Should I wear braces on my legs again, or should I just take my chances and not do it because they are ugly?

Ok a little background, I am 20 and I have cerebral palsy, (spastic diplegia) and basically I use a cane and I used to wear braces on my legs (because I "pop" back in my knees) until like 7th grade when I decided they aren't cute and I don't wanna wear them anymore. Well I saw a doctor on Monday who said it would be in my best interest to wear them again to save my knees because in the future I could really ruin my knees. OK so I can't decide if I want to heed his advice and just do it or just ignore it and take my chances. I am 20 years old now and I care a lot about my image, I am young and pretty. I am lucky, I have an AMAZING boyfriend and when I told him he was like "it doesn't matter you're still going to be beautiful" , and as much as I am almost for sure he is like THE ONE... I hope we would never break up, but if we do then how am I going to find another guy? I lucked out and met a great guy who didn't care about me having a handicap but I don't think there are many guys like that. What guy will date a girl with braces on her legs, I REFUSE to be a loser... I mean I think its rough enough attracting the kind of guys I like now and having a disability just makes it ten times harder to pull decent guys so why would I want to hamper that by looking like a loser in braces... like... no I just think I should... take my chances and whatever...

I am really considering just getting the braces and wearing them again for like distant walking, but the thing is I want to get married and have babies... who is going to want to marry me? I mean it sucks but all I have to rely on is the fact that I am attractive (to some) and I am nice... if I don't have pretty then what? What attracts guys to girls? being pretty... guys don't like ugly girls, and I already have enough issues with my handicap why would any guy want to deal with that?

Most Helpful Girl

• ok common sense...if your boyfriend is encouraging you to get them and that he'll still like you then I don't understand why you won't do it. and even if he said ew that's gross I won't be with you...you still know what would be best for you and that's to get the braces. Obviously if you don't get them your going to get worse. so your taking the chance of these are your words "actually being a loser" and messing up your legs more or getting better with the braces. Real guys don't care about beauty they care about what's on the inside. No one wants a dumb pretty girl so be smart and get the braces. A guy that loves and cares for you will be there no matter what issues you have. So don't worry about it. do what you need too.

I use to wear a back brace before I got surgery and there were people that picked on me all the time...though I wasn't a loser and I would never say you are just because you have a handicap. People includinmg my boyfriend tell me I'm pretty all the time, I would have been a hunch back with out the brace around my back...you gotta do what you gotta do.

What Guys Said 4

• In the society we live in today I can see your viewpoint on why you wouldn't want to wear it. But honestly, is it really possible to fully please anyone, everyone tends to look for flaws in anyone or anything. I don't think it is worthwhile even taking notice, It sounds like you have an awesome boyfreind who really likes you.

If wearing the braces save your knees, I see no reason you shouldn't wear them :). You're boyfreind stated himself how little it matters to him, he obviously knew about it before he got with you and he looked past that because he likes you. I don't think braces would make you a loser at all, as shallow as people are in general, there are still many who would want to be with you. I don't see how it would affect your level of attractiveness at all, You're boyfreind sees it that way to, just go for it :P

• I can't tell if you're trolling or not...

• Holy crap, this is a serious question? It would be best to get the braces. If you think you will look like a loser for wearing a brace, imagine how you would look if it did ruin your knee. I don't think it would be an issue for most guys. That's not really something you can control, and it doesn't affect one's attractiveness.

• I am not going to hold something that you have no control over against you that would make me a huge asshole! I would wear the braces save your knees and besides I hardly look anywhere by at a girls face

• Why would that make you a loser?

What Girls Said 4

• Your health is much more important than looks or being perceived as a loser.

If looks mean THAT much to you let me put things in perspective. Wearing the braces for this short-term amount of time and having not worry about it again isn't as "bad" as being disabled in the near-future for the rest of your life and being confined to a wheelchair. Personally, I don't know anyone that looks at people with disabilities as losers tbh. There's guys out there that will want a person like you handicapped or not. What needs work is your self-confidence and self-esteem. Personality keeps the guy not the looks.

Either way it goes, you shouldn't worry about finding your spouse now anyways you're 20 not 45 your "time" isn't about to run out.

• Just wear them when you can. You don't have to wear them all the time. Don't wear them when you go out to meet guys if you don't want to. But you can still wear them at other times when you feel more comfortable and that will help out your legs.

• Why would anyone use the braces as a reason not to be with you if they're serious about your relationship? My friend has the exact same problem. She's gorgeous and has a great boyfriend who really cares for you her. You should wear the braces on your legs again to prevent future problems! :-)

• wear theem if you need them for long term medical reasons. it's not worth it to not wear them