I'm thinking about getting a tattoo.

I want to get one so I have some questions if you people don't mind answering..How much does it hurt? Best place to get it? How much about does it cost? And I only want a small one so what do you think I should get? thanks

oh and guys do you like tattoos on a girl or?

Most Helpful Girl

• To answer your first question, the pain levels depend on the person's pain tolerance and body fat, the location of the tattoo, and the size and composition of the tattoo. Pain tolerance is self-explanatory; as for body fat, the more padded you are, the less it'll hurt. So the most painful places to get a tattoo are bony areas, then muscular areas, whereas fatty places will hurt the least. If it's a small tattoo you end up with a much smaller sore area, and also it won't take very long to do. If it's mostly line work, you won't have the needles on you that long, whereas if it's coloured you will. I have 2 tattoos - a small flower on my hip, and a custom design on my ankle. The flower I got when I was 16 because I was curious - I'm bored of it now, doesn't mean much to me. But it didn't hurt much because I was pretty chubby. For my second one I decided I could take the pain of having one right on my ankles, which have always been particularly bony and I'd lost weight by then, so even though the tattooist warned me I went with it. Yes it hurt, and yes I limped for a day or two, but it was so worth it!

As for places to get it, you'll want to do some research online. Different tattooists specialise in different styles and you'll find some have shaky hands. Look for someone well-recommended. It might cost more, but the alternative is to go somewhere not-so-good and get a wonky smudge permanently. Then you'll wish you'd done your research...

Costs vary - again, depending on the studio and experience levels, also the location (things in general are more expensive in cities) and how many colours there are in your tattoo. If you get one in plain black, only one pot of ink has to be used, so that's the cheapest. If you get one with 5 colours, they have to use all 5 pots and they can't be reused for hygiene reasons, so you pay for all 5 pots even if you're only having a little dot of each. I paid £25 for my flower - black, red, yellow and green. Not bad, but prices have gone up since then, and if I'm honest, the place was stupid not to ID me and probably wasn't such a good place to have gone to. My bigger ankle tattoo I would have paid probably £200 for but I got a discount because I knew the guy. I don't know what you mean by small, but definitely allow £100 (or whatever your equivalent is) for it and then see what you find. You may only pay half that but then you're covered if you find one you really like that you don't have enough for, or you need extra healing creams/bandages, etc.

Think careful about the design before you go for it. I got my flower because it was pretty and cheap (the cheapest one there) but now I think it's a bit pointless. If you're going to get a tattoo, get something that means something to you. People get dead relatives' names tattooed for a reason. Even if you don't go that deep, think about what you like - my mum's a major cat fanatic, so she has a stylized custom picture of one of our cats on her shoulder (drawn by me, of

• course!) so even though she's not so much into tattoos, it suits her because it represents a part of who she is. You could go for something like a butterfly but it's pretty generic, unless you're some kind of butterfly expert. Just think careful about what could represent something about you, and what you're likely to want there for the rest of your life - lasering is doable, but not 100%. Good luck!

• Wow. They hardly even do credit cards for 20-year-olds over here =S

Honestly, if you have to get one or the other, get the piercing. At least a piercing can be taken out and the scar can fade; if it doesn't you can at least put concealer on it. Tattoos are permanent, until you decide to get them lasered - that costs even more than the original, is apparently more painful, and looks uglier than what you started with =\ don't mean to sound parenty but you really should wait around!

• lol k thanks

What Guys Said 7

• I'll tell you what I told ThisIsLifeBaby in her question. If you're looking at getting a tattoo, here's the process that I use, and highly recommend.

1. Sketch out design.

2. Figure placement on your body.

3. Redraw design to fit placement.

4. Draw tattoo on body in permanent marker, or get it in henna, if available. This will force you to keep it for longer than two days and give you a more accurate feel as to how it will be permanently.

5. Repeat step 3 and 4 as needed.

6. Once you have the design perfected, stash it in a drawer for a year. Yes, a full year. At least.

7. After a year, if you still want it just as badly as you did day 1, then start looking for an artist.

I wouldn't really rate the pain factor as too important. Yes, depending on where you get it, it may hurt, but that pain is only for a few hours at most. The ink is for life. To guesstimate the pain, remember this: it hurts on spots closer to bone (e.g. spine or elbow). Areas with larger muscles (like upper arm or thigh (outer, in both cases)) are the most painless. And, as previously noted, the outside of parts hurts less than the inside. Just poke your upper arm on the outside and then on the inside and you'll see what I mean.

Depending what you want, it may be expensive. A lot of places around here do a minimum $50-75 charge, just for basic flash (ones that they have on the walls, all ready to go). Custom designs will always cost more (starting around $150-200 and going up into the thousands for sleeves and full back pieces), as will extensive shading or colouring.

Exactly what you get really depends on you. Think about who you are and major things that you've done to get to where you are now. However, that's me; I tend to go for tattoos with personal meaning.

Hope it helps!

