How Do I go about growing my hair out?

I used to have long hair but I had to cut it because It was so damaged (I went to a bad hairdresser when my regular one had a day off,she gave me a bad perm and damaged my hair.) The haircut I got was really short but, it looked cute though. Other girls girls kept being really mean to me about my short hair. It's embarassing to go out in public sometimes. I'm ashamed to go in the girls bathroom at school anymore because the other girls are rude to me. It keeps breaking off so it stayed the same legnth for the past 3 years. I also have really dry hair. How can I stop the breakage. I feel like no guy will ever date me because I have short hair. Help.

Thanks Everybody

Most Helpful Girl

• I just got done with cosmetology school a couple months ago and am now a hairstylist so I've got a lot of advice:

I don't think it's simply for the fact that your hair is short - it's probably because it's so damaged that you're getting criticized for it, and so the solution isn't to just do stuff for it to grow. Instead, for one, get another haircut! Get as much cut off as the stylist says you should because of the damage. Not getting your hair cut makes the split ends split all the way up and, thus, damages it more. Second off, only shampoo your hair every other day and with shampoo, from the salon, specifically to repair damaged hair...and condition every single day! Also use leave-in conditioner and a serum and a deep conditioner at least once every couple weeks from the salon. And if you flat iron or put a lot of hair spray in your hair then stop for a while - that only makes it worse.

Also I'm not just saying this because I've been taught all this at the cosmetology school I went to but from personal experience within the past year: my own hair went to hell and back! [and to heaven now figuratively speaking :)] I started off with dyed-black, silky hair, then got it highlighted some...and then I got a perm - huge mistake! And then I got my hair cut short [just a bit shorter than it is in the picture I still have up], and decided that I didn't want my hair to be black at all anymore. Long story short, I kept getting colored - red, brown, orange, and then finally bleached-and-toned blond, last summer, as you can see [and then eventually mostly a dark red color after I was tired of trying to get my hair super blond and retouching the roots ever week.] Well all that totally ruined my hair and it looked super fried and was breaking off by just me pulling it a little too. That's when I finally listened to one of my teachers and stopped shampooing every day but still conditioning, plus started using this really good leave-in conditioner. Now it is as silky and shiny as can be without being greasy and without even putting any serum in it every day...so just listen to this advice because there is hope!

• What leave-in conditioner do you use? I have short hair myself and I believe my hair is damaged a little.

• I usually use Lanza's Trauma Treatment. Sometimes I use another one by Lanza too. And the "regular" conditioner I use is TIGI's Dumb Blond Conditioner btw.

What Guys Said 6

• Oh good grief. It is not that bad. Short hair is not fundamentally any less attractive than long hair. Anything that says it is is all just society whispering BS in your ear. The "other girls" are all jerks. They are just as bad or worse as the guy who said "I'd never date you." If you are actually friends, and actually stay friends with such ridiculous, cruel, and immature females, then they are extremely lucky and should get down on their knees and beg you for forgiveness for being such worthless, stupid human beings. If people are seriously harassing you in the bathroom in any way, you should feel completely free to talk to a parent, teacher, principal or other adult, and that problem should then be cleared up right away. You can bet that there is a law of some sort against such seriously evil behavior.

As for breakage-- I doubt that it's as bad as you are worried about. If it is bad enough that you feel like you need to do something about it, talk to an experienced hair-stylist (or someone on this forum who has experience with hair) or even a doctor. Mostly though? Just be patient! It will grow back! That is what hair does! It grows back. Eat healthfully, and get lots of exercise. If you take care of your body, if you are nice to it, then it, and your hair, will be nice to you.

And another thing: maybe you should just keep your hair short. Short hair is cool. It is also easy to keep clean and health looking, which is the essence of attractiveness. And, frankly, long hair is a serious pain in the neck.

• Thank you very much and no they aren't my friends at all. Girls at my school are just really rude, even if you are a stranger.

• Short hair isn't bad. Plenty of girls I know with short hair that are attractive; that isn't to say that long hair doesn't look better on some though. If you're self-conscious about it, just grow it out slowly, or even ask your older hair dresser. I don't know much about women's hair, I'm a guy, lol... but I'd assume the hair dresser would have some good tips to keep it growing while not looking like some NASCAR hipster's mullet.

