Anyone else think modern art is going a bit too outrageous?

I can handle Jackson's pollacks work but some of this really new art like human feces in a tin can and a machine that recreates the human digestive system and actually produces real turds is really disgusting I like the whole really simple direction in which architecture is going but some of the stuff in art exhibitions just looks like there running out of ideas like what's next the way vomit falls on the floor? I know art is suppose to push boundaries but what boundaries are these people pushing and where are they going with it?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a HS senior but plan to be an art major and I can't stand modern art. I love Warhol, Dali, and others though...

What Girls Said 2

• Modern art is such a broad term, you're referring more to, like, installation art/abstract art, probably. And yeah, I'm not really such a fan of it, but some people seem to like it, so I don't care.

• yea I know what you mean. Like this guy who paints with his penis link wtf?

What Guys Said 2

• Quite true for the most part; the increasingly underground Avant-garde art scene you see around is really becoming more of a middle finger to the artistic norm as opposed to conveying any sort of meaningful emotion or message.

I don't mind the modern art which makes you think or feel, (i.e. Expressionist paintings from the 20th century and the like), but stuff like this is pointless: link

What is this artwork trying to tell me? How does it make me feel?

The simple answer is nothing; it's not particularly beautiful and it doesn't say anything to me, much like similar works in its scene.

• A lot of modern art is specifically designed to outrage your sensibilities. If you don't like it don't patronize certain galleries. Vote with your feet.