Fashion sense - does it matter?

Personally I dress pretty scruffy. i.e. sneakers, cut off jeans, flannel shirt rolled up (/some obscure band t-shirt) with shaggy naturally messed up hair. (I guess kinda similar to the 90s grunge style) To be honest I don't really care about fashion - for me it'd feel a bit contrived, but hey each to their own...anyway, I often hear how girls like guys to dress well. hmmm, I don't think I match that criteria! and I was wondering what you think about it. is it important for you to have a well dressed man?

BTW I'm not thinking of changing how I am/dress, I just want to know what people think about the issue.

Most Helpful Guy

• dress in what makes you happy, compromising on something as simple as that puts you on the road to being whipped.

• @ update: I wear shorts and band t shirts pretty much year round whether it's hot or not. if they want a well dressed man then keep looking past me.

What Girls Said 9

• When it comes to guys, the only style I hate is the pants that sag. Otherwise, I don't really care. I find the indie rock style attractive link so guys that dress like that are more likely to catch my attention.

• The way you dress is one of my favorite ways for a guy to dress, actually. :D

But anyway, it doesn't matter all that much to me.

• if you could put a pic up it would be easier to see how it works.

on some people it looks better than others, I personally go for guys who work what they are wearing. if that means hoodies and jeans, sweats... whatever.

I don't think it matters, a make is just a make, be comfortable in what you wear and you'll rock it basically.

• He doesn't necessarily have to be well dressed, but at least put together. I don't like it when guys look like total slobs and look like he put on the first thing that he sees. It also depends on the type of girl. Some like the whole grunge look and others don't. I personally don't like it, but that's my opinion.

• A guy should dress according to his personality. I personally don't really like guys who are overly worried about the way the dress, but at least a little effort is expected. Check if it looks OK before going out.

Also, I think that the way you dress is pretty hot, just as long it's you ;)

• I actually think it's pretty hot when guys dresses like that. Band t-shirts are the way to go. Plus, guys who put too much thought into what they wear can sometimes come across as cocky. I know some girls might disagree with me... but whatever. (:

• no, go simple

• i like the way you dress :)

• I strongly prefer well dressed guys, I don't really like guys who look scruffy and don't pay attention to how they look. I want a guy who is good looking to me and makes an effort.

What Guys Said 3

• Can you not find the middle ground? Between looking like a French Euro pop ponce, and an American, slovenly scruff-bag at the other. Obviously it's your choice, but I think it comes under the umbrella of taking some consideration into your appearance and how you're perceived. I think it's important to make some effort, without going to the extremes of it consuming your life. If I wanted to be comfortable and not care what others thought of me, I'd just wear jogging pants everywhere I went. Given I want to command at least some respect, and get laid every hour and then, I don't.

• To be honest I have never seen "the cool guy" wearing like that, they usually use what everybody uses girls do care about fashion and if you wanna succeed I would recommend changing the way you dress, just my opinion though.

• I'm like you fashion doesn't mean much to me. However I do like to look good and therefore I suppose this makes me have an interest in it. Whether you like what is termed fashionable at the time is irrelevant. Just by asking this question you are kind of contradicting yourself as you are obviously interested enough in the image you present to care.

• I was just wondering if my scruffy attire would be an issue for some girls. I've never really thought about it before until I read something on here about liking "guy's dressing the part".

Everone wants to present a good image, and how I dress kind of defines part of my character, but my "style" might me seen as scruffy to some people and might be a turn off. Either way I'm not going to dress in expensive designer clothes...it wouldn't feel like me.