Guys: do clothes actually matter?

If a girl dresses fashionably and cool does it make a difference to guys? Does it make a difference if girls actually try to dress up? Like sweatpants versus skinny jeans or a skirt... Or with make up and evrything? Because I have to wakeup rEally early on a daily basis and sometimes I don't have time to put my makeup on... But I do in my opinion dress fashionably. Just wondering guys' opinions :)

So do guys hate it if a girl doesn't put anymakeup on at all? Do they evn notice? Also what would you say is your favorite style for a girl to wear? Like bohemian, or grunge, or girlie...
Also what type of clothes do you like on a girl? Mini skirts, skinny jeans, v neck tshirts, ect?

Most Helpful Guy

• A pretty face is most important, no need for makeup as long as you have a pretty face,a few makeup is OK , too much makeup is kinda ugly, and yes we can recognize too much makeup (and I think its kinda slutty).

dressing doesn't really matter it just need to be a little over average in daily life , and a Nice dressing in special occasions is something good for the eyes, and remember able 8-)

What Guys Said 11

• Not really, no. I mean, we notice when you dress up, we can see that there was some effort here, like for a nice date or something, but I don't think it really matters. I think we more notice your clothes and the context of what we can and cannot define and see when you're wearing them, as in, skinny jeans really show off your legs and ass, a low-cut top shows your cleavage, and so on. I think we notice, yes, but we don't really care what you're wearing, although we may notice the kind of vibe what you're wearing produces. As in, what type of person/personality would wear that kind of thing?

As for make-up, seriously, less is often way more, we like a natural look, not covered in layers and whatnot. We don't fall in love with make-up, we don't like to kiss it. we prefer the face underneath.

• Ok Thanx :) very insightful

• it matters but not to the same extent all the time

so dress up and invest in good makeup application when it matters and give it a rest other times.

pick your battles seasonally (spring, summer) and week wise (weekdays / weekends), plus mix it up a little. just because it is a Monday in november, you should look your best some random % of the time just in case.

clothes have to fit you and work with your figure not against it. skinny jeans are good, but not if there is muffin top belly busting out from them, for example.

• it depends on the girl, & I like whatever the girl likes. My favorite looks are tucked in tops, tops belted & the waist & baby-doll tops, but I love jeans & rock tees, hoodies or other tops, skirts and dresses are feminine & cute, & even leggins & a long, slightly baggy tee can be really sexy. I notice to the extent that I know how much time girls take to look nice, & I like complimenting them & making them feel good. But, as far as caring to the point that I'd say if you do or don't wear makeup or a particular outfit then I'd be turned off or reject you, not at all...

• Heck yeah it does. I don't match so you don't have to. Women that present themselves with a fashionable, trendy and clean appearance always look better than those that just throw on some old jeans and a tshirt. The kicker for me is, hair, though. You can have the cutest outfit but if you don't bother styling you hair don't even bother. That's like getting all the right ingredients together and baking a perfect cake but not bothering to put any frosting on. You're just wasting your time.

• By styling hair do you mean just so it looks good down or like up in a ponytail or bun with a head band?

• what about the slightly messy bed hair look? lol.. I would hate it if my purposely messy hair was to be confused with 'non-styled hair'

• As long as the clothes match the hair style. When you're rockin' aeropostle sweatpants and an oversized college hoodie with a messy bed hair look... its probably really is messy bed hair. I'm imagining more of a grunge/rocker look to pull off the messy hair style more appropriately.

@ThenTherewas1 I keep a clean appearance and can articulate what I find attractive in women. Nothing gay about that.

• oh yes, it makes a HUGE difference! well, to me anyways!

I don't understand how all these girls walk around campus in sweatpants. it's so bad looking. it's like they don't care what they look like. bleh.

I absolutely love when a girl wears skinny jeans with a cool top. so foxy.

Keep doing what you're doing. the right guy will notice.

• Looking good is hard work. Sometimes sweats are a nice break.

• I wear sweats to class because they're comfortable. And plus I don't like skinny jeans. Why dress up when you're simply going to class?

• I agree, sweats look sloppy. and its not that much harder to put on jeans, and its not like he's saying wear skinnies every day. If you by the right jeans, they are actually very comfortable. Hollister is my favorite, because they are so comfy.

• Wearing something that flatters you matters. You're more likely to get noticed if you wear something that shows off a nice physique than if you have a baggy shirt and pants. As far as trendy/fashionably/cool, I don't really care, and I don't think most other guys do either.

• it doesn't matter what you wear , it matters how you dress , you can wear sweat shirt , pants and be good looking , how you put your clothes together is important , and that doesn't take anytime , I'm not a make up guy either , a little to say that you are a girl is enough :D ( hate girls who don't have any make what so ever )

• yeah, and he saying goes dress he way you want to be addressed. dressing almost naked doesn't make a girl sexy rather exposes her body and I don't think we guys like that. but it's good to dress fine at least modestly without the objective of having someone fall for you

• I don't know how much difference it really makes. Sweatpants and stuff are OK, if you wear something really weird it's a turn off. I find necklaces a turn off. If you wear stuff that makes you look fat it'd probably be a turn off.

Just being a bit lazy sometimes isn't a turn off.

• Necklaces? Really? I nevr thought necklaces could b a turn off

• That's just me, lol. Yeah I like mini skirts, jeans, jogging bottoms, yum.

• Ok thanks :)

• Depends on what a girl wears.

It does matter... pajamas while going out to a shopping mall? Major turn-off.

• yah it does!

What Girls Said 3

• Different guys like different clothing styles. My boyfriend likes me dressed down in sweatpants and a t-shirt, but he also likes when I dress up in a skirt and heels. As long as the clothing flatters your body and you are confident wearing it, a guy will probably like it.

• I can say from experience that some guys care and others do not. I had guys that want to see me dress up and look like a lady, And the other guys that don't care if I wear anything but jeans and my comfy sweatpants. The guys who don't care if I dress nicely I got more comfortable and let me looks slip and that wasn't cool. So I prefer a guy who doesn't require it but like for me to do it every now and again. I think it helps me with self confidence.

• I've found that most guys don't really care - as in, wearing casual or trendy clothes isn't a deal-breaker for them. Still, they can gauge the type of person you are by looking at your clothing (even though no one should have prejudices about other people, it is true that you can tell a lot about a person by what they are wearing). Different guys have different types - some guys are into the girls with the alternative style, some guys like the bohemian girls, some guys like the emo girls, and some guys like the girlie girls. However, most guys do appreciate it when you've made an effort to look like you didn't roll out of bed. Typically, if the guy is in love with you, then he tends to not care what you're wearing.

People who look presentable (not necessarily dressed up but wear clean, ironed clothes without tears in odd places - including sweatpants) come off as more confident and smart, both of which are attractive qualities. And it's okay not to wear makeup on a regular basis - especially if you're the type of girl who guys consider naturally pretty.