Could you survive a week without makeup?

In a similar manner to the other question I asked on this site, I've been reading through other peoples questions and the subject of makeup and how much to wear etc. has come up quite a bit. So I'm just curious do girls wear makeup as they feel it enhances what they've got or is it worn as a mask to hide behind. As such I've decided to put forward the challenge above, 'Could you survive a week with no makeup'. I'll even expand it to include jewelery, the exceptions to this being items which have sentimental value (e.g. wedding ring) or are practical (e.g. watches).

Basically the challenge is simple (on paper at least) wear no makeup for a week and keep a mental note of how you felt before, during and after the week and if people treated you differently during the week and post them below as an answer. Also include a very, very brief description of yourself (e.g. I'm a tomboy/'girlie girl', I'm quite shy/self-conscious/outgoing/adventurous) and info on how much makeup/jewelery you typically wear.

So is anyone up for the challenge? For those who wouldn't dream of leaving the house without makeup and have no intention of trying, respond anyway with your views on the matter. Similarly, for people who decide to stop midweek respond anyway and state your reason for doing so.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wear makeup very rarely. If it's a fancy occasion, I'll put some on. It shows extra effort and it dresses things up.

If I'm sick, I'll also put some on because I like to pretend that I'm not sick... and I figure if I give people something else to look at, I won't look as gross. :(

The most I ever wear is eyeliner and mascara-- occasionally I'll put on some lipstick if I wanna look sultry or something, haha, but usually end up wiping it off after five minutes...

I've only worn makeup twice in the past three weeks and once was for a fancy banquet. The other was because I woke up late, was really sleepy looking and had no time to shower. I took two seconds to put on some eyeliner so I didn't look like a 100% failure haha.

As far as my personality, I'm pretty outgoing, kinda studious... I wear makeup occasionally, and my jewelery changes... sometimes I wear tons of bracelets, usually one necklace (sentimental or not), and I used to wear a watch. I always have a hairband on my wrist for practical purposes.

What Girls Said 76

• I don't wear makeup. The only thing I wear is *sometimes* eyeliner or mascara when I go to a really important event like a wedding. Otherwise I don't think it's worth it.

I don't want to have to put makeup on the for the rest of my entire life just to make someone else happy. I'd rather find a guy who likes me for who I am and for what I look like than to have to constantly "put on my face" every morning just because "Oh god I look so different without it!" I think once you wear it often enough you become trapped - you can never stop wearing it because it just changes your image that much.

I don't think I look bad without it at all. It's a nice thing knowing that I'll be able to go to bed at night and wake up in the morning looking the exact same - no "just out of bed look" without all my makeup on or anything.

I also don't wear jewelry, because I don't want to have to get into the routine. But that's an entirely different thing. I'm also an artist so I don't need all that stuff jangling around, haha.

• I have not worn make up for about 2 closer to 3 years and I'm 20 years old. I have actually got many compliments for doing such a thing. Sure a little touch of make-up can enhance they way some girls look but I feel its too often overdone. There are a lot of times actually I see girls who make themselves look worse with makeup. Its also nice if I stay out overnight somewhere I'm the only girl who doesn't wake up looking like a raccoon ha ha, I look the same as I did going to bed as I did waking up. Not to say I disagree with makeup. A person should look just slightly enhanced, not like a mask or to the point the person is unrecognizable without makeup. Basically be just as attractive with makeup as without

• Lol, of course I could.

It's more of a hassle anyway. xD

I'm not sure if it's going to do much, but I'll try the challenge. :3 I guess that means I have to describe myself, right?

I'm a girly-girl, for the most part, and I'm kinda 'outgoing' and 'impatient' when it comes to dealing with people. I don't wear any jewellery, save for the silver ring my grandmother gave to me for Christmas, and I don't wear much make up--or, I don't think so. I just have liquid foundation, a bit of counselor for this stubborn red-spot on my cheek, powder to set, mascara and a little eye liner so my eyes don't look so 'blah'. I guess it's what people say is a 'natural look' (ha ha, ironic, huh?)? Well, I hope I did it right. xP I'll start as soon as school does, seeing as I'm a lump on the couch during the summer.

• Absolutely.

Some girls just look completely different and sometimes very unattractive, without makeup on their face. I do like a bit different, but not an "OH MY GOSH, HER FACE!" difference. I only really wear mascara, and various colors of eyeliner, so when I take it off, it doesn't make that much of a difference, because it wasn't that much makeup to begin with.

