Makeup?

Guys say that they don't like girls who wear a ton of makeup, but it seems like the girls who get all the attention pile it on. Can anybody explain this to me? Is it just because I am in high school?

Most Helpful Guy

• You guessed it. Let me explain my point of view on it. The guys are hanging with the chicks that pile it on cause they are a bit on the trashy side, we are attracted to that. BUT! As far as Girlfriend or wifey material, it must go deeper so piled on makeup isn't good because there is too much fake there. (and to be a bit rude if I may, who wants to wake up at 4:30 in the morning after a good date, and this chick is next to you without her makeup and turns out to be fugly. At least the more natural girls, you know what you get and that makes you more naturally pretty.)

What Guys Said 7

• You know I have to believe that guys really don't like makeup all piled on to girls.but remember they do like girls that tend to take care of themselves, and are willing to take the time out of their day to go the extra mile to look good. Just take a look at the animal kingdom, only the males that have the best colors and the best mating dances get to mate.lol.it may be funny but true. You don't need to pile on the makeup, but you do need to show that you are willing to take the time to make yourself look good, it shows you take pride in yourself.

• I tend to think of it like a circus. Sure there are lion tamers, elephants and trapeze artists. But the ones who get the most attention are the clowns.

• I personally like girls to wear less makeup, but for special occasions it is nice to go a little heavier. No one can deny that tastefully done makeup is appealing to look at, so if you take a cosmetic class that will go a long way (I am a fashion photographer, so this factors in). The cons of a lot of makeup are1, often the person doesn't have a clue how to make it look good, so it is just garish. 2 Kissing a ton of lip stick is not only unpleasant, the guy usually winds up wearing it. 3, it hides your natural beauty.

Learn how to accent your beauty with makeup, not cover it up. I think when a guy says they prefer that women don't wear makeup, he really means that he prefers a woman knows how to wear it. Correctly applied you have trouble (especially if you are the common man) telling where it ends and begins.

So my advice to you is, take a class or find someone who really knows how to apply it, and learn some makeup basics. Then wear appropriate levels of makeup for the occasion, i.e. a small amount for everyday, a medium amount for special occasions, and go all out of prom or a wedding.

• from what I've seen the girls that pile on the make up are more outgoing.

maybe the makeup gives them confidence?

i don't know but they always talk a lot more

not saying there aren't girls that don't wear a lot of makeup that talk a lot but on average the girls who wear more make up talk out more

• I actually find that the girls that wear tons of makeup have lower confidence because they think they need something to make them beautiful. Although they may talk a lot, chances are, they don't think very highly of their appearance unless they have a ton of makeup on.

• No , I disagree with anonymous147, the girls I know who wear tons of makeup are actually quite full of themselves.

• I wear makeup when I feel like it. it makes me prettier.

• its because guys are retarded and we only notice a girl is wearing a lot of makeup when she put it on really badly

• depends on the guy, I know that, for me, a little makeup to none does the trick, too much is just what it is "too much" it makes you look like you're hiding something, therefore making you "unreal". a little lipstick that brighten the lip, and a little eye shadow to brighten the eye, should do you right

• Honestly I'd rather have an average girlfriend that just wears eye liner or very little makeup than a girl that looks hot with lots of makeup.

What Girls Said 13

• our boyfriends already seen us ugly and beautiful,he knows you're his.when you leave the house you always make sure you look pretty and made up for other people that's the fact.other people that are better looking than bfs are possible rivals.so as much as possible they want you to look less attractive for others because bfs knows you are already beautiful for them undone or done.

those made up girls,are obviously tryin to attrack other peoples attention.

REALITY? guys love to see a sexy made up and all dolled up girl than lousy boring "home" look.like you said,they're eyes are always pulled in to sexy filed make up girl.

if your boyfriend say,i want you to look simple,no make up.my bad? but its the fact,he's tryin for you to look less attractive for other threats.hhhhmmm wear make up that looks natural on you,good foundation,define your eyes a little,a nice lipgloss that toned to your lip color.dont make your face shiny lol keep it nice and flawless.its not to attract others,its to keep your man from checking out other girls.insted the look at you.

if you have nice body ,always emphasize it.if you have long legs,wear a skinny jeans,or skirt on summer,if you have nice boobies,wear V neck,it'll show off a little clevege,just a little though.:)

always remember,to make pretty for yourself first before your bf.and wear make up that match your age too.

