Women: why do you buy an article of clothing, wear it once then leave it to "rust"?

waste of money?

obviously you look good in w/e your wearing, regardless, but especially if your using our money, we're not gonna be too happy, it'd be like taking a bite of your meal then throwing it away, that's a waste of food AND money

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 11

• Well, essentially, the media and advertising industry and corporations have figured something out: if you exploit people's self-esteem, you can get them to buy things that they don't need, and make a bigger profit.

Now, men aren't completely immune to this, but they've figured out that women are more susceptible to it---so we've become their target audience. So, we're pretty much bombarded with the message that we aren't good enough the way we are, so we need to change everything about ourselves and buy, buy, buy in the process. We watch tv, read magazines, look at billboards and they all tell us that we're fat and ugly and disgusting; guys won't like us, women won't want to be our friends, we won't get that job we want or be taken seriously in the job we already have---but don't despair! They also have a solution for this problem! Buy the latest, trendiest shoes and clothing (and get rid of the stuff you wore last season because they aren't in style anymore!), buy an overpriced Coach purse, don't wear the same party dress to more than one occasion (someone might see you in it and think you're too poor to buy a new one!), These ideas have become so ingrained in us that they're self-propagating---we judge each other based on what we're wearing, further pressuring each other to stay current with the fashion trends and buy overpriced items because the brand is trendy at the moment. The result is that we buy things we don't need (and sometimes don't even want), and sometimes we wear these things once and then it sits in our closets, never to be worn again.

• That only applies to dresses, but I rarely wear them anyway. I usually buy something I like and try to wear more than once...lol There are some women who buy stuff at the mall and it's still sitting in the bag it came in. I will admit there was a time where I was just browsing a store and came across a sales rack. I found a shirt and eventually bought it. It looked good in the store, but different when I brought it home. I wore it once or twice...I couldn't return it since it was on sale. So I'm now stuck with a shirt I don't really wanna wear.

• sell it/ charity. don't just let it sit there collecting dust and rust. like a used car

• Charity sounds like a good idea. I need extra hangers.

• theyre cheap. buy them

• ...I usually don't. But when I do, it's probably because I tried it on in the store, but then when I got home I realized that either it's something that doesn't go with anything else in my wardrobe, or it's super uncomfortable or ill fitting.

• lol true

i only wear probably about 20% of my clothes in my closet, I stopped going shopping as much as I use to.

• I usually buy what I want with my OWN money,and since I bought it...i wear it whenever I want to. Whether it's a day or a month down the road from the actual purchase date...i wear things wheb I want to or feel like it.

• simple answer:

...because we don't have anything that matches. :P

We have to go out and find those things to match it. :)

• I don't do that. Don't have enough clothes, and I don't care bout repeating outfits who's gonna remember what specific day you wore an outfit. Well I guess a stalker. :)

• Because we can?And no one is using your petty money.

• guys don't do that, we know better. and like I said. IF you are using our money, we're not gonna like it

• Most girls aren't supported financially by guys.So ok.I'd be pissed if someone else was using my hard earned money too.

• mhmmmm :P

• Because we only want to wear it once. Like if you buy an evening gown. Are you going to wear it every evening? Maybe it's a special occassion. All clothes aren't expensive. If I buy something that I know I'm not gonna wear that much I will get it cheap usually, but my style is so good that all my clothes look expensive even if it was like $20.

Also I like to have a variety of clothing. I don't want to just have 3 pairs of pants, 5 shirts and 2 shoes and rewear my sh*t like a cartoon character. A good wardrobe consists of mixing and matching and its best to do that with a lot of clothes (get it). But since I have my own money and pay for it, I can do what the hell I want! guys don't have to like it or understand it. If I buy a $400 dress and let it sit in my closet, I can do that because it's my money. get it? And seriously most girls buy their own clothes. If their boyfriend or husband takes them shopping every now and then for a special occassion or buys them 1 article of clothing that's like a gift, but I highly doubt that all these women are being financially supported by their men to buy clothes. Most of us make our own money and buy our own stuff so again why are you complaining? If you are buying YOUR girl stuff don't put it on all of us, like all of us are being bankrolled by a guy

• its more of a moral thing. why buy something your gonna wear once, and that's it. better to rent it

• uh what? how do you know the woman doesn't also own her own home that she stores her clothes in? its 2010 women own homes now. did you also know we vote too?

• im just saying..its a dumb waste of space and a waste of money, just because its urs doesn't make it right

• That's usually with dresses for formal events. I have tons of dresses I bought for formal parties that are collecting dust at the back of my closet. But thsoe are different, because you can't wear the same dress twice

• so sell or give them to charity. why let it sit in the dust and rust

• Nope. I only buy things I plan on getting use out of.

• i wasn't getting specific, about it. I was just saying to those who do

What Guys Said 1

• LOL, tell me about it.