Are "beer goggles" a real phenomena? Have you ever experienced them?

For those who are unaware, beer goggles is when a person becomes more attractive after some drinks have been consumed by the observer.

I've never experienced beer goggles. Every time I go out to a bar or party, I discern who I think is attractive or unattractive before I start drinking, and everyone is the same level of attractiveness and looks exactly the same to me when I'm buzzed and when I'm drunk.

However, last night a guy told me I was the prettiest girl at the party, but I know that's not true in the slightest because my best friend, who is a model for Victoria's Secret, was standing right next to me. There was also a really hot blond girl and a beautiful, exotic Armenian girl I was partying with, so I definitely wasn't the best looking. This leads me to believe that he was experiencing beer goggles.

So, give me you opinion on beer goggles and your experiences with them, if you care to share.

Most Helpful Guy

• It hasn't happened to me. If anything I'm less interested in sex and generally like to converse when I'm that inebriated. However, I've seen it first hand in some friends (guys). The pickiest sober guy I know has has said "I don't even care (what she looks like) dude, lets got get it". This was a random girl on the street, who...didn't look great.

More importantly, you may have been the prettiest girl to him, even if he was sober. Although men tend to have a vague common conception of beauty (we can agree the Rose McGowan is prettier than Rosie O'Donnel), if you ask 10 guys who is the prettiest girl at a party I doubt you'll get 10 answers that are the same. A girl next door may very well be prettier than a Victoria's Secret model to me.

What Guys Said 5

• Oh yea, it's true. I started hitting on this butt ugly girl at a party once because I drank a little too much and my comrades had to drag me away, so I don't make a mistake.

• I have once. You have to be beyond wasted to experience it. I was like black out drunk for it to happen to me.

• I've worn beer goggles before, it was crazy.

• urban myth

• Yeah, it's not so much that I can't tell who's good looking and who isn't, I just think that the drunker I get, the lower my standards get.

What Girls Said 2

• I'm not sure beer goggles necessarily exist.

But I'm sure with a lot of people their standards get lower than usual when they've had a fair bit to drink.

• Yeah it can definitely happen. But you have to be really drunk.