African/kinky hair type 4a/b, can someone tell me how this style can be done (pic inside)?

I'm trying to do a Greek/Wrap around/Milk braid (there's a zillion names for it, lol. I want it to look exactly like the photo I linked.

link

I'm guess that the "braid" is a headband, because there's no way I could section my hair and braid it like that, and the braid would appear that thick...I can't see the back of her head, so I'm not sure how the braid is entwined into the roll or bun in the back. If you can find the back view of this style, or something similar that would be great. I watched some videos online but it was geared toward straight hair.

Here's my first attempt: link

I have a round face, so I think it looks best if I had more hair in the front like the Mary J. Blige pic.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• I used to do my hair like this. Yes, it would help to add some hair, as it's easier to do with long hair. Also, her hair is straightened in the pic, so that might look different.

I'm not sure if you want advice on how to do your natural hair this way, or how to actually make your hair look like that.

What I would suggest though, is getting some clip in extensions and putting some in to add length.

What I would do was part my hair straight down the middle from my forehead to my neck, then make braided pigtails - one on each side. Then I would take each braid and overlap them over my head and bobby pin them into place so you can't see the pins and it looks like one braid.

The other main thing is start the braids as low down as you can. Adding some clip in hair in this area can help.

The way I always did this, it didn't go around the back of my head. But if hers does, or it's in a bun, then you would have to add A LOT of extensions and section the hair down the middle, then put it all on one side, make one very long thick braid, then bobby pin it like a headband and finally all the way around the back, or into a spiral bun.

OK hope that helps, good luck!