Pippa Middleton's dress at the Royal Wedding.

I noticed that the bride's sister, Pippa Middleton, was wearing a white(ish) dress at the Royal Wedding. Does anyone know why this is? I thought the general rule was to avoid white as a guest or member of the wedding party. Is this not true in England?

Most Helpful Girl

• Actually, I heard that it was done on purpose to show how close the two sisters were. I don't exactly agree with it because in my opinion, only the bride should wear white. It's tradition and its the bride and groom's day. All the focus should be on them.

What Guys Said 8

• If you want to follow the intent behind a 'white dress' at a wedding, then neither Pippa nor Kate were qualified to wear white that day.

• exactly, most brides aren't...just wear what flatters you, I say.

• Well, the royal wedding was hardly a 'normal' wedding. Are you surprised the same traditions weren't followed? I'm not.

• I agree. I think that only the bride should be in white (even though Catherine was not a virgin). However, Pippa did look HOT in that dress.

• i would assume its obviously not true for england if she got away with wearing it...i'd also assume youd assume the same thing lol

• i heard that kate wanted her to be in white since the two of them get along so well

• She was hot! Why else would men notice it?

• Would have looked better if she was draped over my face in it.

• who cares she looked hot!

What Girls Said 16

• I can't post any links because I'm only level 1 but, do some simple wiki searches and you'll see where I'm coming from.

My mom's a school teacher so I grew up with lots of books on lots of cultures and history and their accompanying mythology. I also have a very multicultural family. I'm a nerd about it, I know .

This was covered on a little news item on my local news station and it was also referenced in the People magazine special issue about it.

IT IS TRADITIONAL for the brides' maids to wear white, it is NOT for the GUESTS. The brides' maids are MAIDS meaning VIRGINS which is why they wear white, as does the BRIDE.

In most countries, including America, white was not a common color for bridal gowns until the 1920s.It is only more recently becoming more popular in older countries, although, yes, Britain has been popularizing it right along side Americans.

Supposedly, Queen Victoria first got the wealthy elite brides wearing white lace wedding gowns because they wanted to emulate hers.

If anyone thinks their family's tradition of wearing white is very old, check again, most cultures have only recently started favoring white.

Madam is what you are supposed to call a married woman, but only if she is in fact a Dame by title.The shortening of this is Ma'am and my cashiers at my supermarket have been calling me ma'am since I was about 20 *haha*. I have never been married to a 'Dom' which is a title from when land ownership meant something .

People today have forgotten these things...it's why an unmarried older woman get called an old maid and it's why 'Ma'am' is not an automatic sign of respect anymore, usually, it's only respectful to woman who you're acknowledging as an established member of the community by her marital staus, something most people don't care about in America anymore.

• It is tradition, but it is 2011. Basically people now a days break with tradition. When I get married I want an unconventional wedding. In the case of Pippa, perhaps she was wearing white because she didn't want to distract from the wedding gown, and also because she was part of the ceremony. She did help to carry it down the isle. And I think she looked great, as did her sister. I think it was a cool idea to do that. There is really nothing wrong with wearing white to someone's wedding if they have said it is okay. Sometimes the mother of the bride will wear white too. I think the whole not wearing white unless you are the bride is just because it is supposed to be the bride's day. But people are being unconventional in these times and doing things differently. So it really is up to who is having the wedding to decide what they want to do :)

• I read that it is a long standing tradition to have the wedding party wear white. What I can say for sure is that the wedding details were so planned and reviewed for so long, that there is no way they would have allowed a mistake in the form of dress color to occur.

• Actually, it seems more and more people are tearing away from most traditions like that these days, so seeing other people dressed in white isn't as big of a deal as it was before. Also, there's a lot of brides who don't want to wear white on their big day, too, and opt for different colored dresses. My dress I'll be getting married in is all pink, and I also broke another tradition by showing my fiance the dress while I was wearing it. :P

• Okay let me set the record straight, I'm British lived in England my whole life and been to a few wedding, and yeah I've heard people asking that too about Pippa, its kinda a taboo here aswell. Like you wouldn't show up to a wedding in white - it's just a no, no :P

• The australian commentators for the wedding actually said why Pippa was wearing white...but I wasn't paying much attention to it so I can't remember, sorry!

All I know is that it was on purpose (obviously) and there was a reason for it.

I think it was a beautiful choice, classy yet plain enough to not take away from Kates rather lacklustre gown. And both gowns had matching lace trim and button detailing to match.

I'm now thinking that bridesmaids look great in white and will keep it in mind for if I ever get tied down.

• It just seemed kind of humble to me, as if she knew she already had enough of the spotlight and wasn't that concerned with drawing anymore attention to herself.

Besides, in my opinion, it worked--I mean, Pippa looked gorgeous, and the dress went well with the rest of the wedding party's attire as well as the overall theme of the wedding.

• everyone could care less. it was a huge wedding for just rich people. if my sister wore the same color as me, oh well. but she looked pretty.

• it is a rule/tradition. as is having a bridal party of children

• I thought the same thing but I watched a show where they talked about it and in England that is not really a taboo like it is here.

• Pippa was very much criticized for her wearing the white skin tight dress because: 1) it was white & 2) her dress looked better than Catherine's dress.

• It is in general a rule here too, but it's up to the bride to choose what the bridesmaid's wear, and if she wanted her to wear white, then that's what she wears :)

• Well I wouldn't have anyone else but ME wearing white in MY wedding.

• its tradition but they probably didn't follow it , that's all =)

• yes that's what I thought as well. I wouldn't want a bridesmaid to wear white on my day. but her dress was obviously picked out extremely extremely carefully, so I guess it's ok

• Not sure but she was working it!