Why is divorce rate higher in western countries?

In less developed countries like mine (India) I don't even no anyone in my relation who has divorced...bt in western countries despite people having better educatn & understanding divorce rate is higher...any guess y this is so?

& I think divorce has very adverse effects on kids as well...

Most Helpful Girl

• IMO, marriage is more sacred in your culture. In fact I believe, it's typical to still have parents arrange a marriage? Whereas in western culture, the institute of marriage and commitment outlook has changed over the years. People tend to forget it's a lifetime commitment, takes work and dedication and entailed vows. They give up too easily, grow bored or think the grass is greener on the other side and get a divorce.

• Of course we have arrange marriages...

• or they just went into the marriage for "fun" and sex, and waiting for a more "fun" person for them to have sex with then drop the marriage. I've heard it happen before.

What Girls Said 4

• I first of all think that people jump into marriage very young and without giving enough consideration to the person that they're marrying. So they fail pretty quickly. Second of all, divorce has become accepted here, it's not taboo. If a couple is unhappy they can get divorced without ridicule. Whereas in your country, I think people stick out marriage for life even if they're unhappy. The odds of all of those marriages being completely healthy, happy and successful are not very high. Some of those are just sticking it out as it's not common to get divorced.

• I don't think so couples just stick without love &passion...it is there but its quite rare....

• Marriage is more of a business arrangement where you are from. Here, people don't want to spend the rest of their lives with someone they're not in love with.

• Marriage is considered to be a union of souls....so I don't think its so easier to walk out of it....u can't rip apart a soul!!!

• I think when most people here marry they feel on some subconscious level that if things don't work out then they can just move on. When you've already given yourself the opportunity to give up...then you will. So many people marry without really taking their vows seriously. Marriage is work and western culture is lazy.

• I think the rate is higher because people can divorce more easily then in other areas of the world.

• i also think that in western countries many girls get married right out of high and then they fall out of love or something goes wrong. because who wants to get married at 19 and have kids...

What Guys Said 4

• The answer is female independence. Women in America have the same opportunities as men and are taught that they don't have to depend on men for anything (and rightfully so). This means they're in a position to where they don't have to take crap from their men and can afford to cut things off when their man does something bad.

• or it could be that women find it so easy to find another man they can go have sex with, I've seen that happen too. Even if they aren't that independent, they feel they can have another man in 5 seconds and usually they can... for some reason men allow this.

• People in developed countries usually have a far weaker commitment to family, so people get really picky and often married couples here in the US will get a divorce because they have a fight and become "unhappy" after a few months.

• we have a very selfish society not just in marriage but in every aspect of ours lives we are very concerned with money well I'm not but most are and most of the divorces are caused by money

• I feel like many people at least in the united states, rush into marriage. Even if they are not young, they was to marry so quickly.

• that's true, they do rush because they just want that instant sex life. They don't even care to figure out if they are ready for a marriage. Dumb people shouldn't be able to have sex.