Is it true guys decide if a girl is datable by her physical attraction? Time to stop the rumors and figure out the truth!

Is it true guys decide if a girl is datable by her physical attractions . I've heard a lot of well ' the "hot " girls are girlfriend material and then the girls that have a nice personality are the ones your going to " settle " down with . I don't get it why can't you just pick the "good " personality girl first . And a bonus question why don't you just pick the nice girl first . Why do you go for the " hot" girl. If you saw a girl that was hot and nice would you hold on to her ?

• I'd go for personality first
  • Looks first
Thanks you all answered my question :) :) :) <3

Most Helpful Guy

• Good question. Maybe a 2 part answer 1) I think looks may a guy's attention in their younger years and then we find out whether that girl has a decent personality or not. 2) As we grow older, we begin to realize that looks may not be a good starting point at all, and probably it's better to start with personality.

I am not suggesting that looks will not be important at all because we all want to be with a decent looking partner. It's just that as time goes by, looks seem a little less important. My lesson came in college when I had 2 dates with undoubtedly the most drop dead gorgeous girl in the school. Nothing came of it -- her personality sucked.

Bottom line -- as we mature we get a little better at it.

What Guys Said 15

• This is a difficult question to answer. I'm 20 (if that means anything). I've never been one to look for the stereotypical "hot blond who is a bitch to girls". Based on the way my parents have raised me, personality is a strong decider on whether or not I would date a girl. I dunno, maybe it's based on past experiences that have me looking for nice girls.

For instance, last semester, I got my heart crushed by this girl who was outgoing, but was REALLY cute. She reminded me of Natalie Portman (in garden state) to be honest. So I started looking for girls who were cute, but with the "nice" girl qualities.

What I mean is if a girl is averagely cute, I'll definitely give her a chance. Right now I kind of like this girl who's a brunette, decently cute, and plays video games. She's not the stereotypical "pretty girl" and that's what I like about her. She's different :).

Sadly, us guys get grouped into that category of "only goes for the hot girl first" like girls get put in the "girls only go for jerks" category<---which I've yet to see disproved by the way. Some guys just want a pretty girl for a sexual relationship because they're young and...like to have sex.

Bonus:There are too many variables as to why some guy wouldn't pick the "nice girl" first. It depends so much on the girl.

Of course any guy would hold on to a hot and nice girl lol

• Guys go for the hot girl first because it's the first thing we notice. I wouldn't say that the hot girl is girlfriend material, hook up material yes, but to last as a girlfriend you need a little more substance. The exception to that rule is if you're looking for someone just to show off and say "I've got a hot girlfriend." Most guys I know don't do that though. Looks are what will get our attention, personality is what will keep us.

• This is how it works, looks attract you or make you want to talk to her, but personality is what keeps you. I have met a lot of gorgeous girls with really sh*tty personalities, a lot of guys including me, either just leave them to go for girls with personalities, or just keep them to get people attention, not because they consider them their friends, or simply just as a booty call. Trust me we date girls with personalities not because of their looks.

• They have to have both. I can't date a person I'm not physically attracted to, even if they had the best personality in the world. At the same time, I can't date a physically attractive person that I can't stand to be around.

• I won't go out with a girl I'm not attracted to, but just the same, as long as I'm in some way attracted, the rest is about personality.

• Getting the "hot" girl is a personal self confidence type thing, its how find out if we are good enough to get what we want. Having the "hot" girl as a long term thing is hard sometimes, even if she is cool, with every guy in the world going for her all the time it can do our head in a bit. Guys in your age bracket can make things more difficult to.

• All guys like hot girls, this is a fact, but when they say "the hot girls are girlfriend material", they mean that the hot ones are the ones they'd only have sex with and not want anything else from. The hot girls get screwed. That's all there is to it. The nice personality ones are the ones that guys actually care about. This isn't saying that guys wouldn't only seriously date nice girls, they might with hot girls too if they possessed the right qualities. Guys love attractive girls, but most of the "hot ones" aren't worth the time.

