Is there something I CAN'T take in my luggage on an airport?

Besides the terrorist-ic things like weapons and stuff is there anything I can't take in my luggage? Like what if I bought knife for a souvenir can I take that or no because it's a weapon. Please describe what type of things I can and can't take on my luggage NOT my carry on.

Sorry about the confusion guys I was just wondering what I could take in my checked luggage NOT my carry on. On my carry on I'm just going to take my laptop and my headphones. I just want to know IF I can take my knife in my checked luggage and also how thoroughly do they check your checked luggage can you take like a doobie in your pants pocket or will they find that?
One more thing,sorry guys,After the plane takes off and leaves the ground can I take out my laptop and start listening to music or does it have to remain in the bag or is there a fee to use the internet or wi-fi if available?
I lied ONE more thing,how much earlier before the flight should I get there to have time to check in or get all my luggage checked on time?

17

Most Helpful Guy

• Visit the TSA website. There will be a list of things you can't take in your luggage. There's a difference between carry-on luggage and checked luggage. When in doubt, put it in the checked bag. You can have a gun, ammunition in a checked bag. NOT a carry-on. Just to give you an idea about your little knife.

A knife is something you should put in your checked bag. They let you take hatchets, swords, all that stuff ... in the checked bag.

• Okay,that sounds good thanks man.

• I believe all they'll do is X-ray your checked bag. They may open it though if they feel the need. They have some type of sniffing machine for bombs but between you and me it doesn't work. You could get away with putting a doobie in your pants pocket. It won't show up on a metal detector. Assuming they choose to pat you down (not likely) a dooby probably wouldn't stand out during a pat-down. Think about it. It's not as secure as you're worried about.

• What about if I put like a doobie in my pants pocket that's in my checked luggage would that show up in the X-Ray or IF I was going to take one with me should I take it with my on my pants I'm wearing?

Sponsored

What Girls Said 1

• wet food I think

What Guys Said 6

• I suppose there are limitations. I mean you aren't likely to fit John Travolta, or a Shetland pony in your luggage. Pretty much anything up to, and including children under the age of 10.

• Over a certain sized container of liquid isn't allowed. I think it is 4 ozs but you'd have to check. This would include shampoo, deodorant, bottled drinks, etc. Most of the other stuff would be obviously illegal.

• The souvenir knife needs to go in your luggage, not your carry-on. You can't bring regular sized shampoo or body wash on your carry on.

• Child p*rnography.

Causes unease during the X-ray.

• Haha I don't have any to take with me anyways nor do I want any.

• Thanks and I flew from TX to WA when I was like 3. Haha

• Hahaha, nice. Flyings not bad, you should bring something to suck on or something for the ascent, 'cos otherwise it really f***s with your ears.

• How early? Depends on how far your travelling. I think the largest amount of time I've seen is 3 hours recommended for trans-Atlantic London/New York flights, when you have to go through Visa control.

• Okay,well I'm traveling from MN to TX. I was thinking about maybe getting there from an hour and a half to two hours early.

• Could be either. Depends on the flight. Ask at the ticket desk.

• Alright,Thanks again.

• Do not take a doobie. Seriously. If caught, they will not just confiscate it and smack you on the wrist the way a traffic cop might. They will f*** you up.

Knives and so on, are usually okay if the luggage is checked in, because you can't get access to it.

The checked in luggage is x-rayed and passed through chemical detectors and if they are available, sniffer dogs.

when the plane takes off, your "Seat Belt Fastened" sign will stay on until you reach cruising altitude, around 30,000 feet usually, and it takes about 10-15 minutes. Then and only then, can you use the laptop. If you have an iPhone or some other device, it must be set to "Airplane" mode to reduce RF leakage to minimum, and again, cannot be used while the plane is taking off or landing. When the plane is getting ready to land, they will remind passengers to turn off phones and laptops.

If there's internet/wifi, (this is relatively new) there will be a fee. Each airline is different. Ask at the check in desk, in case you need to prepay or something.