How important do you think looks are?

I've been dating quite a few years now and everyone continue to tell me its not about the looks. While it def isn't the most important thing I think it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to date someone I'm not attracted to. I've tried dating guys I was not attracted to at first and I end up wasting my time. They may have a great personality but they don't do it for me in the bed department. I personally think you need some sort of sexual chemistry to make any relationship work. So how important do you think looks are?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think there has to be some sort of physical attraction for a romantic relationship. If it's not there, the relationship will probably never get started. I know I don't ask out girls I don't find physically attractive. At the same time, that alone can not keep the relationship going for very long. It's just the spark. Personality is the fuel.

What Guys Said 4

• Looks are very important. Bad looks are usually a deal breaker. Good looks will get you on to round 2, where you see if your personalities are a good match for each other.

People do not need perfect looks, but they do have to be above a certain thresh hold.

• Looks are important, anyone who says otherwise isn't being completely honest. While looks might not be THE most important feature for everyone, you do need some kind of physical attraction. Part of it is how humans have evolved, its programed in our brains - saying looks don't matter at all is bullsh*t

• Some people tell that looks aren't important, but it's a lie! Looks matter a lot. Looks are the basis of first impression, then comes personality. When you look at a person, you can't really judge their personality, you can more definitely judge their looks.

• Every relationship, except those who are blind, depend on some form of attraction level at first. You simply don't look up to someone and smile if they don't peak your interest in the attraction department.

What Girls Said 2

• in my opinion, they aren't important at all...I think that intelligence, and his personality and character, are all together the ultimate aphrodisiac... xD His looks only add something special about him, but that's it.

I think looks are overrated anyways, for example, I had a relationship of 4 years, and he was definitly very very good looking, way prettier than me, and I used to think he had good personality and character, but he end up cheating on me...and I suffered a lot... so from this experience I learned what is really important in a relationship.

• Yeah I agree with you - people with great personalities are great to talk to and laugh with, but if there's no sexual spark a good conversation is where it stops. Of course, some of the people I've found attractive in the past are not universally good looking and it was their voices or their sense of humor that enhanced their appeal for me. So I guess it's really different for everyone.