• You can also compare that to what girls do as well. Many girls say they want the bad boy when they are young but then they want to settle with the good guy.

Yes I do look at a girl's looks. But that's not all I look at. That's what initially gets my attention. But if that attractive girl does not have an attractive personality then I will not date her. There have been many attractive girls I have wanted to date but once I got to know their personalities I left them alone. I mean come on, what idiot would date someone on their looks alone and not even care about a personality. Only people who are interested in flings, FWBs and one night stands etc care about just looks and not even consider personality, which is understandable. Anyone looking for a meaningful relationship will definitely look at personality as well as just looks.

Anyway, to summarize my opinion. A girl's looks draw me towards her but her personality keeps me by her side.

• Looks are superficial. And everyone I've met is attractive.

Except for me.

• Come on. Try be a little more confident. I'm sure at least some people would find you attractive?

• Personality always matters more for date-ability. Any guy who says looks isn't thinking about dating, they are thinking about f***ing and then bragging about who they f***ed.

• I go for a balance of the two, because that's what I think I am. Not good looking but not ugly and a good overall guy.

• why do girls prefer the bad boy? why won't they just go for the nice guys to start off with? nice guys get left with the sloppy seconds because they wanna hold a girl in high regard who went around trying to get with and change all these players...

• Appearance comes first, personality second, both are very important though. It's not a choice that I really make myself, because if I'm not physically attracted to her I can't get my d*** up, it's nature's fault.

• looks attract me but if they don't have personality, goodbye :)

although I don't have any experience so yeah lol

• I will be attracted at first to a girls appearance. Because lets be real here, when you see someone for the firs time, in your head you are thinking, wow aren't they attractive, I would like to get to know them. You don't sit there and say, wow I like their personality, because you don't know them yet to determine that. I will never date a girl whom I am not physically attracted to, and if they don't have a good personality. If a girl is ehh okay by first appearance, her personality can make her look more physically attractive. I don't know how that works, it just it what it is.However, if a girl is real hot, but turns out to be a bitch, I wouldn't bother with her. Your question is a lot like the girl dating the jerk over the nice guy. Just flipped around to the girls perspective. Why do so many girls date the "hot" jerks. Because they are physically attractive, and are able to confuse the girl into thinking he has a good personality. Until he gets her so hooked up on him, that when she does see his real self, she likes him too much to just let go. Now to your last question, if I saw a girl who was hot and nice would I hold onto her? Uh, yeah! the only thing I would be worried about is, would she hang onto me. Since she is nice and very attractive, other guys will want to be with her. So she could easily leave me for other guys. Although I wouldn't want to date a girl that would leave me for another guy just because he might be more attractive or whatever, when her and I already have a good relationship going. So I would put trust in her that she would be faithful to me.

as for your poll question, that's hard to chose. Ultimately its personality that decides whether or not I ask a girl to be my girlfriend, but it is the girls looks that first draw me in... so I don't know what to put.

What Girls Said 5

• Okay. I voted on this but I AM NOT A LESBIAN. I changed up the question a little bit. I put it as in what I would look for in a guy. I would look at his looks first because that is what would attract me to him in the first place. Then, I would go talk to him and stuff and then get to know his personality! But, I first get attracted to his looks to even bring me to him. Soooo..I am not a shallow person who only goes for looks. I go for personality too, but their looks will just attract me. :)

• Yah same here like I'm not trying to be shallow either but I do care about looks like a 50/ 50 for me

• I agree with your opinion of 50/50. Lol if you think about it when a person first see's someone and is attracted to them they know very little about there personality. Haha bi\ut I thought that you girls were supposed to be all emotional and caring, ha ha your BAD ! XD jk. Good to hear a girls oppinion on this though.

• Lol. I've been through A LOT so I'm very strong

• You don't need to investigate, guys fall in love with what they see, girls fall in love with what they hear. That's why men lie and women put on make-up and show skin.

• Guys tend to be more visual than girls so I say the looks mostly.

• you don't look at a person and say "hm, I wonder what their personality is" you are immediately attracted by their looks.

• Guys are visual creatures. Of course they go for looks first.