Do you think I spend too much on beauty products?

i spend about $1,200 a year on beauty products. this includes makeup, skin care, hair care, and perfume, along with things like hair cuts, brow waxes, and all those beauty treatments.

you might think I'm a cake face with that amount of money invested in makeup, but I'm really not. I just like having many shades of eyeshadow and lipstick to choose from. I also have half a dozen perfumes.

i buy quality products because I've found that cheap drugstore things don't work well for me. cheap brands often irritate my face and scalp.

i spend all my own money on this, except when I receive them as gifts, since most of my friends and family know what brands and shades I wear so that's their go-to for Christmas and my birthday. this type of spending doesn't negatively impact my way of life. I can still support a middle class lifestyle. I cut back on things like nice dinners or expensive clothing, but I'd rather have my beauty products than those.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's only $100 a month, and if you're cutting out other recreational activities then that really isn't much at all considering how much other people spend on leisurely expenses. Knowing high brand makeup, and products, $100 isn't a crap ton of stuff every month like some people would think. I've seen people criticize women for spending money on things that make us feel good like makeup and such, but they go and spend $5 a day on a cup of coffee.

If you can support a comfortable lifestyle that you're happy with, then it isn't a problem. There are always going to be people who want to try and tell you how you should spend your money. You work for it, spend it how you want as long as it isn't negatively impacting other people.

What Guys Said 6

• If you can support this habit and are able to pay your bills, then it doesn't really matter what others think. I suggest you save some money for retirement and investments, but it's your money. Last time I checked, this is still America. If buying makeup makes you happy, then more power to you.

• $1,200 a year isn't that much actually, considering even the most basic cosmetic surgery operations would cost several times that amount.

If a guy says he prefers his women natural, he's probably talking about someone he's already interested in. Sad, but true. I hear guys saying that like it all natural, but just from seeing which girls get hit on the most, a little make-up goes a long way.

Ultimately, it's your choice whether or not to buy beauty products. If it helps with your confidence or makes you happy, by all means, enjoy it.

• $100/month is reasonable, I think

• Are you girls serious...? :O

• Poor women :\ they really should need to spend that much. Oh well. Natural is usually awesome to us guys, you know?

• Guys say that, but it's cliche bullcrap. Y'all think chicks wake up looking flawless. if the chick is ugly it isn't awesome

• Youre only concentrating on makeup, when its only one of the 7 things she mentioned she spends that money on. That was my point...she didn't say she spends that much on makeup, she has a whole list that her budget includes. Certainly if you don't want the girl you are with to spend money on any beauty supplies,and against salons there are plenty of women who dont. Nothing to get worked up over...

• I guess I'm trying to see how she can spend that much (or other girls more) to keep themselves clean or get a hair cut. I mean, I get a hair cut like every 3-6 months (sometimes I let it get too long, but meh, my hairs awesome long or short :P) and that's less than 20 bucks. I spend less than 100 on hair cuts a year, I spend whatever for shampoo, tooth paste, etc a year, but all that and it won't be that much. Just wondering how... sounds like she might be getting overpriced products then.

• I personally think you do, I like girls without make-up, I won't like my woman wearing a mask.

What Girls Said 16

• Girl, don't let other people make you feel bad for doing what you want and what makes you happy. It sounds like beauty is one of your hobbies. If you like to collect makeup and try different products, you're definitely not alone. Just look at youtube full of fun tutorials on everyday looks and costume makeup and product reviews. It's just a girlie hobby and I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

As long as you're happy with yourself as a person, wearing some makeup is not gonna cause any harm. It's a relatively safe and easy creative outlet. Just look at all the people doing extreme sports or guys spending thousands on cars or electronics. I think you're spending less than most people do on a hobby, so enjoy yourself!

• Wow that is a lot. I think you're a bit too obsessed with the way you look and that's not a good thing. Cutting back on things for the sole reason that you want the best make-up and beauty products seems a bit too much? Although I for one can't judge as I myself too like to also look good, but I don't make that the top priority in my life. I also used to think that drugstore stuff is crap, but not everything will make you break out. So I do think it's silly when girls claim that drugstore stuff are of less quality. But to answer your question, yes I do think you're spending too much.

• I don't think that is that much.

I might spend more than that on my makeup and stuff.

I try to keep it cheap but I do spend a lot.

I use bar soap, astringer, lotion spf 15 and then I use bareminerals which is costly.

I also use the same stuff at night except some benza clin and night lotion.

It costs money though to get all that stuff and to keep my face beautiful.

I use cheap make up to save money. LIke wet and wild stuff, but I do love make up.

• Im not that into beauty products, my ex even commented one time that I never wear makeup and liked how I go totally natural (ahhhh yeah sure..) and I still spend more than that between all the things you mentioned (makeup, hair, skincare, perfume, etc etc)... plus I avoid paying full price. Being a girl is expensive lol You're well within reason.

• I don't think that's excessive at all. The key is what you said, "I buy quality products because I've found that cheap drugstore things don't work well for me. cheap brands often irritate my face and scalp."

I agree with you totally! You really get what you pay for and I only buy decent quality cosmetics, too. They look much better and they are kinder to my skin. Besides, the lipstick lasts longer, the blush and eye makeup and foundation just last longer and look better.

Guys spend it on what makes them feel good and we girls can do the same.

• Shiiiit, that seems like a LOT to me. As long as it's your own money and you can afford it though, go ahead. I'd probably spend that much on it if I had the means. :P

I waste hella money on stuff that probably seems stupid to other people, so it's not like I'm judging you negatively, haha.

• holy crap. I mean... *I* think it's too much to be honest. I mean if other brands really do irritate your skin then buy the expensive stuff. but you don't have to buy so much of it. like you said. you LIKE to have a lot of shades of eyeshadows. but if you're spending that much then you should just buy a few. I think it's great that you have that kind of money. and it's yours so do as you want with it. but a lot of colors is not a necessity. buy the shampoo and skin care products that you NEED. but try and cut back on the stuff you know you could go without.

• No as I believe it's unfair to judge by amount spent.

Last year I was on Accutane for 6 months, technically each box of pills would have been around $500, but it was only around $200 with insurance. Does that mean I spent too much because I decided to treat my acne? No.

I think it's based off of how much you buy.$1200 could mean yo got a couple of microdermabrasions and chemical peels or it could mean you bought many different beauty products. I think number of things determine more.

But if you can afford it, then hey, more power to you. I used to spend more than that, about once a month my mom would take me to ULTA and I'd spend $200-$300 on makeup, we have the money so it's whatever.

• Am I the only woman here horrified by that number and that fact that its spent on beauty products? That's a years worth of insurance. A hundred dollars a month for a 401k or a Roth IRA. A payment on a student loan.

• 1,200 ? That's NOTHING, when you add up skin care, makeup, brow waxes, hair care blah blah over the span of a year its really not that much. Think about how much your paying for each one/the name brands. I'd say I spend about that to. your not a cake face. I love buying extra things, some I rarely use.

• Thats not much at all, it would be much If it was a month but a year I think woman spend even more much more actually

• Jeebus that's a lot. But who's to say what someone else should find valuable?

• Haha not at all. That's a pretty good amount.

• i spend about 2000 on a bag this past month. is that too much?

different people have different expenses. not a big deal

• Man I wish I was you ...I wish I had that amount of money to waste in beauty products ...My mom never gives me money :(

• it has nothing to do with luck. I'm 24 and have a good career that pays well.

• sorry nvm, I commented on the wrong one.

• I spend waaaay more than that a year on beauty and makeup... The way I see it is it's your money, you can spend it however you like.