What should I wear?

I've been dating this guy for a few months and he's taking me to his home to meet his family. It's going to be an outdoors cookout so I know it'll be hot but I don't want to dress too revealing. Oh and should I bring something to the dinner or give his mom a gift? I'm so confused!

Most Helpful Guy

• Good for you!

Just wear slacks, jeans or other plus a nice but not too daring top. Arrange your hair nicely and be yourself. Be perfectly natural and do not keep thinking that you are "On show." Remember, his parents will be anxious to make a good impression on you although his mother may think she is meeting a rival for her son's love so be aware of this possibility.

Compliments are always a good thing so do not be afraid to tell them how nice the garden is and how beautifully they have prepared the cookout. Tell them it must have been a lot of work etc. but do not overdo the compliments. Ask polite questions about them, the locality, their interests, friends, likings etc. but let them do the talking as well.

As for presents, flowers or chocolates are always a good bet for mothers. A bottle of wine for the man will always go down well, in both senses!

The best wine to take for outdoors is white or rose well chilled. If you suspect the man is a wine lover, go to a wine merchant or get some advice on a good quality easy drinking wine at about £8 a bottle if in the UK.

If you are unsure about his parents, ask your boyfriend a bit about them. For example, does his dad like lager/ wine etc. or is he teetotal.

Finally, just go and enjoy yourself but avoid being led into a corner for snogging, no matter how hard he tries. I can assure you his parents will not like seeing you snog and will blame you afterward saying you are too pushy. Keep in with the crowd although make sure you stay near him or at least with his mum and dad. One final thing, when the party begins to break up, make a move to be going home and only stay another half hour or so if his parents ask you to, not if he asks you to. You will in any case find that the leaving takes at least half an hour!

And, yes, finally, finally, do not forget to thank his parents and compliment them on the lovely time you have had. I must apologize for telling you what you may already know but I am trying to help you have a lovely time.

What Guys Said 4

• Nothing sexy. Be a little bit preppy. (His mother and father's generation will like that.) Nice shorts, new sneakers, good looking (not tight) top, easy on the makeup. If you are of age, bring cold white wine in a nice bag. If not, bring flowers that will go on the picnic table..

You might check with the Boyfriend about the gift. If he says nothing then bring the flowers

• Do you have any sense of intuition? If so, use it. If not, call the whole thing off until you are more sure of yourself.

• Over here, a single flower for his mum would be considered OK, but that's over here.

As to clothes, it's summer, you're young, so almost anything goes.

(there will be some critic behind your back anyways)

• its summer. so either shorts or..a summery dress. make both long enough though. you don't need his parents thinking you're some slut. side dish. is usually best. such as chips or what not

What Girls Said 5

• I'd say dress conservative but not too conservative, just act natural and a gift to his mom would be nice and a good gesture so she remembers you.

• I think you should bring your own dish :D Also are you sure you want to wear a dress? If it's outside I would wear a nice shirt and jeans or some nice looking-durable pants. Or shorts perhaps. Oh and by "own dish" I mean an addition to the food; someone actually thought I meant a real plate >.<

• Not the gift, if you could bring a small side dish then you might have a couple points. As for the outfit, longer shorts and a dress shirt, you could pick out a short dress and again longer shorts (or any shorts that aren't too short), or a skirt and again something dressy. I wouldn't wear something you'd wear out to dinner but nothing that makes you look unprepared or slutty (parents seem to think a lot is slutty "these days"). Hope I helped :)

• Parents seem to think a lot is slutty "these days"

:-O These days? I've known that always. Anyhow, the mum will be critic, the dad will probably thik you're OK.

• Wear something conservative. Shorts and a tee shirt or maybe a tank and a skirt or even a dress. But make sure your skirt/dress comes to at least your knees

It wouldn't hurt to bring a cake or ice cream or some kind of desert

• Wear a cute summer dress. And maybe you could bring a little side dish or a cake or something for dessert.