Why do I get called high maintenance when I wear my designer clothes?

i have one designer purse that was a birthday present for my 15th birthday (I'm 24 now), one designer shirt that I bought on ebay for $30, and one designer necklace that was on clearance for $40.

however, without fail, at least one guy calls me high maintenance when I wear these items. why? I didn't pay full price for any of them, and even if I did, it's my money. why do they care how I spend it? it's not like I'm asking them to buy it for me.

guys never call me high maintenance otherwise, only when I wear these things. I don't get it.

and yes, I realize my name is "princess for life", but I'm talking about Disney princesses here, as in I'll never stop watching Disney princess movies. it has nothing to do with my personality.

Most Helpful Guy

• I know a girl who finds deals like you have, except she finds them over and over so that any savings just get spent on more clothes. If she can't find the $600 shoes she wants (that she never wears outside of her apartment) on clearance, she demands them as a birthday/Christmas/anniversary/random gift from her boyfriend. I also know several girls who do the same thing, only they don't bother with trying to save anybody's money when they shop. Guys who call you "high maintenance" (without joking) have probably seen a lot more of those kinds of girls than girls who are stylish, yet practical like you.

If a guy says that to you, he's obviously noticed your style and probably thinks that you've put a lot of time and money into it. You should just take it as a compliment, but tell him you got whatever you're wearing for $30/$40 (or as a birthday present 9 years ago) and that it's the only designer shirt/necklace/purse you own. If he's like me, that will really impress him, not because he's cheap, but because it makes you seem like a reasonable, down-to-earth person - the kind who might really appreciate the things that can't be bought.

Oh, one more thing - that sounds like something a guy would say jokingly to give you a hard time. I wouldn't take it too seriously most of the time.

What Guys Said 7

• Y'know, there are a LOT of high maintenance girls/guys out there, right? MAny of us have a sort of allergy to designer purses, especially, we don't even look at the rest, we just react and scream: HIGH MAINTENANCE. Just like a guy comes on too strong ONE time, and he's labeled a creeper by every woman in sight.

• I guess the unspoken assumption is that you have expensive taste and that a guy will have to buy your interest with expensive things.

• That's not fair N I don't get it either. That don't make you high maintenence. It makes you a girl with great taste who likes to look nice! Forget those haters! Wear what you like...

• Lol to me high maintenance is a girl that enjoys to look nice and puts thought and effort into her appearence . I find that really attractive, especially if they know how to make themselves look good and really know how to make their style work. (Different styles look better on different girls. Yours appears to work for you :) So if I were you I'd just take it as a compliment ;) What do you classify your clothing style?

• um...rustic pretty?

• to me high maintenance is a girl that won't accept anything that isn't the best or most expensive.

for example I know this girl who will only wear designer clothes and buys a whole new wardrobe every fall and spring so she has the "new collection". she gets a new car every year and a new phone every few months. she says she has to keep "updated". and she spends thousands of dollars on her hair and makeup even though I get the same look for much less.

• Lol yeah that is a bit over the top. But I think there is a difference between high maintenance and rich bitch. She sounds really insecure too lol. I'm just glad I'm a guy and don't have to worry about all that stuff like you silly girls ;P

• LOL@ 'I realize my name is "princess for life"'. Lej.

Anyway, obviously these people have no idea what high-maintence means, or else they make horrible assumptions. Either way, quit hanging with retards and quit caring - it'll stop happening that way. =]

• I can't help but think that a woman with designer clothes is high maintenance. It seems to me that those people can't enjoy the simple things in life.

• Sounds like BS. I think your favorite thing in life is to get penetrated by an 8 inch penis from a guy that's 6 ft tall and has a six pack. I doubt you'd enjoy an average looking guy that makes a decent salary. Instead you would just settle for him when you couldn't get or hold onto what you wanted.

Its nice that you're being frugal but I think that if you ever became rich you would spend an absurd amount of money on designer clothes & wouldn't bother trying to find a better deal.

• wow...ok. I've only ever had one boyfriend in my life. he was average looking and overweight and didn't have a job.

• did you know walt disney was an anti-semite?

• that doesn't change the fact that mulan kicked ass

• just sayin'

• Lol, I knew that. Walt was a lej

What Girls Said 4

• If you're a name whore then that could be why. People who feel the need to be name whores generally have to do so to make themselves feel better and will continuously expect or only buy designer clothing, nothing less.

I have designer sh*t too, I just ignore peoples comments. Not my problem I can afford nice things.

• but I'm not a name whore. I listed the only three things I have. the purse is the only one with any identifiable logo on it.

• Don't know, just ignore them. Designer products are available for a reason,and if you like it, then buy it. If a label makes someone high maintenance then so be it. You don't want to be around people who judge you by what you can or can't afford.

• they're just jealous

• people who don't dress nicely or who are intimidated by girls who do will say sh*t like that. who cares, don't let it bother you. I'd tell him "you didn't pay for it so your opinion is null and void" learn to be a smart ass with people who talk out of turn

• I've been there before. Now I just don't give a crap about what they think I'm wearing is "high maintenance" or not. Because I realize that If I always want to make them satisfied, I could never wear what I want. So yeah, find a guy that will appreciate you not someone who judge you by what

designer items that you own.