Why do girls wear red lipstick if guys hate it so much?

I know girls like to be sexy and girls think it's sexy, but most guys hate it. Isn't sex appeal mostly towards the other sex? It's not like you can see your lips without a mirror anyway.

Also if you plan on bitching at me don't bother. I didn't say anything rude in the question.
For any guys that answer when you say you don't hate it let me know if that's any girl or only certain girls. If you hate it like 90% of the time or more I'd consider that still hating it.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm also joining the "no red lipstick" team, but I'm also a part of the "no lipstick at all is better anyway" team. Red lipstick typically makes you look like a clown or a hooker (hence the name "hooker red"). Some women look okay with it, but most do not. This is my opinion.

What Girls Said 17

• Sexy isn't about appealing to the opposite gender it's about sexual confidence in your own sexuality.

That confidence may appeal to the opposite gender.

If sexy was limited to the other sex then gays could never be sexy.

Attractiveness is about appealing to the other/same sex.

• Uh no. I meant being sexy as in wanting to be attractive to who you like. So the way I said it gays could be sexy. Sexy also isn't solely about yourself. You can't be sexy if no one else see's it. If you just think "damn I'm sexy" and everyone disagrees you're essentially just arrogant and over confident.

• yay! you're happy!

• Well yeah hugs are a big step in the right direction for me. haha

• red lipstick looks good on few people most girls wear it cause they are too dumb to understand it is completely unflatering

• It's more for myself :P

• And I don't know about other girls, but I only do it when I'm going out for the night, more so when I'm all dressed up for an event or party. And I'm rarely 'on the prowl,' so men aren't my main concern. But I feel hot in red lipstick, and it looks real classy c:

• i'm with you girl.

• I had no idea guys hate red lipstick, I wear it because my hair is jet black! and I think it brings out my features?! hmmm I am surprised about this new info!

• I think girls look better with either a nude or pink lipstick or just none at all. It looks especially odd on black hair and pale skin. No offense. If you like it go for it.

• wow! no its cool! :

I'm just shocked that's all! lol

• we don't hate red lipstick...at least not all of us...I hate foundation

• I think it's hot. Why should I care what some dude would think? ...aaaaand I don't.

• yeah I don't really like red lipstick either, I think it attracts too much attention and just isn't cute to me. however I LOVE this look but probably couldn't pull it off:

link

i really have no idea why anyone would disagree that she looks hot

• Yeah that's one of the few I've seen that looks good.

• We tend to wear lip gloss mostly. The people I see though, I don't wear lipstick because it gets on your teeth.

• Do YOU always do everything because girls might like it?

• well we don't try to look sexy just for guys,i myself wear what makes me feel good about myself

• Well I figured that. It's hard to word the question and not come off as offensive or one sided.

• I always like it when a female says she doesn't wear make-up just for guys...becuz I know damn well that that is not true...

• sorry! I meant to say that that IS true...in other words females do NOT wear make-up just for men...clumsy of me...

• if I would have know this info before, I wouldn't wear it as often :-/

i mix a dark red & pink lip gloss, because I don't like the look of the bright, bold, reds.. link

i've always kinda liked it, plus it matches some of my cute shirts.

• That color looks like your lips are blood red. Major turn off to me. I know I don't know all guys opinions on it. I just know it's way up there for one of the most hated that girls love and guys hate.

• haha, good to know!

• i only wear it to match a dress if I'm going formal. other than that pale lipstick or gloss

• I didn't know guys hated red lipstick?

• Yeah most guys dislike it or only think it's OK. It's not that often I see a guy saying I love it like the anonymous guy below.

• I would not go out with a female that was plastered in foundation...

• They either hate it or they can't tell and assume the girl isn't wearing any.

• I don't think guys hate it. It looks nice.

• You hate it.

• guys don't hate it. you might hate it lol, but others don't. I never got any complaints. and most lipsticks are red or a variation of it

• I'm not understanding this red lipstick trend. Where did it come from?

• It's pretty old. Where exactly though I don't know. Check wikipedia.

• It is pretty old but it went away for a while and was only popular with older women then came back and now I see high school girls wearing red lipstick.

• its definitely a fashion statement and a symbol of classic beauty...its always going to be around

link

but its meant to be worn on special occasions, formal events, and is even considered professional for work

the trick is not to wear it when you know you're going to be seeing your boyfriend/guy because when you kiss or makeout it can become a sloppy mess...and if you want to then grab a lip stain! they feel like nothing on the lips and just stain your lips red until you remove it with a makeup remover/oil

link

What Guys Said 5

• I guess its personal opinion. Some like it some don't. Personally, I like it :D

• I agree, red lip stick is hard to pull off, most girls can't but golflipaburger's is alright.

• If you're talking about my prof pic, I'm not actually wearing lipstick :P

Thanks tho!

• huh? really looks like it. good for you, you don't have to spend as much on cosmetics then.

• Huh? I think it's amazingly hot on certain girls.

• Put me on the "boo red lipstick" team. 90% of the time it makes you look like a clown.

• @ the update:

Once in a blue moon I'll see a girl that can rock red lipstick. The rest of the time it just looks so unnatural and weird. It's just WAY too vibrant. I much prefer a more natural, skin-toned color.

• That's the way I see it. Darker reds aren't anywhere near as bad but bright red is weird.

• I love it!

• why on earth would anyone give this a down arrow?