Should I shave my head?

OK, so I have honeysuckle colored hair that is about shoulder lenght. I really want to shave my head to donate to cancer and to release drag to make me a faster swimmer, but I love my hair and I am afraid what my friends will think. Does anyone have advice?

Most Helpful Girl

• That's a great cause! But only do what you feel comfortable with. If you think you can't walk around looking like Natalie Portman link

But I don't think you should care what your friends think, most people wish they could do that. But again don't do it if you don't want to. You can also get a wig if you want to. Not to sound offensive, but you may be thought of as a cancer patient. People stereotype like that and just assume that since you have very little hair that you are sick. So you may have to face that as well. I think your better off going with a pixie cut, that's still a good amount of donation hair without going too drastic. Best of luck!

Cute pixie cuts!

link

link

link

What Guys Said 6

• If you want to shave for cancer AND reduce drag for swimming then go for it. There's no reason more noble than cutting off your hair for cancer. If someone mocks you for THAT then they're trash. Don't worry about what other people think about you. If it makes you happy then that's the most important thing. There are many girls with short hair that are pulling it off very well.

~Distant

• Every woman should shave her head at least once in her life.

I think that it is important that you understand that you only live once. So why should you remorse over something you didn't do? Besides its only hair and it will grow back! I support your decision to shave your head!

GO FOR IT GRAB A PAIR OF GUARDLESS CLIPPERS AND SHAVE IT OFF>ITS SO LIBERATING!

Who cares what other people think as long as you are happy withit. Besides if people ask just tell them in support of my late grandma who died of...

email me on george.toutounji@hotmail.com if you need any help on this issue...who knows I might support you and have you shave me bald too;)

• Don't worry what they think. Do what feels right. It's a great cause, and you don't have to explain yourself to ANYONE.

Good Luck :D

• for good causes... if you think you can pull it off, go for it.

• do it lol... I feel you my friends will make fun of me if I shave my head

• If you have to ask, then you can't pull it off.

What Girls Said 12

• Sure, Natalie Portman chaved her head and still looked amazing. Yeah yeah, not everyone's a Natalie Portman, but still, I think you should go ahead with it if that's what you want. Check to see how much hair they need, and if you meet their requirements, go for it. Of course, you don't have to shave all the way if you don't want to. I donated to Locks of Love about four years ago and they just took 10 inches off my hair, so it was shorter but not completely gone. Hair grows back, and it'll probably be healthier too. As for your friends, I'm sure they'll support you once they realize your reasons for doing it. Good luck :)

• Go for it! I'd love to shave my head for cancer, but I'm too chicken... personally, I'd really admire someone who had the guts to do it.

And even if you aren't happy with the way you look/feel afterward, remember that it's just hair-- it'll grow back before long. :)

• If you want to, you should :)

Honestly though, I applaud anyone who does that. To be able to shave your head for the good of someone else is really kind and courageous of you.

I've wanted to do it myself, but I can't pass my insecurities of being bald. And thus is why I admire those who have the strength and generosity to be able to shave their head in order to donate to cancer patients :)

I think you shouldn't care about what your friends will think. If they were true friends, they wouldn't care how you look like, they would care about who you are...and if you were to go through with this, I personally would think you're an incredible person.

I wish you well, and good luck!

• NO.

I donate the locks of love, but I have never, ever shaved my head.

You should grow it out long enough so that you have enough hair for a bob. Also, form their website "Hair that is shaved off and not in a ponytail or braid is not usable. If shaving your head, first divide hair into multiple ponytails to cut off."

"10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece. "

Thank you for doing such a wonderful thing, but don't ruin your style for it.

• I might be answering a bit late, and maybe you already made your choice, but yes, it would go to a good cause, and help with your swimming, but, having hair is part of being a girl. I'm not being sexist, but I'd be nothing wihtout my hair. It just makes me feel confident. So, why don't you wait until your hair grows long and then cut it and donate it, that way you'd still have some hair left.

• sure if you want to go brittney spears then go ahead. whatever floats your boat

• its kind of extreme so why don't you just cut it really short instead

• I know this might be a bit different, but I had cancer and lost all my hair. I did wear a wig for a while, until I had some stubble or whatever you wana call it.

At first it was really difficult facing my friends and all.. But I later realized how stupid it was that I cared.

now I'm growing my hair so I can shave and donate it.

I really support you shaving it. It's for a GREAT cause, and you'd really feel amazing for doing it!

You shouldn't care what your friends or anyone else thinks. If this is what you want to do, you should be confident enough and PROUD enough!

You have all my respect and support! :)

ps. you can cut it really short, which I'm sure would look great (after my whole 'experience' I became a short hair fanatic. lol)

• gofor it. it's for a good cause

• I think that shaving your head for cancer patients would be great! I don't know if I could ever do it, but I know 3 ladies who have done it, turns out they love short hair!

• go for it if you want to. you can always get a wig temporarily

• First find out if you have enough hair to donate. They require a certain length.