Idk if there's a between stage as it grows out where it just looks bad... but if so... balance the fact that you've been picked on for a while, over the short amount of time it would take to grow back to a decent length. You've got nothing to lose. If you do like the short hair though, just keep it and ignore them. They pick on you don't acknowledge them, and keep your head up; or they feel they win.

• At first , I am a Chinese . I'm studying English now , maybe my words have some language problem , I hope you don't mind it . And I have some suggestion for you . In my opinion , your hair will not affect the charm , it just will affect your attitude , so to be more confidence and trust yourself , every thing will be fine !

At last , best wishes for you !

• some men like me are suckers for long hair on women , its makes them so sexy , short hair is cute as long you don't loose your charm and feminism...

• Try some Nioxin for women it might help you out...

• ohhh dnt wry...it may nt b so bad aftrall

and your hair wil grow up again

What Girls Said 35

• Every night before you go to bed throw your head forward and comb your hair from the scalp over..it feels fantastic on your scalp...and that's the point, you want the nerves in your scalp to relax because it makes your hair grow faster.

It seriously works! my hair is now down to my shoulder blades

Don't worry about the bitchy girls, next time they confront you say "Don't you watch the news, bullying is old now, as we now know your attacks stem from your own inadequacies"

or...

"you don't like my hair? well I'm sorry that your life is so small that that the highlight of your day revolves around my head...i don't know about you, but I feel better...thanks"

Good luck babe, try to relax, it will grow

• I've heard hot oil treatments work to get back that moisture in your hair. But the main thing is stimulating the roots so it willl grow. Also deep conditioning treatments work too! And practically every brand of hair care has a deep conditioning treatment. And there are also like home remedies you can probably look up on google and test out for yourself. Also maybe stay away from damaging it any further, i.e. if you use a blow dryer put it on the cool setting or let your hair air dry, and also if you straighten your hair use heat protectant or don't straighten at all. And you could always go into a salon you trust and ask them what you could do, they will definitely recomend something. Or if you have Sally's Beauty supply or local beauty supply store by you, definitely ask them! They are experts. It doesn't hurt asking for some opinions. As far as those bitches go, don't even mind them, short is definitely hot right now! Rihanna & Halle Berry are definitely pioneers of the short look. :)

• I would suggesg that you mosturize mosturize and moisturize. Try to use natural products and stay away from hair products that have petroleum and other harmful ingredients. Also trim your hair regularly for split ends.

• Well first off, know that many guys will for sure find your short hair attractive. Everyone has different preferences, and there are no doubt guys out there who prefer short hair over long hair. My guy friend always jokes to me to cut my hair guy length cause he thinks its hella sexyy. Plus, have you seen Emma Watson's new hair? It's very short and she looks great! But, if you still wanna grow it out, then you're gonna have to do some damage control. There are many different things you can do to your hair with, surprisingly enough, kitchen products! check out a few of these links for ideas:

link

link

link

One good idea that many Indian people do that both stimulates hair growth and also keeps it nice and healthy is massaging the scalp with oil every once in a while. Just get a parent, sibling, or whoever to take some oil and massage your entire scalp for a good 20 minutes at least, and just relax and enjoy it! It's very relaxing.

• I have a friend who swears by Biotin pills (Vitamin B). They're pretty cheap and help improve skin, nails, and hair.

I also have another friend who takes prenatal vitamins since they are suppose to speed up hair growth. I think it's crazy, but supposedly it works for her.

I am kind of confused though why your hair is still breaking. Only the hair that was permed would be damaged, not the hair that has grown since. You said it's been 3 years, so the hair that was permed would obviously be grown out and cut off. Maybe there's some medical/vitamin balance problem going on? I would talk with a doctor or your hair sylist to see if they have any ideas. Good luck!

• So around Feb of 2010 I shaved all my hair for children with pediatric cancer, and now it's at shoulder length, but a couple years before that my hair had the same problem. I started using hair masks by pantene(antibreakage hair mask it comes in a cylinder) and sometimes the expensive stuff or I went to the hair salon and my hair started growing. another option is to take vitamins for hair like with keratin and folic acid. also don't use and hair gel, mouse, hair spray, anything that can be as harsh as those products. also no hair dye and start to ask for trims at least every six months. since I've shaved my head I've been fallowing the same routine. also if none of these work by a couple of months talk with your doctor sometimes they can give you a little extra boost on the growth

• guys like short hair too! look at halle barry and emma watson. they are gorgeous! but what you need to do is start by using deep conditioning treatments. that will keep your hair from breaking as you grow it. and TRUST me when I say this, but take the vitamin B pills meant for hair skin and nails. I wanted to grow out my hair, and my hair is really long now. I get highlights, and my hair dresser is always shocked by how much it grows in between appointments.

eat healthy, take the hair skin and nails vitamins, deep condition, and you will notice a huge difference!

