Why do girls usually hang out with other girls in their 'league'?

I saw a question about this on yahoo answers and it kinda sparked my interest, how most girls hang around with other girls who are on the same level of attractiveness as them. I had never thought of it before, but I would say I am like a 7ish and so are my two best friends. Other girls in my school hang around in kinda chiques too, where usually they're with girls who are pretty much the same attractiveness. Why is this?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know why this is true, but it is. At the university I go to I have a bunch of different kind of friends (not in one category) and when I hangout or walk with my one friend to class girls always look at me weird. Like the look like why are you friends with her. My one friend is half puerto rican and half black, and weighs a bit more than me. But its just weird, just because we don't look similar, I get negative looks. But its whatever because I hangout with people that have cool personality's not for looks.