Why do girls ask if they look fat in clothes?

okay this is what happened my girl ask me if she looks fat in these new clothes she bought today and i tried to avoid the question because i know i can't win because if i say no she will just say your just saying that. and if i say yes she would call me a asshole so ladies,girls,and women why do you all do this to guys? i need to know? ps she 5'4 and 120 pounds i will post a pic of her on my profile.

Most Helpful Girl

• We do it because we need reassurance sometimes especially from the guy who we're dating. When she asks that question tell her she looks beautiful in anything. Its basically just a time where we need a confidence boost or to know that we're not going out in public looking terrible. If she looks fat tell her no but suggest her wearing something else. By this I mean don't say "no you don't look fat, but you should wear something else" say "no you look gorgeous but I like the purple dress better."

• Thanks! This really help me. I tell her she's beautiful maybe not as much as I should. She will never look fat to me she will all way's be gorgeous to me! You give good advice and I will tell her more often! Thanks again!

What Girls Said 10

• Yeah...I haven't done that in...well...ever...

If he doesn't like me in certain clothes, then I just don't wear them around him. My partner's generally honest.

"yeah...that looks weird on your butt."

He's probably right. Why should I b*tch at him if he's giving me his honest opinion?

Your girl is probably just insecure. Go shopping with her sometime, pick out some outfits for her, then tell her how hot she looks. I know, I know, men HATE going to the mall. Let her do the same for you. Bonding and such.

• she's fishing for a compliment. We know that its immature and annoying, but we're going to do it because 95% of girls are insecure, whether they show it or not. Beat her to it, by just telling her you like her outfit or touching her butt endearingly before she asks you. my ex used to touch my butt or caress my side then kiss me when I walked by so I felt good in my body(: not that I don't, its just nice to hear, you know?(:

• This really makes sense THANK YOU! I found out why she was asking me this about her being fat in her new clothes she was having her PERIOD today and I know that makes girls feel fat and ugly. I'm cuddling with her as we speak and she is feeling much better!

• i'm glad I could help(: a period is an AMAZING reason to feel like utter sh*t. she'll appreciate your cuddling with her(:

• I don't I think its retarded. its certainly embarrassing for me that girls feel they have to rely on someone elses opinion to affirm themselves. I don't care how many magazines they see- they don't have to read them. they have a mind of their own they can use i. it is a choice. they use their own conscience to guide them, not someone who makes billions of of their externally inflicted- self perpetuated insecurities.

if I felt that uncomfortable that I could not confidentally, wear a pair of jeans id work out eat less lose weight. anything else is just bs and emotional black mail. if she was really concerned and not learning disabled shed DO something about it and stop acting like a 6 year old trying to make everything your fault. its her body she should woman up.

• She wants you to tell her she looks good! Tack a compliment on to that "no"

• Haha, sometime this answer will be certain all the time. It is absolutely "Wow! You look so pretty and thin". But sometimes you just say "Really a little bit fat.", it is okay.

• I do it to friends, not love interests. and I do it to them before I go to see love interests.

• Just say no. If she said you're just saying that. Say nooo!

• sad

• insecure

• I personally don't do this and have never found the need to. I think it's just about wanting to hear more compliments from you. She shouldn't have to practically ask for compliments, though.

What Guys Said 2

• I usually tap dance around the subject! I don't want to tell her that her butt is as big as Alabama & that she's got the Bama but going for her.

I just say that I don't care for that outfit, it doesn't seem to be your style.

With that said with the next 10 outfits she tries on it gets harder & harder not to say Bama Butt so I just give in & say NO YOU make those clothes look sexy.

• tell her you think she's hot and it looks perfect or great or find some nondescript word. she feels good and you avoid said question.