How to get your hair naturally lighter?

So I have auburn hair...but it doesn't seem to have that "shine" to it anymore...my natural blonde/orange-y highlights seem to be fading, and are usually only visible in very sharp sunlight. And my mom definitely won't let me use hair dye to make it lighter again. A year or two ago my hair was really light... like this kind of auburn: link

Now it's gone really dark, about this shade: link

Is there any way to make it go back to what it used to be, without using harsh chemicals or something that will ruin my hair? It doesn't have to be exactly the same shade as before, just lighter...

Most Helpful Girl

• Whenever going lighter, It always is pretty harsh on your hair no matter what you do. Any colors on your hair are going to cause damage whether light or dark there's always going to be some degree of damage.

For starters DONT use Sun In. It really damages your hair, leaving it dry. I used it when I was younger, so I know from experience. Lemon juice causes damage too.

If you want to go lighter I would get something done professionally. That's always the best thing to do. ESPECIALLY when wanting to go lighter. Stylists know what they're doing, and know what to do to cause the least amount of damage to your hair. They'll also recommend products that will make your hair healthier.

If you want your hair to shine try BedHead Adrenaline Rush spray. You put it on dry hair and it gives it a shine.

What Guys Said 1

• Sunlight is the most natural way to bleach hair.

Here's a suggestion, just go for a product that shows results faster and that doesn't result in cancer.

What Girls Said 5

• As others have said, lemon juice is a good way to get some natural highlights (just remember, once the sunlight changes the colors, you're stuck with it until it grows out)

• look 4 sun in at the store usually target,wallmart,and wallgreens everyone sells it it works great it's heat activated and all you have to do is after you wash your hair spray some in and eith let the sun dry it or blow dry it. you will see results in a few days of using it. its bacically just lemon juice but in spray form works great! and is only like $4

• link works really well :)

• Put lemon juice in it an let it dry in the sun. It will take more then one time.

• I heard if you put lemon juice in your hair and sit out in the sun you will get natural, light highlights.