How can I dress down a dress?

i wanna wear a dress to school, how can I dress it down?

0|0
5|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Wear a cardigan over it, but an oversized/"boyfriend" cardigan. Don't wear shoes that are too dressy - you can try boots (slouchy boots or laceup boots like Doc Martens or something), oxfords, or even sneakers (simple ones like Keds or slip on sneakers like TOMS shoes, not athletic sneakers) if the dress is casual enough. Wearing tights underneath makes it less dressy, and so do scarves, particularly circle scarves or ones that have kind of chunky knitting. Since it's cold out, I like to wear tights, boots, and socks that peek out a little bit higher than my boots.

I've found that if you wear one dressy thing, keep anything else you might wear simple, fabric-wise and color-wise. Don't be too matchy, either. I'm not saying to completely clash, but keep the color palette interesting.

Also, if you don't look too polished with your hair and makeup, it helps make it look less dressy. Like, beachy/messy waves, or a loose topknot or braid in your hair, and light/natural makeup.

I'm practically a pro at this. ;) I wear dresses and skirts fairly often, but I hate being overdressed so I always try to make it more laid back, haha.

2|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• why in the world would you do this. god this pisses me off

0|0
    2|0

What Girls Said 4

• I do this all winter long:

Add leggings and flat boots (not Uggs--save those for snow days)

Add a pashmina scarf

Wear a sweater/cardigan that buttons or ties

Wear a light jacket or shawl

Add some casual jewelry

Don't be too matchy--wear tights, scarves, boots, belt, etc. but they don't need to necessarily match

Wear casual hair--in a slicked back ponytail or loose messy braid

Have fun!

0|0
    0|0
  • You can put a casual cardigan over it- one that matches, and that you would normally wear with a cami or something. But first- is this like a homecoming dress, or sundress type deal? You can put leggings underneath with flats, or maybe even add a matching scarf with the cardigan, or put a casual belt over the cardigan... Those are my ideas :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe a jacket?Depending on the dress...maybe sneakers or boots...

0|0
    0|0
  • flats instead of heels

less accessories

a bag with a long strap instead of a clutch

0|0
    0|0