Why can't people accept having unattractive offspring?

Mothers, grandmothers etc. can never admit when they have an ugly kid. Why is this?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm sure when you have your own ugly kids you'll shower them with praise and false euphemisms.

What Girls Said 9

• Because looks don't matter when you're a mother - at least not the looks that count in society. When you look at your kid you don't only see physical attributes, you see everything. You see the curve of a cheek that comes from their father, a quirk of the lips that you recognize as your own. You see a blend of features that is uniquely them but eerily recognizable.

You see every stage of their lives - the past, present, and a hopeful future. You see realized dreams and broken promises and a perseverance that is only witnessed with close proximity.

You're children aren't the Universe but they are your solar system and how could you be that close to a miracle and not find beauty in that?

• Love. Mothers in particular feel a special maternal connection to their children, and often love allows us to look past what others might view as imperfections.

• Because in their eyes they are beautiful

• some parents tell their kids they are ugly even when they're not.

• It's like how you meet someone and their good looking, then you get to know them and suddenly their ugly. But reversed and way stronger. Mothers form bonds and connections with children that no one can understand until they get to that point themselves.

• Some people can...when my friends brother was born, his grandma pulled his dad aside and whispered "don't worry, I can find you a really good plastic surgeon"

But most of the time I think people are just blinded by love for their child

• I dunno. My dad always said I was ugly. I suppose women relatives/friends just want to save your feelings.

• It's ridiculous I think.

• b/c when you become a parent you see your kids through a special filter. they could look like something the cat dragged in and you will just think they are beautiful anyway. I think all children are beautiful (under the age of 10 lmao) some may be more well kept than others but I don't see ugly children.

What Guys Said 9

• the same reason why some people can't handle having their precious ego's getting bruised

• attraction is a matter of opinion, maybe MORE people will like something than another thing but there is always going to be someone who finds what you find repulsive absolutely breathtaking, add that possibility to the incredible love a parent must feel for their child and it's easy to see how that's possible

• Reminds me of a Steven Lynch song link

• Because sometimes things are better left unsaid. Also, people have too much pride...but you have to realize, one day you may have children of your own, and then you may realize how special your children are to you no matter what they look like.

• Like the 2 girls said they're their kids they're going to think they are good looking.

• My mum always tells me when I look ugly/horrible. She never says I look good but when she thinks I look good she will let me know. For example, she will tell me what dress sense she likes on me or what length of hair looks good on me. My point is, if I do look ugly or horrible or hideous she won't hold back. She will let me know and I accept her opinion and am grateful for it so I know what to do and more importantly what NOT to do.

• I actually known a women who said my kids were ugly, I thought it was a bit sad

• how do you feel about your mom thinking your ugly?

• its cause it their kid and they made it so they don't think its ugly cause it looks like them and that messed up if you think your kid is ugly. who ever your talking about is going to hell hah