How important is relative income?

Rate how important you feel it is that the man make at least as much money as the woman.

• Not Important At All
  • Slightly Important
  • Somewhat Important
  • Very Important
  • Necessary

Most Helpful Girl

• Doesn't matter to me. I dated an artist once and the guy was broke, but he was a good lover and made me happy. Based on that, I don't care. I make my own living.

What Girls Said 18

• I think it depends on the guy's choice of career - if he's following his passion and it's not taking off then it should be expected that he isn't going to bring in a lot of money. I would work hard and support my guy if he was a struggling artist or a fledgling business owner or whatever because he's working just as hard but with little monetary results.

If he was just free loading - then no, just no.

Staying financially stable can be very stressful, I can understand why anyone would prefer a partner who would share that responsibility - but it doesn't always work out that way. I've been with men who were stable and men who made less money than I made but I've never been with a guy who wasn't working hard at SOMETHING. If he had ambition, regardless if it makes money, then I didn't care how much he made.

• I don't think it really matters at the beginning but for long-term and around mid-life I think it would be somewhat important that the man make as much (or more if they want) as me. The more money coming in the better whether it's for necessities (CHILDREN, bills, so on) or luxuries (nice cars, technology, family vacations, exotic food I want to cook [or he can if he wants], etc,.)

Also I've been in relationship when I made more money than the guy and they would either get all pissy about it and use my "wealth" against me or try to use me as if I'm supposed someone's suga mama.

So when the guy is focused on his own income I'm comforted by the fact he isn't worried about mine and if he just makes more in general I love it I think it's pretty manly being the main provider. I don't know I've always been into the traditional roles so I'll play that too.

• Insignificant. As long as he has an average salary, I'm OK with that. I don't expect to marry a billionaire.

• I don't really care what you make so long as you're not bumming off me. I don't make much but I do what I love, and I make enough to get by and go to college which is much more important to me. I'm happy if you're a motivated person that I click with and we have enough to get by. However, if you put yourself down about it and make money an issue or point of strain in a relationship I'm out.

• I am a woman who always looks ahead to the future, I don't date just to date! So if there are feelings of taking things to the next level, then I must say you don't have to be rich, but we must be comfortable in the financial department both ways! We must both be comfortable with what amount the other makes.

I don't want to say that money makes or breaks a relationship but being comfortable financially does squash any possible stress in that area a long the way, ie no fighting about amount money available or who makes more than who.

• Get a grip on reality, girls and boys! You want someone who will be able to help support a household just as much as you. I'm sorry, but I am nobody's sugar mommy.

• I am sorry, but I am not going to coddle a woman who married me for my paycheck. It's one thing to have personal ambition its another to strive to become a prepubescent Daddy's girl.

• I just find it funny how you judge my personal opinion based on my age, and now where I reside. Glad you studied up on me. And I wasn't ever saying I wouldn't be able to love someone who doesn't have generally the same income rate as I do or higher. I'm saying, I want someone who will be able to. I wouldn't go and turn someone away if they had a lower income, but I have hopes that whoever I do end up loving is financially stable. And oh, I'm sorry, I didn't think you ever even had to comment on

• ... my age. And well, I can take care of myself. I have been since I was 7 years old. I was practically a mother to my own mother. But, in a mature gesture, I would like to apologize for my not-so-polite behavior. But I really do despise people judging my knowledge based on my age and so I felt as if I had to defend myself.

• I don't think it matters just as long as who ever I'm with has a job and isn't lazy. If they are doing something they love and it happens to not pay that much that's fine with me as long as it is a pretty steady job.

• I hope this answer epitomizes the majority. In my mind, it does.

• I don't think my sig other necessarily needs to earn the same as I do. But if he wants to sustain a certain lifestyle he needs to have the ability to pick up the pieces if something happens to me. I'm not going to jump into a mortgage with the doughnut guy that can't earn any dough, sorry. We would have to rent a small place that was more realistic & save like crazy. Stability matters to me.

