Isn't this just plain weird?

My whole family has blond, green-eyed looks, while I have dark brown/black hair and eyes with tanned, olive skin. We are Irish/German. Why would I be the dark looking one?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is because of your genetics. Your genes either skipped a generation or both your parents were heterozygous for blond hair and green eyes, and you just happened to be the 1/16% to inherit both genetically. That is probably over simplifying it quite a bit because of how there are also epigenetics as well where multiple alleles will affect how your genes are expressed such as height. If there were only two alleles for height than all people will be either tall or short and no where inbetween. I'm not sure if barr bodies affect the eyes or hair but because you are a female and barr bodies are in all living cells, you are basically a genetic mosiac. Meaning that because you are a female (XX) one X chromosome will condense so that you do not have more X than a male (XY) and thus dosage compensation. The kicker is that it is random in each cell which X chromosome is condensed. An example would be a calico cat where they can show all different colors of fur. Again I doubt it is the Barr bodies but probably the skipping of a generation(s) or just your parents both are heterozygous.

TLDR: Nature doing what nature does best, nature. Nothing to be ashamed of because you looking something fierce.

• Well I was going to say infidelity but your answer works too :)

Actually I did not bother writing my own answer because you explained it so well.

What Guys Said 4

• You raised an interesting topic as regards your looks-believe it or not there are such a thing as Iberian Celts; that is, Celts from Iberia (Spain) who are conjectured to have migrated to Ireland; this ought to also answer a couple of other questions you may have: link ; I instantly thought of that as soon as I read your question-hopefully you'll find that useful.

• If that were the case, most likely at least one person in her family would show either blond hair or green eyes. Since she stated that she is the only one like this, then the only possiblity considering this idea is that her parents parents generation were iberian celts and that those genes skipped a generation. Regardless, the only way to know for certain is took at a pedigree because the genes had to be introduced into the family gene pool somehow.

• Agreed-but I thought it worthwhile to look at that possibility.

• Genetics are an odd thing. Nothing to be ashamed of though :)

• No. Genes skip through the generations. Plus every family has that one really hot child! And your her!

• genes can do that. its too difficult to explain, its not a bad thing though :P

What Girls Said 4

• Genes can skip generations.I know people like you who are the "odd one" and look completely different.For instance,my friend Micaela is German,her whole family has Blond hair,blue eyes,BUT,she has brown hair GREEN eyes,and in family photos she sticks out,but she loves her unique look.

• It's completely normal, look up how genetics work on Google and that should answer your questions. You're gorgeous, anyways, so don't worry about it!

• No, it's not really all that weird. Like others have said, genetics can be a funny thing and skip generations - rendering you the "odd" one. But it's better to be unique and you look beautiful. I love the combination of black hair and olive skin.

• maybe somewhere down the line your great great great grandmother also had dark complexion