If your partner didn't want you to get tattoos...

I would never really get one, but my boyfriend wants a few REALLY BAD. He does care about what I think and has asked me for my opinion. I told him straight up that I think they're a waste of money and that I don't like that they're so permanent.

The tattoo he wants isn't bad or trashy, it's in memorium to his deceased friend. But the tattoos are BIG and on both arms. I worry about his future and how it will affect getting a job and how it'll make him look.

What is your opinion? Should I try to stop him? Or should I relax and let him do what he wants?

Most Helpful Guy

• As his girlfriend you have full right to tell him you think that's a bad idea and that you don't really like it. I mean, you have to deal with it just like he does. I think that maybe somewhere else on his body would be a different matter but along both arms is a little extreme.

What Guys Said 4

• Once you've voiced your concerns it's his decision. But I will tell you that I was in a similar situation with an ex over tattoos and piercings and frankly I was not as attracted to her after she went through with it.

• Why don't you just make sure he get the tattoos where he can cover them with a t-shirt? That's what I did and for the most part people have no idea I have them. Also, if you keep him from getting something he really wants will he end up resenting you?

• He asks for your opinion, feel free to give it. Feel free to dump him if he gets tatted up and you don't want to be with someone with tats.

Don't feel free to control him.

• I say dump him. I hate tattoos, threaten to dump him at least and see how he thinks.

• That's not a good idea AT ALL! I'm a girl and even I KNOW that that's what causes drama and I should never threaten a break up for a disagreement. That's straight up manipulation.

What Girls Said 2

• I think you have every right to state your opinion...just like he has every right to get the tattoos or not. He gets the last say, but that doesn't mean you can't get a word in edgewise. Tell him that you're concerned about his employablity in the future and that there are better ways to keep the memory of his deceased friend.

But ultimately, you have to respect whatever decision he makes.

• Your heart is deff in the right place I think it is great that you have been able to freely tell him how you feel about them.

I think that you should let him know that you would like him to, if he does get one to make it smaller and somewhere that you cannot see like on his back or chest or whatever. Make sure he knows how you fully feel about them and that you worry that it will effect him in later life. Once you have told him everything leave it to him. If he wants to talk to you again about how you feel he will.

And if he does decide to get them then maybe one at a time just check that it is what he wants rather than go out and get loads before having just the one.

But in the end you will just have to let him make up his mind, all you can do is tell him your feelings.