• I've only dated one guy who has made more money than me, and 0 with a college degree (I have mine), so it's not really that important, but I do feel that having drive and a good work ethic is very important... because even if you don't make much income, you can still take care of your woman in other ways!

• I just don't want to be single my whole life. Relative income isn't that important, although hopefully we'll make about the same so that there's no tension.

• Money shouldn't be anything to worry about in a relationship. If you love each other, you will support each other, however most guys wouldn't like it if their wife made more than them. I don't think it's very important as long as the guy fulfills his role.

• I plan on having a good job, so I know I'll be earning enough money to look after myself. As long as he's making an effort to earn money, then I'm okay with it. Just as long as he wasn't sitting around doing nothing and spongeing off of me then I'd be fine with whatever :)

• I voted C, somewhat important. I plan on getting a career myself, so I know I'd be able to take care of myself... but, I'd also like to know that he can support our family financially and include entertainment. Just how women like to be spoiled, I'd spoil my man. But it has to be mutual :D

• so you want your own money *and* his?

• i think what you're saying is that he should be able to support himself? I don't see why you should only have to be able to support yourself, but he has to be able to support both of you

• Yes, he has to be able to support himself, and me. I also don't expect him to work hard and have me at home being a lazy ass lol.

• I worked hard to get where I am today. I expect to find a man that has a salary that is equal, more a little less than mines. Sorry dudes but I need security the world's getting to hard to be dating a bum

• i don't feel its important, well as long as he doesn't depend on me to support him financially.

• I think it's very important because I plan on being successful and financially secure. So I'd expect my future husband to at least match my income. We'd have more opportunity to live the kind of life I want and would have been working hard for. One of us would save and the other would pay bills.

• Thank you! Someone who tells it like it is.

• But what if he decided to become a school teacher after he got another job that made 80+k . Would you still love him? I'm guessing you will. But I just wanna ask.

• My love for someone won't change if they don't make as much money as I do. Money doesn't define you. But I only plan on marrying someone who is driven, hard working and gets results.

• I plan on being able to support myself, so as long as he can do the same, we're good.

• He needs to make just as much as me or more would be better

• If someone has the same goals in life, they tend to have similar interest/ income. Hence, I don't think it's shallow to judge someone by their income. It's how much they are worth in the work market, and they only way to grow is to surround yourselves with successful, driven people.

• Then say you wouldn't settle for a guy working menial jobs such as retail and fast food. Those are the types of jobs that realistically cannot support the typical American family. They don't come close to 40K. Using examples such as those instead of "40K" would have made you seem a little less superficial and shallow.

What Guys Said 8

• As long as both incomes combine allow for comfortable living and decent savings, it should'nt matter at all. With dating it's only important to decide who's paying for what but in marriage everything should be split down the middle.

• Wouldn't matter to me either way. If I made 5x as much as she did, nobody would bat an eyelash. It's basically the definition of sexism to have a problem with her making more than me, if I wouldn't have a problem with me making more than her.

• My yearly income is nil. So I am already disqualified from cavorting with women. Wouldn't matter if some girl I fancied made nothing, like me, or was a Fortune 500 CEO. It just ain't on. Of course it ain't on for other reasons -- I am misanthropic, I am ugly inside and out, I am misogynistic, racist, homophobic, fascist, psychopathic, barbaric, untrustworthy, lazy, parasitic, and intolerant. So putting it all on money is a mistake.

• It matters.

I find that women who make more are also more mature and are less likely to pull childish games. Also women who make more usually have this aura of confidence which is extremely attractive.

• Well it all depends on what you mean by "income". If you are making enough to live and have a place then in my book I consider that important. A little bit of extra money never hurt anyone , but in my view is not neccisary.

• Well I guess no one wants a bum :) As long as there's initiative to make a living it should be appreciated. A job at walmart should be seen in no less light than a job at Microsoft.

• Well I can never be with a girl that I surely know makes more money than me.

It's not about sexism but just a man ego thing. When you think of a man what come sto mind first? POWER/TAKE CARE OF THINGS

• Interesting answers from the woman. Thus the moment of truth.