I could survive a week without makeup, because I look the same without it, so there isn't even really a point of wearing it in the first place. I just wear it because it makes my eyes pop. :)

• Im the tomboy/girly type..lol love sports etc, but as I've gotten older I've become more girly..only up until a few years ago did I get "into" make up, but still I don't wear face make up, only eyeliner eyeshadow that bring out my BIG BROWN EYES! =) but I def could live without it for a week, I could also live without my jewelry, but only for a week! haha!

• This was really interesting I'm really glad you posted this. I didn't relly do the no-makeup thing this week because I'm on Winter Holiday so that would be the easiest thing in the world :P But I haven't been wearing a lot of makeup lately, like at school it'll just be some mascara for the day. At first I felt terrible and wore my glasses a lot to cover up the fact that I had no makeup on, but after a while people said they liked the more natural look on me so I just barely wear makeup anymore at all. It was really hard to do since I'm a really shy person, but I'm glad now I can actually walk out of the house with no makeup on and not care if other people think it looks okay or not.

• yea. it's nice and all, but that sh*ts expensive.. now if you wanted to take basketball or cod away from me...that's when I'd have a problem! lol :D

• Hm... I could go without make up, I have a couple of times. My skin hasn't been clear lately though, I would feel super self conscious. I look basically the same with or w/o makeup when my face is clear.

My hair is blond so my eyelashes don't stand out though. Take in consideration, a brown haired girl who was just as attractive as a blond haired girl would look better without makeup because her eyelashes are naturally dark.

• SO true about the eyelashes... without mascara my eyelashes look verryyyy light and it makes my eyes look a little smaller and tired even though they are big! If you take a girl from India for example and take all her makeup off, she looks like she still has mascara on because her eyelashes are already so dark!

• Well, that's an easy challenge for me, I don't wear any makeup or jewelry except for lip gloss and occasionally mascara.. So I'm going to pass, because I've been doing this my whole life.

I'll talk about the first day I wore mascara, foundation, blush, and a brighter lip gloss, though. One person noticed and she thought I did a good job for my first day of wearing makeup. I didn't really feel so good though, because I'd rather people not notice me. Plus I felt kind of fake because she noticed that I had make up on to begin with. So I haven't really worn any makeup since.

I'm a girl who's lazy and doesn't put any effort into how she looks, really. I sort of like being ignored, and I'm more introverted than shy.

• I don't wear make-up. I've only worn it once to get my picture taken for professional photography class... It's not that I think "I'm so hot" without make-up. I'm just too lazy for it. Besides, the thing about make-up is that you only look best when it's fresh. It's inconvenient and impractical to erase your make up and redo it every 3/4 hours when you're at work. But at the end of the day people with make up don't look that much better than the ones without, since after a long day of work, make up is smudged and looks droopy.

I am a girly girl, but I have semi-tough attitude. E.g. I wear tight jeans, I put my hair up and down, I do wear feminine colors. But if you mess with me like just joking around, I won't get upset or anything. I'm like sarcastic in a teasing way with guys... Like teasing-love-hate relationship kind of girl. And I love it.

• I do that almost every week...especially since my concerts and other events are over, plus it's too cold to get "pretty." I think the last time I did wear make up was for my orchestra concert last week. I don't like wearing make up all the time because it's sometimes a pain in the morning [ or whatever function I'm going to starts ] to put on. The times I do put some on is because I want a different look for that day. It doesn't mean I have low self-esteem or I don't feel good about myself.

• I wear makeup as a complete habit...although I don't believe I look awful without it,just more put together so to speak. I also love makeup and I was once a makeup artist. Unfortunately,i am not entirely ready to go makeup less.:( Usually when I do,I am wearing a hat or something to cast some shadows over my face...hmmm...:/

• i don't get the whole makeup thing either, I only wear it for special occasions like dates or weddings, or things like that. so yes, I could survive a whole week without makeup. besides, makeup gives you wrinkles and when you take it off people think you look like a troll. hahaha

• Maybe... I have clear skin naturally and nice features, but all my features are like albino. XD My lashes are white blond in color so I look really weird without mascara at least. And I'm very pale so blush helps too.

I usually wear one necklace and maybe a bracelet. Earrings too, if it doesn't overdo the look.

• Yes. I don't apply makeup on my face at all :D

• Easily, I wear a bit of make-up everyday but It wouldn't bother be if I had to go somewhere and live without makeup. I beleive that a girl can be pretty without makeup but to me make-up enhances your beauty

• Pfff- From 6th-7th grade the most I ever wore was lip gloss or lip balm due to chap lips. It's pretty easy, I've had weeks where I just was to lazy to get up and get all "pretty".

