You know how some people read a 350 page book within a few hours?

I want to know their secret. Do any of you have that ability? And how do you do that? I read a chapter here and there and it takes a long time to read just one book. So please share!

Most Helpful Girl

• I do sometimes, if a book is really interesting, but usually I try to slow down so I can better absorb what I'm reading. It depends on the subject too: how difficult it is to understand, how important it is for me to comprehend everything, the style of writing, etc. I can be pretty analytical in the way I read, and for research papers and essays, it actually saves me time in the long run. It's also not uncommon for me to go back and re-read a passage to figure out the minor nuances, or appreciate the way something was phrased. I find it more enjoyable that way, to stop and think about things a little, instead of speeding through it.

However, if you want to read that fast, practice helps. The more reading you do the faster you get, and if you're interested in the material--that helps too. I also think I read faster if there's no one around and I'm completely focused. This article has some good tips if you're interested: link

Speed reading is a useful skill, but I think it's better if you can read fast and comprehend everything to the extent you want to, which might take some training.

• Wow Great answer :) thank you so much! That was a great link to help as well, it really helped. I also reread things a lot more than I should and it is just hard to absorb the content. So I will have to practice for sure.

• No problem! Thanks :)

What Guys Said 7

• It's called speed reading. Certain programs like EyeQ can enhance your speed in comprehending the words. One trick is to not read a word one at a time and avoid reading with your mouth, i.e. don't say the word as you are reading.

• I'm a.d.d. so... haha. that's almost impossible for me. a plane can fly by out my window and.. woops there goes my lost page. Lol

wish I knew the secret.

• I can knock out about 100 pages in an hour. I just read quickly, not sure how. It's not so special, really.

• I read 70 pages an hour, it just takes practice and a good book

• My mom can do it I asked her and she said it is because she reads so much, ever since she was a child she said she always carried a book around. So really it is just practice and maybe if you started earlier you are more likely to read quickly.

• I can do that and I don't know how really I just read

• I can do that. I've been reading books since I was young. There is no real secret, I just get really engrossed and read.

What Girls Said 14

• I'm definitely one of those people. I can read from the time I wake up, literally to the time I go to bed [assuming I have nothing else going on] if I'm really into a book. I've read four different books in the past week, and just started a fifth, haha.

It's not something I can really explain or give tips about because I don't fully understand it myself, lol. I read pretty fast in general, but the book itself really does make a difference in how quick it goes or how much time I spend wrapped up in it. Some books I'll breeze through in a few hours easily, others I'll pick up and put down, on and off for weeks, before I finally finish it. But I also tend to read several books at a time, so my mood will decide which one I'm picking up at any given time, and consequently how long it takes me to finish any of them. =P

• Hah nice! I want that! I read a few at a time too and that could be part of my problem since I take a while to read 1 book anyways.

• I know, lol, but she has maturity well beyond her years, to match her reading level, so it's not TOO bad. She's very bright. =D

• Hah well that's good, I mean, ya figure if they are at such a high reading level, they can probably handle whatever they choose to read.

• Some people just enjoy the escapism of reading more so than others and can get really lost in a book, and, in general, the more you read, the better and faster your reading comprehension. (There are people who train themselves to speed read.)

Oh, and, you know, if you're reading something interesting, you're less likely to stop to ponder the details of what's going on or get distracted by other things. I remember reading the last Harry Potter book in about six hours through the middle of the night because I just flew through it. On the other hand, I could take much, much longer to read the same book if I really wanted to stop and appreciate the complexity of everything that was there.

• Wow nice answer, thank you :) But even if I am into it, I get distracted haha.

• I read pretty quickly, I'm not really sure how. I guess just practice? I read a lot and have ever since I was little, so maybe that's how.

There are speed reading courses that you can take, but I can't vouch for the effectiveness of them.

Really though, the speed you read isn't that important, it's what you take out of the text. And sometimes going through a book too fast is depressing. :/

• Hah yeah I suppose practice is what I need! Yeah, I can see how it can be depressing to just be done way too quickly with a book. But sometimes it literally takess me months, because my A.D.D. will kick in and then I am totally not into the book anymore :(

• I've been reading consistently since I was about 6-7 years old. Practice has indeed made well near perfect. I can speed read (usually when doing stuff for university) or read fastly & completely (fiction, etc). It really is about just doing it as often as you can and getting used to it.

It's harder to keep reading if the material is boring, though.

• A friend of mine can do that (and I don't know how she can).

I enjoy reading, but I take 2 weeks or a month to read a 350 page book even if I really like the story. I start to being tired in a few hours.

• Yes, I am like that too, my A.D.D. kicks in after not too long.

• I can read a book that fast, but I never thought it was something special. How long does it take other people to read a book? A 350 pager would take me about 3 and a half hours. I think my average is 100 pages per hour.

• I speed read. I can pick out the parts that are important, and move quickly. I can remember all the important details that go on too.

• Wow, I read and reread and try to remember later, but cannot remember a lot of the time.

• it depends on the book. if it's a textbook on a boring subject, my rate is 1 word per hour. if it's like something awesome, like harry potter... I won't sleep until I've finished reading. :)

• Haha 1 word per hour, that's funny, but sadly true! Man, Even with awesome books, it takes forever, because I do a lot of rereading.. I need practie for sure.

• well, where is the joy if you are going to eat your meal in less than 5 mins? :P

• I don't know, I just read quickly. As long as the book is interesting...

• i can't do it, but my roomie is a english major.. she reads so much

• practice makes perfect. you read more you start to read faster. I read a book a day last year (no time now) but now I read super fast :)

• Haha dang! I wish I could do that!

• haha its pretty good till you run out of decent books...

• Ohh yeah I had thought about that and what would happen.

• ha! I can do that yeah :D but not all the time & not on purpose. I remember a book I once bought & once I start reading the first chapter, I found myself dwelling into the beauty of this novel. I found myself almost finishing the novel in a few hours. Sometimes, you just do it :)

• i can if I'm really into the book. once I'm lost in the book, I won't put in down and I'll go through it pretty quickly. so the secret is interest

• I get sidetracked easily even with the interest, it kinda sucks sometimes : /