• I think guys are pretty much just indifferent to makeup with or without unless it’s the first thing they notice about the girl’s face (In that case, it would be wayyy too much).

To us, because we are so familiar with our faces, makeup causes us to undergo a huge transformation.

For example, I have a very slightly asymmetrical jaw, and I never noticed it until I was 13 and got braces and my orthodontist brought it up. Now, ever since I was “enlightened” to this imperfection, I notice it in EVERY single picture I see of myself. I’ve told other people about it, and they swear that they can’t see anything. But it still bothers me.

Same thing with makeup. We keep covering up the same flaws that no one besides ourselves really notices, and are afraid to leave the house without mascara because we feel it makes us look “so much better.” Seriously, I have known girls who refused to go running in the dead of night in their neighborhood without eyeliner! Another friend of mine bought like more than $50 worth of special waterproof makeup to wear to the beach because she hates how she looks without it. Guys (with a few exceptions) don’t wear makeup or feel the need to wear it because they have grown accustomed to the way they look without it. Makeup really can be an addiction! The more you wear it, the more you are dependent on it. The truth is, aside from concealing pimples etc. and maybe adding a little dazzle, makeup doesn’t make a girl look BETTER, just DIFFERENT.

I don’t wear makeup all the time. When I do, it’s just enough to make me look like I do at my best without it. I’ll hide that occasional pimple, add a little color to my cheeks, and wear clear lip balm. If that’s not enough, then I’ll add a tiny bit of feathery mascara (not black for me; brown) That way I avoid the whole “omgsh she looks like a different person without her makeup!” dilemma.

I think this is honestly what most guys prefer, and I can’t think of a better way to explain the “why” of it. I hope this was helpful!

• First, yes, high school does affect things. Guys, girls, we all change later. I promise. But also, you have to remember that all guys like different things. Some guys like the made up look, some don't. And those girls might just be the type to grab attention.

Personally, I've found that I can go out on the town with little make-up in a t-shirt a jeans and get hit on more than when I'm made up and look pretty. It makes you more approachable, more down to earth, more laid back. The type of girl a lot of guys want. So just do what you think is best for you, and some guy will love it.

• That makes a lot of sense, thanks =)

• Most high school guys go for the girls who wear heavy make up because these are generally the girls who are seeking approval and are most likely to put out. Fortunately, if you have good skin, then you don't need to pile on a ton of make up to look good.

As long as you use a good mascara (I recommend Dior Blackout for night and Maybelline waterproof for day) and a nice lip gloss every day, you should be good to go. If you want to have a little extra edge, use a small amount of blush (Duwop cheek stain or Rimmel cream brush) and light eye shadow for day and a darker (purple) eye shadow for night.

Don't bother with foundations, powders, etc unless you really need them as they will clog your pores.

• Correlation not causation, usually. Girls who wear makeup tastefully normally have other lovable traits that tend to go along with that. Also.. definitely agree with everyone who said guys just don't like makeup when it's badly done or when it radically changes you beyond subtle enhancement and concealing noticeable imperfections.

• The only time guys notice when a girl has makeup and when it is a turn-off is if it's too much and does not look natural. Girls who know how to use makeup properly use it to hide their flaws and accentuate their features which makes them look prettier and gain more attention.

• my sister layers on her make up and gets a certain type of attention from guys whilst I use a little just inhance what I have naturaly and guys still like me and compliment me and to be honest I end up getting more numbers than her.

• i think its all in the attitude rather than in the make-up. the girls that wear make-up are always looking for attention because that's why they wear the make-up so they are more outgoing and its easier for guys to get with them than with the shyer girls. At least that's how my experience was.

• the guys who don't like tons of makeup are the decent guys. the girls who pile on tons of makeup look 'easy' and attract the wrong sort of guys

• I honestly don't get that either. Whenever I DONT wear makeup, everyone picks out all of my flaws. However, when I cake it on I get called trashy. Guys are confusing.

• I have to wear my makeup

• lots of makeup=hot and slutty=wil want to do stuff with guys therefore guys liket hme

• the point of make up is to make it look like you aren't wearing it at all