Do (straight) men really believe in "inner beauty"?

it seems that the majority of people who actually feel that "inner beauty" is more important than "outer beauty" are other women.

I think that most (straight) men will say this to avoid pissing women off but in fact, women have to reach a certain level of attractiveness before they can be considered as a potential girlfriend. So the inner beauty is a pleasant bonus while the outer beauty is a prerequisite.

I've met women who thought that a guy was not that good-looking, but eventually got together with the guy because they loved his personality (and vice versa, thinking that a guy is hot but eventually finding him unattractive because of his personality).

However, I've never heard a man say "I thought she was kind of ugly until I met & talked to her, her personality makes her beautiful"!

I think it's a huge cosmic joke that I'm not a lesbian...

Most Helpful Guy

• Whaddya mean inner beauty? Ya mean like her liver, and kidneys and intestines and stuff? Bleeeecccckkkkk! What's wrong with ya! Ya mean gay guys like that stuff? Come to think of it, Lady Gaga looks a little like a kidney!

• I just imagined a "Hot Wet Spleens"-type p*rn site, hahaa...

I mentioned the gay/straight thing because I've found that the only men who have told me I'm cute/pretty/whatever are gay (maybe to cheer me up?) It's very sweet, but kind of funny, since they're not actually attracted to women..

I guess my question should have been more along the lines of "would you date a woman who had a great personality but who you didn't find physically attractive?"

• Ahhh, Hot Wet Spleens! Now your talking! ; - )

What Guys Said 7

• I do. Attraction is bigger for me than just looks. You could be physically attractive but just not have a personality that clicks with me, or I find the girl to be a rude idiot. It turns me off instantly. I find strong character, humor and good manor very attractive traits. Looks can only get you so far with me.

I do believe in inner beauty. Some women have a presence about them, an aura that is beyond their looks that can draw you in.

• Men and women are different. While men focus more on appearance, girls focus more on social and financial status. But personalities count for both genders.

Would a guy date a girl that had a personality more than looks? Would a girl date a guy that didn't have a job? Both answers are "yes". The people are out there, the only problem being they're like diamonds, hard to find...

• There is no denying that physical attraction plays some role and anyone who says otherwise truthfully is a better person than I can ever hope to be but that being said what will keep me around is your personality if you have an ugly personality I will have no interest in you

• Most definitely. I mean with guys appearance is what catches our attention early on, because it takes time to see the inner beauty in some cases. Inner beauty is way more valuable than outter beauty though, and only a fool would think otherwise.

• I can't be with someone who I am not attracted to.. I mean, come on, it's pretty important that you can actually imagine being in bed with someone. But in the end I prefer a nice smart girl with average over a dumb hot chick. Cus yeah, personality matters a lot in a relationship.

• DANG... I found my wife to be one of the most beautiful people inside... and I was proven right... so yes, str8 dudes do find women's inner beauty to be stimulating.

• haha, of course, you're married, you have to think that your wife has inner beauty! Most guys who are attached/married will go on and on about the importance of inner beauty because they know that women believe in it. As mentioned below, when it's a dating scenario, it's a very different case!

• I wasn't always married- when I was single, I valued inner beauty as well.

• I think men, more than women, look want a partner that's easy to live with.

What Girls Said 0