• Emma watson = short haired, how so? o_O

• By the way, Halle Barry actually looks 'beautiful' in her long-haired photos vs the short-haired photos.

• well they are still considered beautiful regardless of the length of their hair.

• I know what you are going through, I stupidly shaved off all my hair one time, because it was really damaged from being dyed so much. Even tho I have an oval face, this haircut looked horrible, everyone was super nice about it tho telling me how nice it looked even though I knew they were lying. Since your hair is really dry you might want to do a few things differently, don't wash your hair with hot water it will just dry it out more, try staying away from shampoos with sulfates in them as this can probably dry your hair out also. don't use any styling products like curling iron or blow dryers for a while and when you do use them again try to use them as little as possible. When you do wash your hair make sure its the first thing you wash, use a good bit of ocnditioner and maker sure it is the last thing you wash out. Also try making appointments at your salon they may have treatment to make you hair more supple and soft. There are a lot of men that like the short pixie look as well, so don't fret too much, a guy should like you for you not the length of your hair. After all its you that he will be taking on a date not your halo.

• I have long hair, but I love short hair too. I think it's super cute! So don't care if those girls is rude and mean, they are probably just jealous of your hair and that you look good with short hair while they don't :)

My hair is quite damaged as well, so I use this bed head shampoo and balsam, and it works. I have no idea if bed head exist where you live, if not; you can still wash your hair with shampoo and then balsam afterward your hair will feel soft and not be as dry as before. My advice is to not wash it too often, and not to cut more than 1-2 cm even if it's a little damaged. It worked for me, I had short hair before and now it's grown long, but it takes a while though.. It took me a year for it to grow so long, but then again my hair is originally blond and it doesn't grow as fast as brown and black hair. Good luck!

• thats not true guys like short or long hair... well first you should eat a lot of protein(because that's what hairs made out of and nails too) eat\consume all vitamins and minerals. Consume all foods which are rich in protein (beans, tuna, milk, eggs, etc) and try this for about a month, or if you can't do all this take a multivitamin but remember to take protein also. Try to keep off heat styling tools off your hair if you can or use a heat protectant or apply those vitamin capsule on your hair. If you wana know more ask me k...good luck

• Halle Berry, Nia Long, and Rihanna all have (had) short hair and men love them. You just have to be confident. Also tell those bullying bitches off. They keep messing with you because they know it's getting to you. Put them in their place one good time and they'll probably leave you alone. They're bullying you because it's "fun" so take the fun out of it for them.

But if you really can't take short hair here are some tips to grow your hair out:

-Take care of the dryness! Get a hair moisturizer and apply every night. I like Organic Root Stimulator's Olive Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion link You need to add moisture back into your hair or else it will continue being dry and break off.

-After you have added the moisturizer, add hair oil to your hair to seal in the moisturizer and put it on your scalp. I really recommend Doo Gro brand link because it actually does help grow your hair faster.

-Massage your scalp for 2-3 minutes a night. Massaging will stimulate blood flow to your hair follicles which will help growth.

-Eat healthy, exercise, and get enough sleep and water.

-Use sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.

-Sleep with a satin pillow or head wrap/scarf/tie.

-Biotin pills!

If you must have longer hair faster, get hair extensions. You can get clip ins or sew ins. I wouldn't recommend gluing in tracks though. Keeping your hair braided, whether it be with extension braids, sew-in, cornrows or whatever will actually help your hair grow faster because you aren't manipulating your hair.

• People ask me the question all the time "How can I get my hair to grow?" by brushing it often you stimulate the nerves in your scalp that causes your hair to grow.

As for the breakage its probably because your hairs dry as you said.

I would recommend a deep conditioner once a week, and a dry hair shampoo also.

• Drink a lot of water, and you probably need to use a protein conditioner. You shouldn't feel bad because short is in right now, so rock it.

• Short hair can be extremely attractive, and it's much easier to maintain than long hair. So don't listen to the other girls at school, they're just being insecure and shallow. Spice up your do by adding cute accessories like clips or headbands. Or you could style it differently and get side-bangs which are always flattering.

