Mainly for GUYS to answer but any opinions are welcome!...

What would be the reason a guy would make a girlfriend/wife change their hair color, nail polish, make hair appointments for them to have a perm, straigtened.? Would it be a form of control, wanting them to change their entire look, etc or some totally different reason? Is this love?

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel the way he's doing it is very controlling and that yes, it's being done in an unloving manner...

I think a more acceptable alternative would be him talking to you about it like -- "Honey, as much as I love your hair, I think it'd be awesome if you tried blond hair (for example) for a little while. What do you think?" -- It gives you the option to go with it IF YOU WANT, without him just going off and making you do it.

I feel that a man can fully accept his wife/girlfriend for who she is, but ask for a temporary physical change every once in a while, as long as it's something like her hair or a certain style of dress. It maintains a little variety...

It just has to be approached and handled in the right "fashion" ;)

• Thanks for your response! This question actually is about my ex and his current wife. She told me he does this to her and its pretty shocking to me considering he displayed no actions of being like this when he was with me. I don't see why she does it? Still scratching my head.

• Not a problem, glad to help! ...but yeah that's definitely a bit strange, and a bit unfortunate for her.

What Guys Said 5

• Ah no, this is clearly a form of control, and really interfering with someone else's look is beyond the pale. It's one thing to give your opinion, but to force a complete makeover like this reminds me of Pygmalion. You know this will always boomerang eventually.

No, if you love someone you don't obsess about their hair style and you let them decide these things for themselves!

• Agreed! She told me that he made her a hair appt to get her hair permed and she did it, then she told me about the nail color and the polish. I was sitting there like this >> :0

CRAZY!

• Hell, if she wanted to make herself look like a complete alien whore from Aldromeda, then fork her. Dump the exhibitioniste bitch for something more down to earth

• Thanks! Yep! Someone with their OWN mind!

• This is odd behavior for a guy, because most guys date girls hoping that they don't (radically) change their looks - ever! Maybe he's trying to make you look like some other girl he has a crush on. Maybe he just likes variety.

• Its actually about a girl I know - not me. I wouldn't stand for that kind of treatment.

• Sounds like he's try to control her and/or make her look like some other woman that he's secretly attracted to. (I've seen this happen before, actually.)

• he wants to make you into what he likes the best not exactly evil but it means that you aren't the look he wants

What Girls Said 3

• control freek. Or he is trying to change her into an ex.

• Thanks! But if that's true then wouldn't he know that obviously she would never be his ex?

• actually 50% of the time no the girl has no idea. When people get obsessed with someone and they loose them they MIGHT keep them to themselves and never mention them to anyone, but the desire to still be with them can cause them to try and change the physical looks of the person they are with to match the old boy friend or girl friend. :) It's weird but it does happen. Most of the time they are just being controlling but there are times they are trying to turn them into someone else.

• Thats just creepy! But I see what you are saying, totally. Makes A LOT of sense!

• Question mainly for question asker: Why would a gf/ wife take orders from their husband/ boyfriend. No one can make you unless you are living in that kind of a culture.. what country is this about?

• This is the good ole US of A. I know...hard to believe but true! She does her hair like he tells her too and her nails and likely her clothes too - it seems to me like she's afraid of losing him if she says no. WEIRD! Cause I used to date this guy and he did NOTHING like that to me. Just her. lol

• ohh you mean he's your ex? & he's changing her around to be like you?

wow that's sad..

• Nah I don't think he's changing her to be like me - that's just to egotistical to think of. But he's definately changing her for whatever reason. And she's going for it. Hook, line and sinker.

• i think it might be because they want to see their girlfriend in a new look