Has anyone dealt with a body image disorder?

I think I have developed one and can't seem to break out of it. Yes guys can have it its not that uncommon nowadays.

If you have any experience in overcoming it I would greatly love to hear it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, I used to. I remember my head just feeling crazy and being unhappy with my entire self. When you don't like your body and you can't see what you really look like, you don't like yourself and you can't see yourself clearly--the perfections and imperfections.

I used to be really weird about food (still am, but it's positive now). Binges, laxatives/purges every now and then, exercising due to guilt. I don't think I was a full textbook example or anything like that. But I did enough stuff to myself that I know it's a horrible cycle. I feel for those who do (and at the same time, I get frustrated with them, too).

Anyway, I figured out that I'm always going to be a little crazy about food. I knew enough about myself--my weaknesses, that I tried to figure out how to go around them or how to even use them. The very first thing I did was throw out all my laxatives. I stopped hanging out with girls who do that annoying "I'm so obese" thing. I then tried different things to satisfy that part of me that still wanted to cope with the body image prob--calorie counting and daily exercise. The calorie counting made me a little crazier, so I stopped that (later I tried eating only veggies & legumes, but I stopped that too). I kept the daily exercise thing though.

Exercising every day really helped clear my mind. It also made me appreciate my body--the muscles and strength, what I can actually physically do. I have always been physically active (when I was young, it was sports team--sometimes forced, sometimes I joined them on my own). But I think it's figuring out what is best for you, what exact exercise form makes you feel good about your body and yourself. For me, it's running outdoors. Everything else makes me obsess more (eg. treadmill, elliptical, rowing, etc.)

In the end, I think you need to figure out what will make you feel better about who you are. Food-wise, I have found I need to eat the same healthy-ish types of foods over and over again--repetitive, strange (I know) but safe. Exercise-wise, it's running outside. It's also about other aspects of your physical appearance--I take pride in my choice of clothes/make up/hair now--dumb and shallow, but it strangely helps. I have found what works for me. It's not all gone, but that has definitely helped me. I know for guys, it's different; it's about being more masculine, but I hope that helps you some.

• reading you're answer has helped me. I wasn't even the one asking the question. you've made me realize swimming is what makes me feel good. I used to swim everyday for 2 hours in high school.. and then I got out I stopped. I would get really thin when swim season came around. and then I stopped swimming, gained a little weight and got into a gym and started running. I need to start swimming again. I know the ins and outs of it and it makes me happy!

What Girls Said 7

• well you did post a picture of yourself with a body image so maybe you are very conscious of yourself in a good way I mean! I am not sure if I ever did have body disorder image but I know I started going to the gym and eating right well everything raw so that helped my health and how I look! Hope this helped!

• I'm not sure if you would really consider this one, but I have ADHD and I was put on medication for it to help me out with school and ADHD medicine makes you lose your appetite and so the last medicine I was on I wouldn't really eat ANYTHING! I could survive off of like 5 potato chips for 2 whole days! like one day I'd eat the 5 potato chips and have NOTHING else for the rest of the day (eat or drink) and then the next day I'd have absolutely NOTHING...i would usually wander aimlessly into the kitchen and look in the cupboards and fridge and think "that doesn't sound good" or "i don't feel like standing here to cook that" or "theres no food in this house" (although my mom would ALWAYS argue there was plenty of food...there wasnt) but yeah I ended up losing 30 lbs because of that, which, I was happy with losing it tbh, but as the weight kept coming off I realized that it was becoming a serious problem. so I took myself off of my medication and I've gone back to eating, although now I'm in college so there's food around me all the time unlike at home its easy to find food but I'm trying to maintain my figure now because I don't want to gain the 30 lbs back. I mostly just eat dinner now though because my school schedule is a bit weird but I don't know if this would really help you any because to overcome it all I had to do was get off the pills but I wanted to let you know you're not alone, lots of people suffer from these disorders and you can talk to your doctor about it too

hope I helped some!

• Here is what I will tell you, first of all from what I get you don't like your image right? Well I never really had a body image dissorder but I use to have issues loving my body. Well first of all it's all about what you like and dislike about your body right? So what do you hate about it. What I think can help you is love who you are because of course if it started with someone well beauty is in the eye of the beholder right so everyone has a different point of view. But for your own body image everyone is far from perfection, and tell yourself you are beautiful(it sounds cheesy) but try it I don't know if it's gonna work I don't know what can but think that way you are beautiful in your own way just do what you usually do that's all I can think of for now best of luck ;)

• Guys are getting this more and more. I was bulimic as a teenager. I started focusing more on things I enjoyed like hiking, mountain biking, snowboarding. I know all physical things so why would I think I needed to lose weight, I was already very fit. The more I did these things that I loved the less concerned I was about my weight or how I perceived the way others saw me.

• simply time.

• every single day of my life.

• I've had body issues for a long long time. Eventually I became bulimic and I've struggled with this a couple of years. My parents found out and it only got worse. After denying it I finally started seeing a therapist 6 months ago. I don't talk that much about food though, because your problem with food is not your biggest problem. An eating disorder is a result of your image of yourself and how you truly feel. I mostly talk about my childhood etc and how I ended up this way. I have been way way down. I used to be a cutter. I was severely depressed for a couple of months. I had a problem with alcohol. I did a lot of stupid thing. My eating disorder has ruined a lot of things in life. I don't let anybody see me naked, in a bikini or in underwear. I stopped having gym because I don't want to shower with other girls. I haven't been to the beach since I was 12 and I live 5 minutes from the ocean. I feel like I'm slowly recovering. Talking to someone helps, but at times it feels pointless. For me the hardest part is that no one seems to understand. I'm the outgoing bubbly girl with a lot of friends and a great sociallife. Sometimes I don't go to school because I can't handle it. Sometimes I just sit in the back listening to music but what sucks is that nobody knows what's really happening to you and it feels like nobody cares. I will recover from all of my problems and I can't wait to start over in college. I suggest you see someone. Talk to someone, talk to a proffesional. It won't get better over night. I haven't trown up in two months, but my image of food hasn't changed at all. Give yourself a chance. You are not alone. You just need someone to tell you that it will be okay.

What Guys Said 1

• I dealt with it by putting up a picture of Arnold Schwarzenneger on my mirror. I am now buff as sh*t and I didn't even have to work out!

• dont troll and waste my time

• (my characters ran out :[ ) this may sound weird, but I choose a day where I'm going to look bad and not care, so I look my best on certain days but on Friday I walk out in my baggy clothes and don't care. You really have to build up your self esteem or else nothing will really help, wether that means working out or eating right but don't physically harm, I know what that's like, and don't do drugs to be skinny, I've done that too. BAD IDEA. I hope I helped.

• LOL, people have to lighten up!