Beauty and Its Effect on Personality?

It makes a lot of sense that some people who are blessed with good look may fail to develop proper social skills or to cultivate interesting characters because their good looks have gotten them so much from society who reward them for their look.

There are exceptions to the rule, of course. Maybe because beauty is largely very subjective, but I have met beautiful people with wonderful morale values and characters, and butt ugly people who were, well, butt ugly inside and out.

In a way, you can view physical beauty as a possible source of handicap, when you are looking for meaningful relationship.

What say you?

Most Helpful Girl

• Looks doesn't have anything to do with it, it's how you were brought up. I know tons of pretty girls that are nice and smart because their parents raised them with morals and values. I also know pretty girls who are nasty on the inside because either their parents are nasty people or they spoiled them and didn't teach them the right way. Society does reward you for your looks, but everyone who is exhalted by society isn't going to be bitchy because of it.

• Don't get me wrong, the other answerers made very good points. Yours, summed it all up really nice.

What Girls Said 3

• I've only recently really come into my own- I was always called cute or sometimes hot but never really had a boyfriend because I wanted lots of other friends and didn't want to be tied down or have baggage. But now I don't know what happened honestly- I randomly started loosing weight and my face seems to of changed slightly in shape and my hair is really nice right now. But it's come so suddenly and it doesn't really mean much to me, I mean I have a fiancée and I'm about to graduate so I'm worried about other things. My personality hasn't changed at all that I've noticed, I still mess around and joke and do silly embarressing funny things. I mean last night I was talking with a friend outside a club and I made this joke about buying new jeans and fitting into a smaller size- then I did this happy dance and a guy who had been watching us came up to me and said I was the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen and he'd leave his fiancée for me.

But I still feel like it wasn't what I looked like that caused him to say this but my happiness and my energy- I mean beauty is in the eye of the beholder but happiness is kind of universal feeling

• To be quite honest, it isn't all that great... Like twincapersred I was never beautiful as a child... But around 9th grade I started to become a lot prettier... I am sorry if this sounds concieted but now everyone says I'm beautiful... and my personality hasn't changed but now it's actually caused problems for me. The guy I really like went after this other girl who I know (and everyone says) isn't that pretty, but he feels insecure so he went after her and I really really wish I were her even if she isn't that pretty because in the end beauty didn't really help. Guys always either become my friends or act really nervous around me I never get an inbetween

• I think those that really have got the looks are sometimes the ones that forget their personality and focuses on themselves appearance looking at their own reflection on the mirror regularly and posing at cameras. Also they care about others how they look instead of personality too. When I think of true beauty I think of everything that is the personality which brings out the image of attractiveness.

What Guys Said 2

• Yeah it's what you make of it. Being butt ugly can be a big handicap if you're insecure about it and do not find a way to move past it.

Then good looks can be a handicap if you're lazy and you rely on them too much at the expense of growing.

So either can be a handicap. It depends on what you do with what you have.

I have not so good looking freinds with amazing characters and social skills, some with social abilities far greater than mine. And some that don't really have that good scoial skills, but have character.

Then it's the same for the good looking freinds I have. Some have social skills far beyond what I have, and others don't have that good social skills at all.

• Beautiful people have an easier time with everything, including developing a winning personality.