Men and women! What's more important, looks or personality?

I'm just curious to see the results of this. What is more important if you could only pick one. Obviously everyone hopes to find both, but if you were forced to pick.

Could you date someone with your ideal personality (including confidence, intelligence, etc.) but has average looks. (Not ugly, but you don't find them particularly attractive).

Or someone with your ideal looks, but has an average personality (not terrible, but you don't find them interesting, intelligent, or confident).?

• Looks
  • Personality
I said in my question, of course everyone wants both. If you had to pick the more important of the two though, what would it be.

Most Helpful Girl

• Looks exist for a short time, personality lasts forever, Honestly for me its personality looks are just a good bonus.

What Guys Said 13

• I agree that girls will say personality.

During their teens and 20's they want the hottest looking guy for casual sex during that time they have zero interest in personality.

However in their 30's when they can no longer get casual sex with a hot looking guy they go for a guy with personality/money.

Sad fact of life.

• Looks since women have bad personalities no matter what.

• I'd have to say looks, you get to know someones personality over time but if you're out and about, you see the outside first. You don't f*ck someones personaility.

This was a huge debate between me and some female friendsseveral years ago, they were going on about how shallow it was to like someone because of the way they look and its about the person inside that counts. I couldn't say this to them at the time, but we grew apart after school, I wasn't surprised at their opinion as they weren't exactly the prettiest girls in the world.

• Depends on whether I'll see her again. If this is an ONS, then it doesn't matter much. Over time, though, a great personality beats a great face; the bulk of any relationship is about who you are, not how you look.

• Personality for sure. I have to be able to have a conversation with her about politics or current events and she should be on my plain intelligence wise. Hottest chick in the world could come up to me but if she is dumb as a brick I'll say no. Personality trumps looks

• Personality. I don't love a girl because she is beautiful. She is beautiful to me because I love her. Even with no make-up, her hairs a mess, in old pjs, I still think my girl is the most beautiful in the world because of how I feel about her.

• Obviously personality. It's not even a competition.

• Both are necessary

• I'm gonna have to say looks,

Girls who don't brush their teeth, dress trashy and are overweight are such a turn off it isn't funny.

• So those things are more of a turn off than say a girl who is unintelligent, bad personality and bitchy?

• Yes the first part of getting attracted to someone initially is looks based, the second is personality to me. If they look attractive to me I'll ask them out, and if it turns out that they have a bad personality or major red flags then I just don't go out with them again.

but now that you mention it all three of the girls that I know that fit this description are also unintelligent.

• If I'm not attracted, I'm not interested. It might take a month, or years but her d*** personality will come out sooner or later so I want to f*** someone that looks good till then. Vote looks cause I'm a guy & that's all we go for.

• Wow girls will say personality because they are hypocrites who practise "Do as I say not as I do" when 9/10 times they will go for superficial looks or confidence/arrogance instead of a guy with a great personality who isn't.

Lets have a look.

Wow no surprises there.

• Confidence doesn't equal arrogance. That's a common mistake made by insecure men. And confidence is also a personality trait. So if they go for confidence, they're going for personality.

• I disagree with quite a bit there, some men but mostly women mistake arrogance with confidence and vice versa.

Confidence is "making it seem/look like you are confident." Confidence is based on perceived looks not personality. That is how someone else perceives you by looking at you.

While a confident person is one that excels in an area/hobby/job/task but is a confident person only when it comes to that area/hobby/job/task.

• A person who can disassemble and reassemble a car with little effort is confident at disassembling and reassembling cars but that does not mean that they are confident with women.

While a person who uses women with little effort is confident at playing them, hence why players are confident with women.

• All women are going to say personality as usual...

But yet, they are the ones spending hours and hours on their look instead of working on their personalities.

Actions speak louder than words girls !

• This is because men and women want different things in a partner. Women spend hours and hours on how they look because guys always say that looks are more important than personality.

• Oh please, women don't spend hours getting ready for themselves. That's a lie. We get ready so that boys will think we're hot. We're aware how much importance guys place on looks, and that if it comes between us and a hotter girl (even if we're a better person with a better personality) the hotter girl always wins. So we work hard on the looks because of that.

• Good, your comment sounds sincere, much more sincere than other girls words, which always sound taken straight out from a goody two-shoes manual, high on good intentions but low on sincerity. I have another question for you.

How do you explain many girls say they care so much about personality but also say that they know within 30 seconds if they want to get with a guy or not. Isn't it quite contradictory?

• LOOKS. As long as she a great ass and a pink starfish that's open for business, I'm in!

What Girls Said 4

• how boring would it be to be with someone you don't find interesting! Personally, I'd way prefer someone I enjoy spending time with to someone I enjoy looking at.

• Personality!

• Personality all the way.

• I could date anyone so long as I'm attracted to them and they have a good personality. I don't need model looks, but there needs to be some sexual chemistry. So I would say personality is more important because looks is a given.