As for the dryness, make sure to use conditioner every day after you shampoo. You could also try using some leave-in conditioner. Another idea is that you could let your hair air-dry instead of blow-drying it. This keeps it feeling soft and healthy.

Just a few ideas :)

• Moisturizing is what you need(and probably a better conditioner), but what I think is a bit more important that everyones missing is you need a back bone and some confidence. If I came out outside and half of my hair reached my shoulder and the other half only came down to my eyebrow I still would not stand for any insult I doubt its your hair cut as much as it is you and your tolerance for rudeness, I mean if you really can't deal slap a wig on.

• Don't put any chemicals that change your natural hair texture...a guy would date you as lon you make it work and own it.just have higher confidence.try doing your own hair and don't wash it every day maybe every other and put a leavin conditioner also do deep contioning treatments

• while your treating your hair with whatever products you decide to use just buy some extensions and wear them until your hair grows back when your want it to. I had a bad haircut once I asked for bangs and no length cut and the bitch cut like 1 ft off my hair anyways I bought extensions and just wore long hair until my hair grew the same size

• keep your hair moisturised with moisturising shampoos and conditioners and use hair masks. and take vitamin b! that will help your hair and nails grow!

there are lots of anti breakage shampoos and conditioners out there if that is your problem, and not all of them are expensive!

• how short is it?

• every time after u've showered and your hair is wet, put some hair oil in it.. preferably 'Garnier Fructis -with nutritive fruit micro oils - anit-frizz serum.'

if you put that on every time after u've showered, your hair will become softer, shinier and less dry. my hair use to be so dry, so I would put that oil in wen my hair was wet (but clean) and it became to much healthier looking and I would get compliments of how soft it was and stuff. and another advice, don't take showers too often. like if you don't shower, your hair shows out it's natural oils but it stinks. so maybe just don't take showers during weekends or something.

• ooo I use that stuff too! makes my platinum blond hair shimmer like white gold

• Mane and tail is good for fixing your hair, it strengthens and softens it. Its actually a horse brand but it smells good and works amazingly

• well I'm mixed and I have long hair and if I want a shorter look I just get a weave I would never cut it but anyways... if your black and you want your hair to grown I suggest get a sewed in weave and keep it greased with some good grease... my sister is fully black and her hair fell out and it grew back fast because she kept it weaved up and greased... but if your not black then I don't know sorry :(

• I'm sorry for all of us fighting with the one idiot instead of helping you. But...I have crazy short hair too. Girls are just jealous and we always will be. For right now you have to have short hair. So! Work it! I know its hard some days but a girl that can rock short hair guys know are confident. And they will be attracted to you. But you have to love yourself first. And screw the girls their gonna hate.

• Don't worry, your hair will grow back eventually. When I cut my hair I was the same! I feel like long hair is so much more attractive. Just straighten it to lengthen it, don't cut it for a long time, and wear girly accessories to draw away from your short hair (girly, colorful shirts, earings, headbands).

• few tips...1. scale massage when washing your hair promotes hair growth and well it feels goos. 2. Regularly condition your hair so you don't get split ends and deep condition your hair like once a week. 3. trim a bit of every 6-ish week ( or longer if you got to the salon because they always chop it to short as long as you don't get split ends ) 4. Avoid heat and heavy hair products.

But mostly you just have to wait...

• a good shampoo is the answer, it will cost a little more, maybe around 3-5 dollars. but yeah, a good Moisturizing shampoo. Or ask your hairdresser what would be good for your type of hair.

As you can see I have long hair, but I use a lot of shampoo, and conditioner. And then when you do that you definitely need to take care of your hair, no split ends or anything ya know?

I hope I helped. :)

• If you're willing to spend some money, go to GNC (the vitamin store) and buy Biotin. That's supposed to make your hair grow. My mom takes it and swears by it.

• Have you ever heard of wen haircare? it's supposed to work wonders and you could try taking hair vitamins you can get from a vitamin store. Try not to wash it so much and hey some guys like short hair so don't worry too much

• a year ago I got a super bad hair cut and I cried and it finally grew out and is long again. don't iron it or wash it everyday or die it just wash it with a natural moisturizing shampoo and conditioner then let it air dry.

• Don't cut your hair unless it's 4 inches off so it can grow out.

• More from Girls
    5