Why are so many people so against "scene" or "emo" styles?

I'm not gonna get into defining what the two mean, you all know what the stereotype of the word looks like, but I really do wanna know why people are so ready to make fun of their hair, clothes style, music tastes, etc. I don't personally fit into those categories but a few of my friends do and it bothers me that people make a fuss about their colored hair and black skinny jeans. I see it as just a personal style choice, and have nothing against it. I actually think the style is very interesting.

But yea it really bugs me that people are always calling my friends and people like them degrading names and making them feel like sh*t. They're just being who they want to be and expressing themselves and exchanging ideas.

So what do you think of people who would get labeled as being scene or emo? And if you despise them, please enlighten me as to why, because people I know like that are some of the best I've seen.

Most Helpful Girl

• Aw, now that's just absolutely rude to call people names, period.

I don't enjoy the style (except the shaggy, black hair look on guys look; I dig that), but I was friends in college with punks, goths, and emos. I went through the phase being a wannabe. I personally don't like the personification the people show. What I have observed is the philosophy about how the world is filled with gloom and doom, or that they have such a pessimistic view on life because of past hurts and failures. Depression is really what seems to come off as when it comes to the style. I don't do darkness and coffins and all that mess. I am a sensitive person as it is and those that I've hung out with in the past just felt emotionally unstable (bipolar, control issues, borderline,) except one guy. I can only take differentness for so long. I felt crazy when I wasn't around them acting out like a dang fool; I'm much calmer and more collected since I haven't hung around them in years. I just don't want to deal with the drama or the philosophy goths and emos personify (in my past.)

But as people, I'm not going to be mean and nasty to them.

What Guys Said 6

• I don't really have anything against the emo or scene style, in fact scene and emo girls are my favorite, but I'm not to fond of guys dressing like girls and I don't like music that's 100 % screaming

• What do I think? Whenever I see a goth/scene/emo/whatever out of the ordinary (yes I do know the differences), some kind of demon awakes in me and whispers me to ravish them 'till they won't be able to walk straight for couple of weeks.

• I think scene girls are the hottest girls. Love the style to death. I can only hope I find an awesome scene girl :P I don't know if they're into punk/skater metalheads though.

• To expand my view on this because I didn't give much detail I think I love the style so much because it shows that they can and will be themselves reguardless of what anybody around says. They get a ton of hate but still they keep being themselves and I can relate to that because of how I look people don't accept me for who I am. So its a mix of common ground and understanding as well of the culture behind the style and the music. Plus I just think scene girls are just extremely pretty

• uh, oh hell yes scene girls are..well, the ones I know anyway:P

• To update my answer as its been a few months, the only thing I don't like about scene girls (in my area at least) is they are all ravers. And I don't like the rave scene. I like going to shows and moshing or headbanging. I've realized I'm more interested in metal chucks. And the only real difference I've noticed is the music style. They dress very similar. However scene girls seem to be more immature imho.

• Most emo kids and 'alternative' people are wholeheartedly against steek/chav and prep styles. People just hate people who are different from them - there's an equal number of both, and an equal number on both side's who hate the other, so I don't think it makes too much odds. Steeks are just more prone to violence because of their environment.

I don't include scene in that 'cos where I'm from scene kids are just crazy, hahaha. In a good way. They're phasers, just like me.

• I think emo chicks are HOT.

• Well I'm 30 and I work and hang out with people way younger and way older than me so I've met some emo kids with what I consider goofy hair and the skinny jeans on guys really makes me laugh in my head. I'll still talk and hang out with somebody that dresses emo but I think the style is gay and stupid just like emo music. Style and music aren't everything though so like I said I'll still hang out with people that are emo and I just assume and hope they'll grow out of it lol.

What Girls Said 8

• i think people don't want to hang out with someone who *acts* emo as in all depressed and stuff. but I think expressing yourself through fun clothes is awesome.

and I think people who are against that are just suppressed and bigoted jerks. live and let live. crazy hair and bright colors are not hurting anyone.

• My little sis is into the goth/emo/rock scene and she is one of the sweetest amazing, most creative people I know! I would be a hypocrite if I were to judge others based on their looks. Even though my sis and I have completely different styles (I wear bright colors and dress girly), I wouldn't want her any other way.

It pisses me off when people judge her and her friends, because they are really sweet kids. But it also pisses me off when my peers who dress in this style judge ME because I look like a "Prep".

I don't think its so much of hate but for some reason people feel threatened by those with clashing styles. My sis and I fight but we basically have them same personality, just opposite styles, so we even each other out.

• No idea. Emo's are so f***ing hot. Every time I see one I just want to jump their bones. lol. Same with punks, metalheads, goths etc.

• I reckon scene/ emo girls are very beautiful, some people think they're fake but inside, they're all justt trying to be unique, I reckon they're the most realest ppl, I'm kinda into thatt style myself but I'm into metal head guys tho

Scene girls are only expressing their individuality, nd I reckon other people who judge are jealous because they dnt have their own style, sorry bout this long paragraph, it bugs me how people judge scene/emo ppl

• Google Andy Six and read what he has to say about this topic.

Anyways, I think it's cause people are scared of anybody who is different from the majority. It's funny, cause you'd think that so called emos would hate a person who wasn't emo, but my friends that are of the scene style just treat 'preppy' or whatever girls just as they would any other human being. Afterall, we're all human beings in the end.

• scene guys and emo guys a hawtttttt!

• I actually really like the style aspect of them, especially the hair. I just don't like the negative persona that comes with being emo. Scene kids tend to be pretty chill though.

• Those are tacky "styles" and the people who dress like that, 99% of the time are posers.

• True, but not completely. Usually the ones who suddenly grow out of it were just going through a phase. But some, it's just their style e.g. rockstars like Nikki Sixx, Jared Leto...they don't grow out of it, because it's their style (sure you may wanna tone it down as you age) but if you're young and can get away with an interesting style, just go for it! That's my opinion.

• It isn't interesting it's called unoriginal and "I can't find my own style"