What do you feel is our social responsibility?

Many people talk about what others should do to help people, but give an example of what you have done or would be willing to do to help in your community.

While working in Iraq as a military contractor, I worked with Third Country Nationals (TCNs) who worked 7 days a week, 12 hours a day, for less than $2.00 an hour (this is good money for their home country economy). If they decided to buy a pair of shoes on our military base, they had to pay the prices based on our economy. So they would pay two days pay for a pair of shoes which would cost us two hours of pay. After watching a couple of guys get their feet wet while doing their job, I realized they might not have another pair of dry shoes to change into. So for Christmas I made it my goal to raise funds for shoes for TCNs. I sent out emails to friends and families, and collected funds for three months. Then I went online and bought shoes. The first year I was able to raise enough money to buy 40 pairs of shoes. The second year I bought 130 pair. I left the project after 27 months, so that was as much as I could do.

So what is your story?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think we need to do anything big. I think if everyone developed a little social awareness and kindness, the world would be a better place. but most people are too selfish to think of anyone other than themselves. and would have no problems screwing over someone just so they can be ahead.

• A lot of people do think as you suggested, but a few go out of their way to help others. I feel that the more you have, the more you should help. I am not suggesting that someone not enjoy the rewards of hard work, education and making big money, but keep in mind that there is more to life than bigger houses and faster cars (and hotter women). But I really want my question to provoke anyone to look for something they can do, big or small to help someone else. Thanks for your response.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 0