Why does he make eye contact and then suddenly avoid it?

I’ve hung out with this guy a few times at parties and he always seems to talk to me a lot, more than he talks to anyone else. He is constantly trying to ask me about things that we have in common and he makes a lot of eye contact and is really nice. But it always seems that in a group conversation, he avoids looking at me - he’ll glance at me and then quickly look at someone else. He is not shy at all so I don’t understand why he does this. I don’t really notice him looking at me from a distance, but it seems like he is almost always near me and he sends a lot of signals that he might like me. For example, I frequently bump into him while walking to campus though he wouldn’t typically be arriving at that time and it just seems too coincidental. It seems odd that we would *happen* to run into each other at that time of day. He has also asked me about my schedule and when I get out of class and where I go for lunch.

Anyway, last night he and I were talking while at a party, and it was as if he could care less if anyone else was there, but as soon as multiple people joined our conversation, he avoided looking at me. At the end of the night when I was about to leave and almost everyone was gone, he kind of coyly asked me if I was planning on going hiking soon (since we both love hiking) and I could sense that he was going to suggest that we go together sometime, but he just kind of acted shy and didn’t say anything else. So after waiting a few moments I said goodbye, and he quickly asked me for my number so that next time either of us go hiking, we could go together.

We have so much in common and I really like him but I can’t tell if he likes me or if he just thinks of me as a friend. Why does he act like this?

Thank you so much for your help!

What Guys Said 1

• Try talking to him outside of group convos more often. He'll eventually grow out of his shyness. :D

What Girls Said 1

• He definitely likes you. He's avoiding eye contact in groups because he doesn't want anyone else to notice that he likes you.