Will you ever take measures to look better even if they may be detrimental for your health?

A friend of mine has pimples issue. He has a lot of pimples, but it's not of a severe case. Personally I understand pimples can make us feel insecure about ourselves, but I don't think it's ever a good idea to take extremely strong medication just to remove pimples. My friend resorted to taking antibiotics for more than a year now. He told me it's the strongest medicine ever, but he has to go for blood check ups every month as the medication may harm his body. His parents didn't think he need it, but seeing that his brother did it and it worked for him ever since he stopped medication (which is 1 to 2 years), thus he resort to going for it.

I respect that it's his choice. But the money, the health risk, all just for the looks. This triggered me into thinking whether is this all worth it just for looks? Surely there are some people who really need the help (e.g. people who get severe skin or face damages deserve to get comestic surgery and other help due to the psychological impact it has on them), but do we, physically normal and healthy people really need to bring it to that extent? I'm curious about what you guys think with regards to this particular situation with my friend. Feel free to bring in your thoughts about other health-wise risky measures taken to look better.

Also, will you ever do cosmetics surgery to look better?

sorry about the grammar. I noticed it's suppose to be "detrimental to" instead "detrimental for"

Most Helpful Guy

• A lot of people will do things we don't approve of.. They'll even do things that the health industry doesn't approve of (like smoking, binge drinking, etc)... So the way I look at it - is that there's nothing you can do to force them to stop/change what they are doing.. You can only influence their feelings on what they are doing (E.g. "Personally, I like your pimples.. I think you're wasting a ton of money only to potentially harm your health").

So, I guess my answer is: "If it's none of your business, don't be too concerned, but don't be afraid to speak up about how you feel regarding what they are doing"

~ ArtistBBoy

• Re: Your follow up with me on chat... I haven't done anything to infringe my health, in order to improve my looks. But I have a sister who has. To be brutally honest, it's not my body so it's not my problem. It's really shallow for me to say that, but if I had a true problem I would say something in the way I mentioned above - but in most cases, I don't spend the time necessary to try and play police with other people's lives.

What Guys Said 1

• no. you should just play the cards your dealt.

What Girls Said 1

• When I was 14-15, I was bulimic. The long process I had to go through to get myself to quit taught me a huge lesson on self-love. Long story short, no, I wouldn't put myself through something like that again.

If something makes me physically ill and feel bad, I would be unhappy. So it kind of defeats the purpose of "self-improvement."

Cosmetic surgery is only temporarily painful (assuming it doesn't go awry), but I still wouldn't do it, just because I wouldn't look 100% myself anymore.

I understand your friend's dilemma. Even *I* feel a little self-esteem decrease when I get pimples, just because I think they make me look much less attractive. That sounds vain, haha... Your friend is just doing what he thinks will make him happy in the long run. This is a cliche thing to say, but I really do believe that self-love comes from within. It explains why extremely attractive people can still be very insecure. I hope he manages to feel good about himself somehow.

• Thanks for your input :) Many people, and most girls are vain and we have insecurities with something about ourselves.

Recently I have a girlfriend who has a very bad skin. She has a lot of pimples, taken a lot of measures (perhaps too hastily) and it backfired on her. She has very dry, oily and sensitive skin as well. Sometimes she feels very upset about her face (coz it's red, oily and has pimples), and she thought of going for a medication (doctor prescribed) which cannot be taken by

• She has thought quite a bit. I do think it's something she should let her family know as well. If she's gonna take it, for the least she knows that she needs to be monitored, especially since it brings depression. Currently she's still sitting on the fence on making the decision. Meanwhile I have a feeling her parents will allow but not encourage it. I genuinely hope it all goes well.

the only quote I'll ever give to her is "with health, you have hope. and with hope, you have everything"

• Mmm, yeah. :/ I really hope it all works out for her.