Meeting his parents for the first time, which dress?

a. link

b. link

c. link

d. link

they are throwing a formal dinner party at their house to celebrate their anniversary and I want to make a good impression.

my personal choice is the last one, but is that too much?

• Dress A
  • Dress B
  • Dress C
  • Dress E
PS: I'm 23

and ignore the prices please. vote just on the dress itself
thank you for the replies

I am thin and tall, my dress size is 2. so I think I could pull off the first dress. but it's just so plain. but like you guys said, I could dress it up

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely A! You'll look like a prissy skank if you were the others to meet parents for the first time, regardless of the occasion! Even choice B has too much cleavage. Wear a flashy necklace and you'll be set. If you want them to take you seriously you have to look serious about being a future wife! It screams Audrey Hepburn and I think most parents want their son with someone like that (obviously you know what kind of person he is, not me), but guessing from your ritzy and expensive taste, they must be a high class family. Good luck! I remember buying 4 different dresses to meet my guys parents haha.

What Guys Said 8

• O.K so here goes for my fashion designer expertise. So even though it is the most expensive one and you could probably get something similar much cheaper I say go with A. Not too overly flashy or elegant (see its not about you here) it's formal yet simple so you'll stand out in certain ways but not too much and since its so simple you won't make any overly noticable fashion boo boos. Hope that helps:)

• I would say letter A. It is plain in some ways, but also traditional which might be good since this is the first time with his parents. You do NOT want to be too flashy or too revealing. A few accessories will make it look great!

• The last 2 are way to ostentatious, in my opinion. The first one is nice and elegant, but rather plain. I think B is the best.

• The fourth may draw a little too much attention and the parents might not like it. So, go with the third. Its better to be safe then sorry.

• A is the most elegant, IMO. It's classy, and less is more, in some cases.

• A or B. The sequins would give me a headache.

• im not really positive about them meeting you on their anniversary seems a bit suspicious to me

• why?

• seems too classy to be meeting u. it should be in a relaxed environment. theyll be tense and thatll make you tense. just sounds fishy and suspicious to me

• Damn right it's the bomb ! The last dress will impress them and you'll be confortable forgetting about it.

What Girls Said 23

• I think the second one; personally my 3rd and 4th are my favorites but you cannot outshine them at their own party, you don't know them yet and they might be the type of people who could care less if you look way better than them but you don't know. My problem with the first is that, and I am a Fashion Merchandising major, it is so simple and plain that if his parents are really outgoing and fun they might find it a bit boring...You want to stick out somewhat. It is a nice dress but it's almost too conservative. Also, I know you said ignore the prices but unless you can afford to spend that much on a fairly regular basis you REALLY should not splurge on a dress for something like this; they might be impressed by an Armani label this time but next time they see you if you're wearing a dress more in the $200 range they might realize you just spent $900 to look impressive which looks kind of like reckless spending... Who knows maybe you are a millionaire and spend this much every weekend for dresses but seriously keep that in mind.

• I don't think any of those is appropriate. The first is too plain, the second is too funeral like and the last two are too flashy.

I'd go for something like this instead since it's a formal dinner party.

link

• I love the last dress, its perfect for the holiday! Sexy and festive, I would go with link d.

the first one looks like your going to a funeral, the second one is modest, but I feel like its kinda boring. C is way 2 much but, d is just right, especially if you have a fun and flirty personality to go with it. In fact I might just buy it myself :)

• I think the second dress is perfect--you can look sexy, classy, and understated. The last one strikes me as a little out of place at a winter thing, and too sparkly at someone else's party. The first one is too plain, but not out of the question, and C is way too sparkly.

• I dunno, but C and D are really hard to pull off without looking too flashy and superficial.

Just wear a dress that suits you and don't make you seem too stuck up, even if his parents might be upper class and used being dressed like C and D all the time ;)

• def. NOT c or d...its the parents. You need to look sophistocated, subtle and classy. Choose 1 or 2. I like A, simple and sexy

• I LOVE the third one the most. Not just because it's the most pretty one to me but it doesn't draw attention to your assets. Yaknow, when girls go to meet the family and they have their boobies hanging out. Very classy. :) Plus it's not almost a thousand dollars..

• i would go with number one. remember it is their special day! you don't want to be over dressed! black is always a safe choice! :)

• i Say Dress B Or D :D

• The first one is better for a first meeting with his parents. It's formal and will give them a good impression. The second one is just not a style I like and the other two are too flashy for the occasion.

• I gotta say dress 1 cause you don't want to look to flashy right away.

The last one would be cute for a new years eve party :)

• Even if A is a little plain, you're meeting his parents and want to make a good impression on them. Who says you can't add some accessories to it ?

B [ although cute ] has a deep V neck, and the last two are a bit too flashy for that occasion.

• Wow, you have expensive tastes O_o

I'd go with A or C. The neckline on B is too low and D is probably a little too glamorous.

• Defiantly A. It is simple, yet elegant. It would make a great first impression.

B shows too much cleavage for when you're meeting the parents.

C & D are too fancy, you will give them the wrong opinion.

• If you could find a style like C but just plain black or a deep color or neutral with simple accessories go with that. Personally C is my favorite but over the top and flashy. D I don't like. A is to conservative. And B has to low of a neck line.

• Dress A. a simple black dress with a few simple accessories can make a great impression. simple, elegant, sophisticated without being too in your face.

• I like the last dress also. It's not like it has a low bust line and it's not strapless. Personally, I like the last one the most but the first one is also very nice. I don't really care for the other two.

• I would go with third. :)

• I picked A because the sparkles are just...no. B seems to have a low neckline which could send the wrong message.

A is the best, no doubt! It's simple, elegant, and would give you an impression that you're an intelligent, mature young woman.

Anyways, GOOD LUCK! :)

• I love the Elie Tahari sequin dress. It's dressy and flashy, but not overtly so. I hardly think it's plain. I think the others are plain, in comparison. If that's a cause of concern for you, you could always accessorize with some gold bracelets, cocktail rings or a necklace. Same for your heels, you could make them be more of a statement than your dress. Also, you can pair it with a black sweater or cardigan in case you get cold you can take it off, and if you get warm you can remove it at your leisure. I'm sure the dress would fit you beautifully if you're tall and thin.

Good luck meeting the parents.

I don't know how this answer got so long. I just get jazzed about fashion. o_o

• fashion major? if not, you might want to. you said it yourself "i just get jazzed about fashion"

• Lol. Good point but that won't pay the bills, unfortunately.

• I love, love, love the second dress. (:

• you wouldn't even want to dress it up too much. like they say, less is more that dress is subtly elegant and much more sophisticated than any of the others

• since you're 23 these are all pretty appropriate. it all really really depends on your body shape though, because although I'm sure you're incredibly lovely, most people do not look like models lol I LOVE the first one but you need to be really thin to pull that off but it is so incredibly classy and you can dress it up a bit. the second is also very pretty but if you have big boobs it might be a little too much, but as long as your boobs are relatively small then you would be fine but I still like the first one better... the third one is kinda flashy... not a huge fan for this setting, it kinda just sits on her shoulders, gives her no shape. at first I thought the last one was too flashy but as I thought about it, this is a formal dinner party and you are 23 lol flashy isn't what you need to worry about with parents, it's trashy you gotta watch out for, and it's hard to find trash at saks but if you do wear the last one, you'll need to pair it like she does in the photo with a very calm shoe, either a nude or black pump and very minimal jewelry but I think if you have curves, I like that one best :) if you're that thin and you can pull off the first one though, do it, not many people can and it's lovely.