Is it unhealthy to hate the way you look?

Use to have great self esteem when I was 17 weighing at 130 but I gain some weight now at 20 weighing at 153 and hate the way I look .

Most Helpful Girl

• Unhealthy? Yes. Abnormal? No.

Most women from their teens begin to dislike and even hate the way they look. Some get over it eventually, becoming more concerned about their home lives, husbands, children, etc.

Others never truly get over it and dislike the way they look for most of their lives.

Personally, I've had issues with my appearance since I was 8, I became depressed, stopped doing anything and then gained a lot of weight, which only made it worse. To top it all off, I had really bad acne when I was first hitting puberty, while all my friends had perfectly clear skin without even trying. I can't say that I've gotten over it yet, but I'm doing a lot better. I've grown taller and I carry my weight a lot better than I did, though I still have 50 extra pounds that I carry. I used green tea on my face every night and now I only really have acne during 'that time of the month'. A friend told me when I was complaining, 'if you don't like it, change it'.

Mm, funny thing, I've never been concerned about anyone else's appearance, just my own. I couldn't care less if a person is 'ugly' or 'hot'. As long as your personality is beautiful, you are too.

What Guys Said 2

• That's not that bad, & I bet it's distributed well. My BFF gained that much for a while, & I never knew til she told me. You're probably beautiful, & you can always lose that...

• yes

What Girls Said 4

• it's unhealthy to just stew about having low self esteem. If the weight is the problem, go work out to lose it. It will make you look and feel better

• NO... Its unhealthy to start hating the way you look and doing nothing about it. If you don't like your weight change it. Change it before your 20 becomes 30 and the like. I'm annoyingly tiny. I can't keep the 10 lbs I want to save my life but I'm still tryin. lol

• We are our own worst critics of ourselves. You probably have a stunning face and the weight that you've gain is part of being a women - you probably have the most amazing curves!

• it's never a good thing to not like yourself