Why do I look cute in the mirror but not in pictures?

so today I walked past a mirror, then stopped and thought "oh, I look cute today". I decided to take a picture because I haven't changed my profile pic in forever. I took a picture, then looked at it, and I looked awful. huh?

Most Helpful Girl

• The bad news is: photographs are actually a more accurate representation than mirrors.

The good news is: photographs only capture you at an instant in time and in 2 dimensions. Posing can look awkward and staged, and candid shots often catch us in an awkward way. Lighting can also change the way a photo turns out. So a photograph isn't necessarily representative of how people see you in person.

What Guys Said 5

• link

# 3

• lol that makes me feel like a douche.

• Yeah, there's no such thing as photogenic. There's just good looking or bad looking.

• not entirely true. I have a friend who is really hot in real life but in photos she never looks good. and it's not just me who thinks she's good looking, it's like every guy who meets her. but yeah, in photos she looks kinda gross, actually.

• Ive had this same problem before, I thought that in order to appreciate a person you have to see every part, when you take a picture your taking a 2 dimensional picture of a 3 dimensional object. Basically, no body looks better in a photo than they do in person.

• The lighting might have made things more visible or darker in areas

• Wheres the lighting coming from? The best lighting is two sources of light - one from either side, just in front of you - the more light coming at you than from behind you, the better the picture. What's the angle of the camera? Sliiiightly pointing down is better than slightly pointing up. Consider little things like that. Taking a good photograph is an art, its not just about looking good =]

• i think you look good from behind too :)

What Girls Said 4

• I think action photos show more emotion, where as in a posed photograph you can focus on appearance far too much. Go for group photos when everyone is having a good time, because you will remember how you felt at the time and it will trigger an emotional response. That is much more attractive than a planned out shot. Don't be too critical of yourself :)

• i look terrible in pics but nevertheless , I still like to take pics.

• Haha story of my life. I think it's just because you're 3D in a mirror but 2D in a picture.

• some people just look like assholes in pics.. I know I do :(