Is it possible someone looks good (cute/attractive) in real life, but not on photographs?

Someone looks good in real life, but not in the pictures?

and

Someone looks good in photos, but not so much in real life?

Most Helpful Guy

• Lots of people will just "take a photo" with whatever camera they have so there are weird shadows on their faces, maybe they had a pimple on their nose that day, odd poses, odd clothing, odd angle, stuff that makes them look uglier in a photograph than they really are. The converse is of course true; lots of makeup, airbrushing, sideways shots, stuff to the point that a photo may look far better than real life.

Even in the time before photography this was a common occurrence; when having a portrait painted, the artist would ask "how would you like me to paint you?" Meaning, you want that big fat mole on your face in the painting, or should I bleep it out?

So yes, oftentimes a person will appear differently in real life vs. a photo. In all truthfulness the "profile photo" is more advertising than anything else.

• A lot of my friends Facebook, and the differences between their profile photos and descriptions vs. what I know to be true in real life is usually a lot.. The ones who really get into it have the most out-of-this-world BS on their pages.

• One guy has a pic of himself posing in front of a Ferrari in downtown Scottsdale with a caption that says "my favorite ride...love it so much more than my M5". Know how that photo was taken? He rented a suit from a prop store and took the bus to a ritzy nightclub and posed in front of various expensive cars LOL.

What Guys Said 5

• Yeah but its also because 55% of communication is physical (body language, movements, etc.) so you don't get the physical presence of that particular person when only see them in a picture.

• Yes I'm one of those guys, completely non photogenic!

• Story of my life. My friends all say I'm a pretty good looking guy, but when I get photographed I look like Gilbert Gottfried. It's pretty terrible.

• Im the opposite. I photograph horribly, but look good in person.

• I'd say it's much more common for someone to look "good" in a particular photo but not look good in real life.

What Girls Said 7

• Yeah, of course. Especially since a lot of a peoples attractiveness has to do with their personality (charming, funny, etc.), and a picture doesn't show those things. But as far as someone being physically attractive in real life but not in pictures...it's normal.

• Yep. I'm not exactly photogenic, but I can look nice in real life.

• yeah it's called photogenic and not photogenic haha

• yea I look better in real life and not so good in pics

• yes that's me. I never take good pics

• yes, I avoid pictures because I'm not photogenic

• My sister is that way, she's just not photogenic. For some people, the lighting is never right or there's always a bad angle. And for some people it's the opposite and they look better in pictures than real life. It's a shame because photography is such a beautiful art.