Dressing your best always or dressing down sometimes--Can I get some opinions?

This is a conversation my best friend and I were having yesterday.

My best friend wears dresses, heels, and bold makeup every day. She always looks fabulous, but I asked her why she'll spend 2 or 3 hours getting ready for a lecture or meeting me for coffee. Her response was that you never know where you'll pick up a man, so you always have to look your best. This comes from a girl who has had at least one guy ask her for her number or date every day since I've met her, so her logic makes sense.

I dress more situationally. I dress up like her when I'm going out to dinner, but to class I'll wear jeans and a cute blouse, or sweat pants and a tank top if I'm only running to the grocery store or laundromat. Though I've had a boyfriend longer than I've had good taste in clothes, so perhaps my logic applies more to taken girls than single girls.

Feel free to state your opinions regarding how you dress personally and what you expect from other girls, etc.

Most Helpful Guy

• It makes sense what both of you are doing. Though there are girls who has a boyfriend already but still dress to impress, even if the boyfriend is not there. Though I guess its just in case the girl bumps into him again, but I find its enough for the girl to wear situationally, like what your doing.

And anon is right, people have different style of dressing no matter where they are. It suits their appearance and personality.

I find if I get up and go (wearing just t shirt and jeans), I get less notice than if I "dress" properly.

btw... I normally get up and go to lectures and routine stuff... like what your doing.

What Guys Said 6

• It depends on the girl. Some girls like always being dreesed to the nines. Others prefer to always dress comfy, like jeans and tees/hoodies. Sounds like you're a mixture of the 2 depending on situation N thnat's my favorite, but I love all three. Personally, I like wearing my jeans/shorts N rock tess because it's MY style. It's who I am. Yours is the way you like to dress, kinda casually dressy unless or commfy inless needed otherwise. However anyone likes to dress is what's best for them...

• I dress normal jeans and shirt, and leave my hair the way it is. Point being I'm a lazy person and don't want to waste time.

I like girls that don't go to too much effort to impress me, I like you the way you are, not the way you dress or try too look.

• theres no more need for you to impress, she's single therefore she's dressing to impress. the only reason you have to dress up now is on your "date night". unless you're a girl who likes to dress up. I personally love when she does it all the time, though id probably be a bit intimidated to ask out your friend

• I know this is 3 months late but oh well... I personally like women who wear jeans and a tshirt or sweats and a T versus one who dresses up everywhere they go. To me it shows that they are confident enough with their looks to not have to go all out for coffee.

• whatever works for you really -- personally, I notice a girl quickly like your friend -- but that's because I'm a legs and heels kinda guy -- so she would win by default. :)

• I dress to match my personality.

What Girls Said 3

• What your friend does is pretty extensive, imo. It just gives off a "trying too hard" vibe. It might be fun/get her attention, but at least for me, no way would I be willing to sacrifice that much time (or sleep!) for it. I don't like feeling overdressed either (which I often do if I wear a skirt or dress or something at school or whatever, since most people wear jeans or sweatpants) so yeah, I'd definitely never go the whole dress, makeup, heels route.

I don't know though, at least with the guys I'm usually around, attractiveness matters more than what they're wearing if they go after a girl.

• You have to dress however you feel comfortable, sometimes I like to get dressed up and other times I like to just be comfortable. Some girls feel like they are unattractive unless they are all dolled up all the time. I know for a fact that my boyfriend likes it when I dress comfortably, plus he doesn't like lots of makeup. I think that single girls care more about looking their best all the time, than girls in commited relationships, because they really don't need to impress anyone. At least that's how I feel.

• I am in between. I'll wear heels, dress jeans, and a flirty top. but I downplay the makeup and hair