Bathing suits acceptable, but not underwear?

How come speedos and bikinis be acceptable at the beach or at the pool when underwear are not? I mean, you are showing just as much skin.

I did some research, apparently underwears makes the water dirty if they don't come directly from the washing machine. But I still don't understand why it's less acceptable work on your tan in your underwear.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think it's about the amount of skin so much as the material. If you get cotton underwear wet it can become .. uhhh .. see through. Plus cotton can absorb a lot of water. All in all they just seem less "protective" in water if you catch my drift.

• If it gets "see through" I can understand you, but in other cases I don't get what you mean with less "protective". Bigger risk of camel-toes and more defined bulges?

• Swimsuits are just made of stronger material - it doesn't cling nor does it sag - it just doesn't hold up. I'm sure there are some types of underwear that could pass for a swimsuit. Why not try a little experiment... :oP

What Girls Said 8

• Yeah I get you on the showing skin part, I don't know why people freak out when they see you in underwear and a bra it's the same. BUT underwear isn't acceptable as a bathing suit because it's made out of different material. So when your in the water it's see through or what not. That's the only reason why I wouldn't wear mine in the pool or whatever .

• Underwear is see through when wet.

• finally someone that understands, I think its only inappropriate if your wearing and thong/ lacy and or see-through. I have no clue why its such a big idea, the people that I know things like if you top slips down a bit a it shows a tiny part of your bra they freak out and call you a slut -.-

• Underwear= see through

speedo & bikinis=covered

• haha awesome question! just go for it life's short y but seriously? underwear's not waterproof don't you hate the sensation of wet clothes ew. someone smart has already figured that out hence the invention of swimsuits

• woww you really care about this hahaa

• Underwear falls apart and will ruin the pool.

• Haha this made me laugh because it's true..

What Guys Said 3

• It's because bathing suits are made from skid-resistant material. Who wants to be enjoying a perfect day at the beach only to have some mope walk by in week-old skidded-up drawers?

• English is not my mother-tongue and I don't know what "skid-resistant" it means. I have checked it up and it seems to have something to do with sliding cars, but I doubt that is what you ment.

• In other words.. ANAL SEEPAGE lol

• I was trying to avoid the "A" word, though that term did come to mind. ; - )

• Underwear just isn't viewed the same way. It's more something people like to see when a girl or guy takes their clothes off for you. Swimsuits are also made for water.

• it depends on your body type, no woman or man should wear a thong if they weigh 250+