Why is my hair like straw?

i used to have very nice hair now it is very think and it is always getting knotted so I keep it up in a sloppy bun which that probably don't help anyway I have tried everything ...all kinds of shampoos and conditioners and all sorts of other hair products I have tried all sorts of homemade solutions and its still like straw

Most Helpful Girl

• You said you get regular trims, so it's unlikely that you have a mess of split ends. And you said you don't use heat on your hair much. So I'm at a loss as to what could be causing such damage to your hair, unless you dye it a lot. I can only make a few suggestions.

When you tie it up, make sure you're not doing it too tight, and don't use ties with metal on them. The less breakage, the better. Only wash your hair every other day, even if you shower EVERY day. Hot oil treatments once a week. Olive oil, avocados, mayonnaise, plain yogurt, etc. Try Hask henna and placenta hair mask if you haven't already. The henna they use doesn't change the color of your hair. You can buy it at any drug or natural food store for like $2 or less. Use a deep conditioner instead of regular conditioner each time you wash your hair if you need to, and leave it in for at -least- 5 minutes before rinsing. Use a tiny pea-size amount as leave-in once you get out, or pick out a product that is specifically for that purpose. Shop around for a good sulfate-free shampoo, particularly one with henna in it if you can find one. They can be expensive, but they're worth the money with the difference they make even in the first use. Most shampoos, within the first two or three ingredients, you'll see 'sodium laureth sulfate' or something similar. This dries out the hair, even if the shampoo claims to be a moisturizing formula. Some natural and/or sulfate-free shampoos won't lather like normal shampoos, but that's okay. Don't confuse lack of lather with lack of clean. If you brush or comb your hair when it's wet, make sure you're only using a wide-tooth comb. Invest in some Biotin, or some other similar vitamin supplement designed specifically for skin, hair, and nails. Even prenatal vitamins, as they provide a good balance of some of the most important vitamins, deficiencies of which some may affect your hair. An omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acid supplement might be beneficial, or just boost your intake of fish heavy with omega-3s. Drink a lot of water. Even if you think you're drinking enough, drink more.

What Guys Said 1

• It may be the detergent in your shampoo causing your problem, your hair gets dried out. A lot of shampoos contain SLS which can be a strong detergent and strip the hair of natural oils. Try getting shampoos with out SLS. I like the products from Sensible Addictions (salon quality reasonably priced) they have great fragrances (for women and men). . Also I would consider using a conditioner.

What Girls Said 8

• Have you tried layers?

• Yea but they always tell me I have to cut it really short they said the hair is dead? I get reg trims ever 5 or 6 weeks so idk

• Do you take vitamins?

• Hah, you're just like how I was. It's probably becauce you straighten it to much or use heat. If that's the case you just have to stop lol. I've stopped for like 6 months now and mines gotten better, you're gonna have to let it grow out and get your hair cut a lot. Also the way you eat shows in your hair. Take vitamins.

• i'd say cut it really short and take very good care of it. do you use a heat protectant before you blowdry, straighten, or curl your hair? if not you may be damaging it. also, I'd suggest trying a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner like herbal essences hello hydration and also using a deep conditioning once a week.

• I'm having the same problem. My hair used to be nice and healthy, but now it's dry. When I was younger I did a lots of those hot oil treatments. I'm just starting to do that again. Maybe that or deep conditioning like serenityatmidnight suggested. Or it could even be related to the foods you eat.

• Try the Australian drench shampoos and conditioners ,they do a whole range of deep moisturising products ,also henna wax is really good.

• Hmmm.. maybe you should talk to your doctor. My mom has a problem with her thyroid (not sure of the details) and her hair has been like that ever since she's had it.

• are/were you putting a a lot of heat on your hair?

• Different people's hair are different textures. Not too much you can do about it.