• Like piercing, I used to not, & I don't think it should be over done on a girl, but one like you're talking about can be cute actually. I'd say do it in a place where you can see it & show your boyfriend or whoever, but in a subtle place, like maybe a hip, that you can hide if you wanted or needed to. As far as pain, it really doesn't HURT, unless it's real big where it takes a long time, or maybe a LOT of color & ESPECIALLY if it's on a bone & the needle has to go across it.. Otherwise, the best way to describe it is this... Have you ever pushed a lamn mower or something like that? Do you know how you can feel the vibrations from the motor in your hands? It feels EXACTLY like that! Plus there's a numbness at first... (not from a shot) I got a small one without much color, & RIGHT when the numbness stopped, I barely had time to think uh-oh, & he said, "you're done." One like I think you mean should be a piece of cake... As far as WHAT to get, pick something that represents you or has a personal meaning... I'm an X Files freak & believe in that sort of thing, so I got an alien head... Price, I don't know... I paid $30 almost 14 years ago & it must have gone up... I know a lip piercing's about $40... Hope this helped...

• Just gonna throw this out there, tattoos can make or break a woman's relative hotness, and the location of the tattoo as well as how big it is is more important than what the tattoo is of. Good spots are smaller tattoos on one ankle, and larger tattoos around the hips and lower back. NEVER tatooo above the ankle on your legs, that is such a turn off. And stay away from arm tattoos, those are more so masculine. Oh and I have a tattoo on my right arm, it was about as painful as writing on your skin (pressing down pretty hard), it's fairly normal to have some bleeding.

• Key word of advice. If you think you want a tattoo wait 6months and see if you still want it.

Please DON'T get a lower back one(just above the a**) its trashy.

• why 6 months?

• k thanks

• I answered before I read this.. I totally agree..100%

• ok I don't have em but know people who do and I don't know if it hurts but where I am starting price is $80 no matter what size and when thinking about the tattoo think about what your going to like in about 10 - 20 years from now and ask yourself will you like it and then think about your kids

• I like only a tattoo which is on girl's lower back. I think its called tramp stump tattoo. Personally, I don't mind tattoes but I wouldn't get one. I think my skin is perfect and looks awesome even without one

• I wouldn't do it

What Girls Said 7

• 1. It's a tolerable amount of pain.

2. Where you want it the most. When it comes to pain obviously places where they are bones jutting out are going to be more painful than a soft area but you should get it where you want it to be and probably in a place where you can hide it if you plan on wanting it to be hidden at times or working in a conservative work environment.

3. In most shops there will be a flat rate, so no matter how little the tattoo it is at least the flat rate, usually around 50$. Then the price just goes up and up and up depending on the size/time put into the tattoo. Prices will range.. so will quality. Chose your shop wisely.

4. Please, whatever you do, do not get a tattoo just for the sake of getting a tattoo. You will regret it. Get a tattoo that means something to you and that you are sure will mean something to you in 20 years. When I want a tattoo I give myself at least four months to think about it..if I still want it, I start working towards actually getting it. You don't want to look at the meaningless butterfly on your foot in 10 years and think WHAT THE F***? or the playboy bunny on your back... always trashy..never an excuse. Steer away from tramp stamps as well - very classless.

• Dont just get something random, make sure you really want it. Figure out what you want and wait like a year b4 so you can figure out if you really want it forever, maybe even try getting it as a temporary tattoo or henna tatt first so you can see it on yourself for a while and deside. My sister got a tatt on her 18th b-day of something she loved and thought was perfect for her in the perfect place, she's not 22 and now HATES it..

• YES! I agree with "hALLDAY" no tatz on lower backs please !

well I have 3tattz...on my back (each side) and on my leg (close to my ankle)

tattz on back or on legs are the ones that hurt the least (in my opinion) Others whom have gotten tattz in diff places have said the same.

cost depends how big, how much detail, and if you want any color on it...you would have to ask a tatt artist for that kinda info

And now this is my suggestion MOST PEOPLE MIGHT DISAGREE: wherever you decide to get a tat please get it somewhere noticeable but not like on your neck, hands, face or arms. You want to be able to show up to a job and not feel stared down at, because most high end paying jobs (or like if you're going to be a receptionist) might take that into consideration.. some places are very anal about appearances (how professional you look). Not all jobs but some !

• sorry but tramp stamps are hot. If that's trashy then so is wearing thongs and showing your lower back same concept.

• It kinda hurts, it depends on where you get it at. I got one on my bak shoulda with brothas name that passed away that one didn't hurt and then one on my lower bak and that only stung on the spinal cord. and then one under my wrist that one didn't hurt. I am also getting one on my foot of my babybois foot people told me that it will hurt and I believe it will. Thin skin and a bone is there. but I can take the pain. and I wouldn't be the one that could tell you how much it cost you gotta go it. and what you should get..again that's up to you. A rose your sign favorite animal someone kind of chinse lengo. Best place to get it ankle bak should arm thigh it don't matter

• depends where you get it and a persons pain tolerance.

back of neck, wrist, back, or wherever you think looks good on you.

$40 and up? depends

i got my first tattoo when I was 13. I love my tattoo and I don't regret it.

(I know I was so young)

• The pain is not unbearable...get it on your arm or leg.

• We don't care