Am I over-analyzing this or what??

I get different compliments on when I have my afro hair or straight hair... [I'm aware of the "different strokes for different folks"]...but I don't get why people say I look prettier with straight hair.

Do I look hideous with my natural curls? Or is it that my face is usually being shadowed by my huge fro that it's over-whelming?

I tend to go through a straight hair phase but it's so hard to deal with half the time.

Most Helpful Guy

• I heard of a study once that said the reason why hair makes a difference is because it helps categorize people.

Like for example, if you're in an area where most people have curly hair, most people would find you most attractive when you wear your hair curly. So like maybe if you were in the Mediterranean, where lots of people have Euro-curly hair, people would find you most attractive if you had a Halle Berry style haircut (1 inch curls, long hair, etc). If you're in America, where most people have Euro-straight hair, people would find you most attractive if you had straight hair.

I sort of went through the same thing. I'm half Asian but I got totally Asian hair (very straight, jet-black, thick). When I got a buzz cut, everybody said to me "wow it makes you look so much more Asian than you used to" and I didn't really get a lot of complements on it. But when I grew my hair out and styled it like a white guy would style his hair, people said "wow I really like your hair when it's long".

I think the reason is because hair is a primitive tool of knowing who you could trust. In the tribal days, someone with radically different hair is probably not part of your tribe and may not be friendly to you. I think that really all it means in today's world is that if you look a little different, it will just take longer for people to get to recognize your attractiveness.

Personally I think Afros are pretty damn cool, but I think maybe it's because I'm mixed race. I sort of have always loved seeing beautiful people do something different, like girls who get the pixie haircut or dressing uniquely or whatever. Some people that I know don't really understand exotic beauty and seem to prefer people from their own race. Imo, that's their loss.

What Guys Said 2

• Though I think black women look superb either way, I have to admit the straight hair enhances their beauty more than the fro. My girlriend stays natural around the house, but always wears a wig when venturing out.

• You look really hot both ways.

• Thanks I appreciate it. :]

What Girls Said 2

• there is a stigma against natural black hair. if you look pretty with straight hair then you probably look pretty with your natural hair too. I just wanna give you props for being proud and confident enough to wear it like that. it's not that your hair is bad, its that society has trained people to think that afro hair is ugly and less beautiful than straight.

link

link

link

link

link

link

link

• Beautiful and very inspiring photos.

and I agree 19834983649797563964.999% that the media and society don't appreciate natural afro curly hair.

Thanks. :]

• we need pics with both looks!