The only thing I believe is 100% needed is lip gloss/Lip balm because of chap lips. Othen then that I only wear it when I feel like it or bored in the morning,

• i hardly ever wear jewelery and I wear just mascara and foundation to hide pimples but in summer when it`s hot and I go to work most of the time I don`t wear make up and when I do like once a week (if I am already wearing make up and I am too lazy to pull it off because my work starts at 19:30) nothing is different

• I never wear makeup except for on special occasions, and the jewellery I wear has sentimental value. I suppose a better challenge for me would be to pile it on everyday for a week. No way am I getting up any earlier to do that.

I'm very shy. A feminist, kind of a tomboy.

• no I don't think I could at all. I don't wear much make-up because too much around my eyes makes them water. Usually I wear concealer and eye liner but I use the brown eyeliner, and I have dark brown, long, curly eyelashes so it doesn't look too intense. I wear make up for me, and I only go without when I'm at home, so uless the week was a week spent at home I couldn't do it.

• Nope. I don't wear much makeup but I at least need concealer everyday because my dark circles are atrocious.

• i don't think I could go a week without it. I enjoy weekends when I don't bother putting it on unless I'm going out but I don't think I'd feel comfortable going to work and to classes without it. for me I feel it both enhances my features and hides flaws, like the dark cirlces I have under my eyes.

• My style is like a mix between preppy and rock, I usually only wear a bit of cover up ( to cover a pimple or two) and a small amount of black eyeliner (very lightly) but lately because its been so cold where I live I have like a bit of darker colouring round my eyes and I feel like my skin is really bad (it isn't its just not flawless) so I have been wearing cover up under my eyes, skin colour eye shadow, with a tiny bit of light brown on top with tiny bit of eyeliner and the bottom with some mascara. I can easily go without make up I never wear it on weekends and I find people tend to treat me pretty much the same, sometimes people are nicer and guys seem to really like the whole natural beauty crap :P

• ok, a few years ago I would have done this, now I cant. I have to go out with makeup on, only about 5 people outside of my family have seen me without makeup on and they were shocked. I wear it because I am self conscious with all of my basically so I feel wearing makeup and doing my hair (not extensions) draws attension away from some bad parts of myself. I could survive a week wearing makeup if I was in the house and people came to the door, that's as far as I would go.

• What has changed between now and a few years ago and out of interest how were they shocked, was it simply that you weren't wearing makeup or at how you looked? Also your bad parts, how did you decide they were bad did someone say something to you or is it your own opinion of them?

• somehow my mum kicking me out of my home when I was 12 knocked my confidence because I had to change everything I knew and did in a routine. It just changed me. They were shocked that I wasn't wearing makeup, and shocked on how different I look and act without it. For the bad parts its been other people saying about them and then me concentrating on them all the time.

• Sorry if I brought up bad memories. If it helps people (teenagers especially) tend to put people down as by making others look bad they feel it in some way promotes them and also diverts attention away from what they're self conscious about, also, some people are just asses. If you want my opinion, from your pics I don't think you have anything to feel bad about regardless of how you style yourself but I appreciate your points. If you don't want my opinion, then I dunno,unread the last sentence

• I could, but I wouldn't look as good with it. Though my skin would shine through, I have teenage acne skin so yeaaa blemishs:P

How about this? Ill only wear cover up on blemishes one or two days this week!

• well for me at least, make-up is a way to boost both my looks and self-confidence.

it works like this: wearing make-up makes me feel pretty

if I don't wear some make-up I feel ugly , even if I'm not

• i love makeup ever since I can remember I used to crawl on to my grand mothers vanity to reach for her makeup

can I survive without it for a week? yes I can but I would still count the day til I could wear makeup again

• HELLLLL NO.

honestly, makeup makes me feel confident and somewhat pretty.

without, I feel and look like sh*t.

• I only wear make up for job interviews and performances (singing ) so sure ..on a off week tht I'm not doing either of those I would be up for it

• I do it all the time. If I do decide to put on make up its eye shadow and liner. That's about it.

On the other hand my dad's wife person needs the cake full of make up, she looks dead without it.

• More from Girls
    46

What Guys Said 4

• 28 years and counting

• Yes, I've survived years without makeup...

• i think the question is whether or not us men could survive a week without women wearing make up :P

• Yes.