Do people lie when they say they prefer a good personality over looks?

It seems to me that people say they prefer personality over looks, but I think people say that so they don't look shallow. I feel that people care about looks more than anything else. I have to admit I used to value it more, but I tried my hardest to care about personality, and that's the main thing I look for now. What do you guys think. Girls or guys doesn't matter.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think they are lying, just oversimplifying. It takes work and time to explore a persons actual personality. Appearance is initially much more important than personality as is indicated by no one ever using the phrase "Whoa, check her out! That one is loaded with integrity"

Before getting to know someone you just have a few vague impressions and their appearance. The initial attraction between strangers is often very much based on appearance, dosed with those first impressions. It isn't until later that your true preferences are put to the test.

So, people are stating there very reasonable final deciding factors even if the initial ones may differ due to practicality.

What Guys Said 3

• No, I don't lie at all. I say personality matters so much more than looks because a good compatible personality is very hard to come by, where as someone being attractive really isn't. Also when I begin to like a girl for who she is, she actually starts to get more physically attractive to me. Her looks start to become intertwined with who she is.

• there has to be some attraction or I just couldn't do it...but if a woman has the looks of a 10 and acts like mean lady then she's ugly...its both

• I think they are equal. If I can't picture myself attracted to the person, I can't be with them.

• Who wants someone with an awful personalty?

Kindness

Manners

humor

thoughtfulness

and compassion equals sexy

• Well, I didn't say personality didn't matter. If a girl looks like Megan Fox, but acts like a diva...I wouldn't want her. Personality has to equal looks...meaning they both must be good.

What Girls Said 4

• I believe that some people do indeed care about looks more. Those are normally the people with the bad attitudes, too. There may be this super hot guy but I would never (and I literally mean never) be into him because he is such a jerk. It goes both ways, it just depends what type of person you are.

• I'm going to have to agree with you there. Everyone says, "personality is what counts" but you find many people trying to hook up with others just because of physical appearance... I'm going to admit that if someone is ridiculously good-looking, I'm going to notice...but for me to feel attracted to them, it's going to take more than just that. I'll have to get to know them a little first, I guess.

• I think people prefer looks more...that's just human nature, if you see someone beautiful or sexy, you want to get to know them more. That's when personality comes in. I notices a lot of people do that, but I just tell the truth because I don't see myself as shallow, so it doesn't matter what others think. Most of the time the main people that say that would never give a person they didn't find attractive the time of day, or they'd completely ignore them...but hey that's just my opinion.

• I think it's an exaggeration. When I say I prefer personality, I mean in a situation like this:

MAN #1: Very good looking, 9/10 but bad attitude.

MAN #2: Decently attractive, 7/10, good personality, we have chemistry, I feel good being around him.

I would take Man 2. That is not to say that I would date a man I wasn't attracted to just because he had a good personality. I do care about personality but attraction has to be there as well. I just don't put MORE emphasis on looks than I do personality because I don't care how cute you are, if I don't like your personality we can't date.