Is this really heredetity that dad and I think the same?

I was out with my dad yesterday for his birthday. I took him to lunch and after lunch we saw this girl who was wearing some goofy looking sweatpants. We looked at each other and we went "Girls should not wear sweats out in public". How can this be heredity. There's no gene for that kind of thing. I don't want your opinions on if my opinion is right or wrong. I'm just curious as to how this could be heredity. Honestly, it was the first thing my dad and I agreed on in years and it scared me. :(

Like I said, my opinion still stands I'm just curious is all

Most Helpful Girl

• That's not a hereditary trait, that's blatant common sense (which the girl evidently lacks).

• To my dad and I it seemed like common sense but that doesn't mean she thinks it is. By the way pardon for being forward but you are really pretty. :)

• ...And why not?

• Oh. You're too funny. :D

What Girls Said 5

• Personal preference is sometimes learned, and it would make sense for you to pick up a personal preference that your father also has.

For example, my mother likes guys with tattoos and piercings, and so do I. My father had many tattoos and piercings growing up, as did my grandfathers and many of my uncles. Seeing so many men with tattoos and piercings became "normal" to me, and so I seek that in guys I date.

I figure that your mother never wore sweats out in public because your father didn't like it, and so to you, wearing sweats in public is not a normal thing.

• Thank you for at least not attacking me for this. Your explanation seems logical enough so thank you :)

• Why would I attack you? People have different preferences, and that's cool. You don't like girls in sweats, but my boyfriend loves them. There's somebody for everybody.

• Many people feel like because it's the internet and the anonymous feel to it, they can attack you for whatever opinion you have. I like this site because of the ability to ask people I couldn't normally ask my parents or friends :)

• It has nothing to do with heredity.

• it's not hereditary, it's something learned. similar to when a father tells his son that he should hold open the door for his mother or little sister.

• It's a mere coincidence.

• He raised you so chances are very high that you're gonna have similar beliefs and values.

What Guys Said 2

• Is this a joke? There is no way that this is genetic. This is more psychological than anything else because you're opinion has been shaped by the outside world, the environment. It only makes sense that you had a "coincidence" with your father because for most people, their parents are the biggest source of influence. For instance, many people vote for the republicans if their parents were republican and vice versa. If you wanted to take this one step further to disprove that this is not a trait, then you can make an analogy to homosexuals. Being gay is not genetic because there would be no way the "gay" gene could be passed down, men do not produce offspring. Being gay is a choice that has been influenced by people's interactions and environment.

• It's my opinion that you are born gay. Coming out of the closet is proving that you are through experience. This is just difference of opinion but I guess you're right about how it can't really be heredity.

• Actually, that could quite as well be the reason for the "gay gene" to exist - to take out the malfunctional defects out of the gene pool.

• I do not see your problem with sweatpants. I think they're attractive.