What's wrong with black hair?

I am a black girl and have a short afro. I go to a mostly white school and my friends make fun of me and say no guy will like my nappy hair. I've only had 1 boyfriend (who was black by the way) and he would make fun of my hair too so I'm starting to believe everyone. Please be honest, is black people's hair unattractive?

Most Helpful Girl

• Nothing is wrong with it. I have relaxed hair, I got my hair relaxed right before middle school because I wanted to fit in. unfortunately there is a stigma against natural hair in the black community. that's why we have good hair/bad hair dichotomy, why so many mothers will perm their child's "nappy" hair when they are young children, and why so many black girls have never even seen their natural texture aside from new growth right before she's about to perm it.

if your "friends" are making fun of your hair then they are not your real friends. you don't put someone down because of their natural features. that would be like telling one of your friends no guy will like her curvy hips or small breasts, you just don't do that!

From what I see, natural hair is slowly making a comeback. I have seen girls I used to go to school with chop off their relaxed ends and rock a short fro, curly and kinky textures and styles are coming back and a lot of guys are growing dreds now.

Be confident and love yourself! you already show strength for not conforming to the "black girl must relax and weave up her hair to be beautiful" mentality.

Natural hair is beautiful Sorry that a bunch of small minded idiots made you feel bad about the hair God gave you that's growing out of your scalp but its not true. they are just brainwashed by the media but you know better!

link

Omg watch this video "Lacefront Shawty" for a good laugh..these guys are clowning girls that wear lacefronts its too funny!

What Guys Said 4

• It will really come down to personal preference on this but personally I really don't have a problem with it and actually find it quite hot. if I was dating a black girl id prefer that I have her as natural as possible and that includes her natural hair, the only reason its really thought of as unnatractive is due to how its not ever displayed as attractive in the media.

I think if your happy with it, than keep it that way because there are plenty of guys that think its gorgeous and prefer it that way

• Black women are more attractive than any other no matter how they choose to wear their hair. My girlfriend likes to wear wigs or weaves mostly, and I have to admit she looks all the more alluring for it. Wear your hair whichever way most appeals to you, but since variety is the spice of life, why not switch back and forth a little?

• thats probably the sweetest thing I've heard, I'm glad you understand her and get it. you're a real man

• Thanks fer sayin! ; - )

• sounds like you are surrounded by shallow ass people. Personally, if my girlfriend or "friends" disrespected me like that I would drop them in an instant.

• sounds good to me keep doing your style girl...f*** what the haters say

What Girls Said 5

• I think afros are cute. you should do your hair however makes you happy and ditch the haters.

• okay... um.. I'm white... and I think that it's your hair.. not all black girls have nappy hair. the ones I go to school with have shiny silky bouncy hair. its simply just you that feels that way. sorry if it sounds rude, but no its not unattractive. do something with your's?!

• What a silly answer; have you ever heard of a weave? The girls you know are probably wearing fake hair--I think something like 95% of black women do!

• When a Black person has "shiny silky bouncy" hair, they're either wearing a weave or they used a relaxer, which is a corrosive material which can burn through your flesh if you're not careful.

Personally, I use the relaxer. But not everyone is in the mood to put corrosive chemicals on their scalp. Some would rather people just accept them for how they're supposed to look.

• Wow. Black girls have textured hair. All of them, unless a parent had a recessive gene that caused their child to have otherwise. Their hair is relaxed or they're wearing weaves or wigs if their hair is not textured.

• Seriously it is not unattractive and don't let anybody tell you that. At the end of the day it will all come down to preferences and the guy who will like you will like your hair too. If someone doesn't it is honestly their problem as long as you own it and you like it. ^^

i shaved my hair two times now i have my hair nappy, i've dated, some people found my hair weird others loved it but i don't mind nor care for i love them as they are and that is all it comes down to: your love of your hair ^^

• Personally, I think that a short afro on a black girl is like, the cutest hairstyle. Absolutely not unattractive at all.

• I like all hair providing it's soft. As long as your hair doesn't look damaged or feel rough, I'm sure many guys will think it's cute. :)